Clyde vs Elgin City

Good performance in the first half but my word, we done our best to throw that away. An absolute let off with Dingwall putting the penalty over the bar because if that had went in I have no doubt that we’d have conceded another. As has been said already, we were crying out for some experience just to calm us down. Putting Ji Stevenson on left midfield and Mulvanny up top was a very questionable move. Carswell and King as a pairing don’t work well for me as Carswell sits very deep and King sits high, creating a huge gap in centre midfield where you really need at least one body constantly occupying that space.

Some positives though beyond simply winning a game. Leslie looks a player. Young looks like a centre forward and showed up well. Going two up top is the answer to a lot of questions in League 2, in my opinion. A great goal by King, who had some other decent flashes before dropping out the game.  It was McCulloch’s best showing in a Clyde jersey so far. 

Great feeling winning that but we’ll have much tougher tests to come, Elgin look complete dung and still caused us problems. 

Getting any sort of win is a great feeling, but we don’t half make it hard for ourselves. Felt like we fell off a cliff after the 2nd goal - we were brilliant up until then and that needs to be the standard going forward. 

Leslie and King should be cheat codes at this level albeit the latter jaded as the game went on I felt. What a ping for his goal, though. It’d be ideal if we can keep them beyond January, but we’ll have won the league by then so who cares. Really impressed with Connor Young, as well. 

Cruised first half.. as often happens 2-0 early can be dangerous when we don’t get a third.
The OG obviously gave Elgin a chink of light and we understandably given we haven’t won in weeks got nervous and tbh key players tired. Carswell beside King was excellent but probably doesn’t have 90 mins in him now which is a problem for us. A proper younger CM would make all the difference.

Overall will take that 3 points every day. Two CH were great today as was Lyon actually and Keeper too. Two great goals we scored. 
As I say I won’t be to hard on the side for last half hours performance, I’m sure nerves and Carswell and Rennie not finishing the game was significant. 

Would really appreciate a deeply detailed analysis of Young’s performance so that I can get excited about watching him before making my glorious return to watch our Galacticos at the fabulous Clyde Soccer Academy of Training and Excellence, Larbert.

Spoiler

To watch us get pumped 3-0.

We really should’ve been seeing that game out quite comfortably given how pish Elgin were. Any sort of setback and we absolutely collapse though, that sort of mentality will have to stop. 

2 really good goals, and what a difference having the likes of King, Leslie and Young make up front around rennie. 

Had got to a point we just needed to win in any sort of fashion, now having done that hopefully settles everyone a bit. 

39 minutes ago, SReplay said:

Would really appreciate a deeply detailed analysis of Young’s performance so that I can get excited about watching him before making my glorious return to watch our Galacticos at the fabulous Clyde Soccer Academy of Training and Excellence, Larbert.

Reveal hidden contents

To watch us get pumped 3-0.

He's got a bit of everything, really. Works hard, has a bit of trickery about him with a decent touch, fairly tall and quite quick too. He looks to be comfortable on his weaker foot as well, which is never a bad thing. Made the wrong decision on a couple of occasions, but his work for the opening goal was terrific. Saw enough today to be wishing he was tied down for two years rather than Mulvanny, put it that way.

Carswell played a few hospital balls and still doesn't look totally up to speed but, as has been said, he was miles better than what followed him. A half-fit Ray Grant still pisses all over him though.

I actually thought that was a pretty poor showing by McCulloch's recent standards; he was caught out by a lot of long balls in that second half.

20 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Thought Carswell was just what we needed in the middle of the park today, very assured at times.

Still not sure about McCulloch defensively at times but a big improvement since the Brechin game in him. 

Agree with this, finally see why we signed him.  Also after the penalty miss he was shouting and trying to get them to rally.  Hopefully he can get up to 90 mins soon!

We absolutely dominated that first half and probably could’ve been more than 2 ahead at half time. Great team goal for the first and outstanding shitpinger by King for the second.

Thought Sula and Dunachie were excellent together at centre back. Re Sula’s OG, he has to go for it otherwise the Elgin player has a tap in at the back post anyway, just unfortunate it goes in the bottom corner beyond Leighfield.

Carswell and King were great in the centre of the park first half but obv tired as the second half went on. Carswell will be a bit behind the rest of the squad fitness wise given he was injured pre season. 

Rennie looked good up top, held the ball up well, won headers and had some nice touches as well as rounding off a great team move for his goal.

Impressed by Young too, he looks to have all the attributes needed for a good striker at this level. night and day from the likes of Doherty last season.

After the OG went in we seemed to panic a bit and were lucky they skied the penalty but too many players started panicking on the ball. Glad to get over the line and build on today, though. Nobody had a poor game. Even Lyon got pass marks for me which says something!

And up until the OG Elgin were the worst side I’ve seen us play in a long time.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Two brilliant goals. First goal is every bit as pleasing as the second. Young in particular does really well. Great first touch, a quick pass, quick feet when he gets the return and another fantastic ball through for Hynes to square. King’s strike could easily be GotS already.

Edited by SReplay

They really were two great goals, which made it all the more frustrating second half when they shrunk into their shells a bit. Like I said, King clearly has some amount to learn about discipline in midfield - he wouldn't be here otherwise - and, if he can learn that between now and January, then that added touch of stardust will be a huge asset for us; it's been a long time since we've had a player capable of the goal he produced today. Young - whisper it - looks like a fabulous signing; I'm already looking forward to seeing more of him.