Dumbarton vs Stranraer

Kalvin Orsi would be a Championship level player if he had any end product whatsoever after beating his man. He can’t/won’t shoot and his delivery is terrible 80% of the time.

If he could add shooting or crossing to his game he would be tearing it up for us.

Hopefully that win will settle us down, especially after losing the first goal.  Whilst there was as a good deal to admire - Shiels was superb, Ruth's trademark industry was rewarded with a goal and Carlo's energy was great - I'd like to think we have much more to come against better sides than Stranraer were today.  In particular the final ball often leaves much to be desired.

So I must admit I thought we looked quite good yesterday. Whether it was the lack of quality in our opponents or we were just sharper remains to be said. 

If anything I thought the midfield done excellent at pressing Stranraer out the game. You could clearly see Aggy is trying to get them to get the ball down and play a bit but we pressed that well. 

And again….Another week will go by without Michael Ruth getting the credit he deserves. He was brilliant yesterday. His hold up play is fantastic. He’s strong, quick and runs the lines like a proper striker! PLAY HIM EVERY WEEK FAZ

That was very easy today. Stranraer were very passive out of possession, making little to no attempt to press and in possession lack any sort of quality. We did what we had to do, remained patient and kept possession of the ball. I thought we were regularly a threat going forward. The creative spark and talent is all there to control games and score loads of goals at this level, but decision making is clearly the main hurdle in the final third.

The start of the first half was sort of similar to the Peterhead game in that we came flying out the traps (maybe not quite as much so) and got well on top before the game quickly calmed down. I would need to watch the goal we conceded again to see if anyone was at fault but it was 1 of about 3 occasions Stranraer had a decent sight of goal all game. 

The equaliser came near enough immediately. A good move ended with a Kalvin Orsi cross being air kicked a couple of times with an empty net glaring but there was still enough time for Tony Wallace to stab it in. After the first goal, the second always looked likely to come soon rather than later. This time a whipped cross by Shields (I think?) was palmed straight out by the goalkeeper giving Ryan Wallace a fairly easy finish from 7/8 yards out.

After half-time I would say nothing changed. It was a game of one half, repeated twice. We kept the majority of possession, fans would groan when we didn’t go straight forward and lose the ball. A nice passing move ended with Ruth having so much time in the box and he took what felt like an age before calmly slotting home into the bottom left corner. From that stage onwards we still controlled the game, however Stranraer switched to a very front-heavy formation which left them badly exposed in defensive transition and on 7/8 occasions we broke forward dangerously but failed to choose the right option.

The 4-2-3-1 formation certainly looked good today and I really enjoyed some of the football. We have all been watch football long enough though to know that what looks great one week can be hopeless the next. In all honesty it was just a slightly different version of the 3-5-2 as Malcom would regularly drop into the full back zone with Shields and Pignateillo bombing forwards. 

Ryan Wallace and Ruth complement each other very well imo. Wallace would come deep and Ruth would run the channel. Previously when Wallace would come deep he had absolutely nobody ahead of him. Tony Wallace has a knack of picking up goals but from overall play I’m not convinced by him in particular. Just seems off the pace/slow. David Wilson had a great game, while he lack physicality he certainly has quality on the ball most of the time. Pignateillo actually made a few bad decisions going forward yesterday but even still it was decent performance. I would probably give MOTM to either Shields or Ruth. Everyone looked particularly buzzing for Ruth when he scored.

Interesting reading some of the comments on here! I felt yesterday we really lacked in the midfield. We had no link from defence to attack and other than our right wing. The only time we done anything dangerous down the other side was our 2nd goal. I thought we were flat in the centre of the pitch though and it's not that Wilson and Malcolm done anything wrong, but they don't want to get on the ball enough and don't look to split the opposition with a killer pass. Someone like Hilton, who's on the bench for some bizarre reason, would be much more creative in those areas I think.

I also said a few weeks ago that I feel that R Wallace and Ruth could be the dream strike force and we seen at times how that would really work. Waldo has a great football brain and also looks to split the opposition backline with balls in behind. Ruth has the legs to run in behind and get on the end of things. Given time, I think it could really work well.

We should have scored more though and I really hope we can learn to be more cut throat because, if goal difference comes into play at any point then games like this will be where we look back and think we should have had a couple more.

Excellent highlights as always from Stranraer. I'd kill for us to have something like that!

That third goal is terrific. Stranraer are defending like its a walkthrough in a training drill, but the whole build up is lovely. It's quick, it's measured, it's following a clear direction and the finish from Ruth is very tidy. Nice to see both of our strikers scoring the sort of goals we've been missing all season with Ruth's finish and Wallace taking advantage of a goalkeeping mistake.

The start of those highlights show how much of a total shitehole our stadium really is. The amount of junk lying around is embarassing, from old pitch covers (that never, ever get used) to rusty wheelbarrows and those mingin’ wee chairs next to the dugout we obviously expect players and coaching staff to sit on. The track round the pitch is completely overgrown with weeds and there even looks like some sort of old fridge and an old polis cone sitting in the far side corner at the home end. What a bunch of absolute minks we are!

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The start of those highlights show how much of a total shitehole our stadium really is. The amount of junk lying around is embarassing, from old pitch covers (that never, ever get used) to rusty wheelbarrows and those mingin’ wee chairs next to the dugout we obviously expect players and coaching staff to sit on. The track round the pitch is completely overgrown with weeds and there even looks like some sort of old fridge and an old polis cone sitting in the far side corner at the home end. What a bunch of absolute minks we are!

I agree, and suggest that we should cease all streaming forthwith.