Rangers v Hearts League Cup Semi

Stylish Kid

2 hours ago, Ooooft. said:

It must be exhausting supporting Rangers constantly having to bat of dodgy ref accusations, penalties not awarded suspicions and general all round cheatiness. Too many of these things remain unexplained and the Rangers fans are perfectly happy with that. No smoke. Fire etc.

The smoke generally comes from paranoid Celtic fans, to be fair.

Even this week it has went into overdrive despite every one of our 4 penalties awarded being the correct decision. Some simply can’t see past that and would rather just claim conspiracy.

Edited by AJF

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

Even this week it has went into overdrive despite every one of our 4 penalties awarded being the correct decision. Some simply can’t see past that and would rather just claim conspiracy.

The lack of penalties awarded against you in the league , with all the added VAR technology is baffling to anyone who doesn’t support Rangers.

Just now, Stevie Kirk said:

The lack of penalties awarded against you in the league , with all the added VAR technology is baffling to anyone who doesn’t support Rangers.

Indeed, and I agree it’s an anomaly (hopefully I won’t get criticised again for using that term).

However in the context of the last 7 or 8 days where things have really cranked up, I fail to take the criticisms seriously when the penalties awarded for and against us, were all correct.

Additionally, I also seen a stat earlier that mentions since we were promoted to the top league in 2016, we have had more penalties awarded against us in domestic cup matches compared to any other top flight team (83% more than Celtic)but that seems to be just glossed over because it doesn’t totally fit the narrative. Just some balance to be added.

23 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’m not talking about stonewall penalties for  you - it’s the not conceding any that baffles folk. Also, John Beaton should not be allowed anywhere near a Rangers fixture.  It’s an embarrassment that he is. Then all the financial shenanigans with the previous club. It’s all very cheatcentric. Must be shite knowing that. Accepting it must be even worse.

3 minutes ago, Ooooft. said:

I’m not talking about stonewall penalties for  you - it’s the not conceding any that baffles folk. Also, John Beaton should not be allowed anywhere near a Rangers fixture.  It’s an embarrassment that he is. Then all the financial shenanigans with the previous club. It’s all very cheatcentric. Must be shite knowing that. Accepting it must be even worse.

Which brings me back to my question of why has it gone into overdrive the last 7 or 8 days then? 

7 hours ago, lennyzer0 said:

The second one against Hearts was only a penalty because a foul on a Hearts player immediately prior to it was ignored. But the other 3 were stick on penalties, yeah.

The really 'funny' thing - for a very specific definition of funny - was how desperate Walsh was *not* to give a penalty against you yesterday and how quick he was to try and send Kingsley off, in the hope that VAR didn't get involved.

The hearts boy was holding goldson shirt long before lundstram got close to him, 

And yes walsh was desperate not to give it apparently, remind me again how much beaton and clancy didnt want to give rangers penalties only for VAR to basically tell them they missed it

45 minutes ago, Ooooft. said:

The same John Beaton who, had VAR not been in the game, "missed" a stonewall penalty against hearts that turned the game in our favour

13 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

The same John Beaton who, had VAR not been in the game, "missed" a stonewall penalty against hearts that turned the game in our favour

Mate, you can throw all the incidents you want at me - but if you don’t think it’s odd that a guy who poses for pictures with Rangers fans in a Rangers pub gets to ref Rangers games, then you do you.

14 minutes ago, Ooooft. said:

Mate, you can throw all the incidents you want at me - but if you don’t think it’s odd that a guy who poses for pictures with Rangers fans in a Rangers pub gets to ref Rangers games, then you do you.

Was he actually pictured posing with Rangers fans? As far is I recall, he was pictured in a pub where a Rangers Supporters Bus leaves from, but posing with fans I don’t recall.

13 minutes ago, AJF said:

Was he actually pictured posing with Rangers fans? As far is I recall, he was pictured in a pub where a Rangers Supporters Bus leaves from, but posing with fans I don’t recall.

I can’t see fans of other clubs drinking in The Crown Bar can you? Never mind getting pictured with him.

IMG_9677.jpeg

1 minute ago, Ooooft. said:

I can’t see fans of other clubs drinking in The Crown Bar can you? Never mind getting pictured with him.

IMG_9677.jpeg

I’ve never set foot in the place so I couldn’t say, but if it’s anything like the pub my own bus leaves from then you will get mixed fans in there. And without sounding flippant, how do we know this isn’t a picture of him and a mate or family member? 

Just now, Ooooft. said:

And aye, this…

IMG_9678.jpeg

Oaft, I think this flag done its job - which was to rile up Celtic fans.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’ve never set foot in the place so I couldn’t say, but if it’s anything like the pub my own bus leaves from then you will get mixed fans in there. And without sounding flippant, how do we know this isn’t a picture of him and a mate or family member? 

Aye there was a rogue star struck Motherwell fan in that night :lol: 

Do you though? Wind up or not, Do you really think it’s normal having Beaton reffing your games? 

ETA: like I said earlier, must be tiring having to defend this dodgy shite all the time.

Edited by Ooooft.

I think the most reasonable position to take is that it's worthy of some kind of explanation or investigation as there is a question around the integrity of the Scottish game in my opinion. I understand people are going to take a self interested view defending their club, but don't agree with it in this instance and I think this issue around our referees needs addressed preferably by some independent body.

You can always cast doubt on something or take up the advocate position, but I think there is enough there to ask the question about bias and loyalties within our referees in Scotland and potentially look to finding a more sustainable longer term solution.

Edited by 2426255

35 minutes ago, Ooooft. said:

Aye there was a rogue star struck Motherwell fan in that night :lol: 

Do you though? Wind up or not, Do you really think it’s normal having Beaton reffing your games? 

ETA: like I said earlier, must be tiring having to defend this dodgy shite all the time.

But that’s my point, it’s growing arms and legs because you’re assuming this is a random Rangers fan he is getting a picture with.

I am assuming he went to the pub with mates that night so would it not be equally reasonable to suggest it could be a friend of family member?

Assumptions made without any real knowledge.

I totally accept the optics of him going out to a pub, whether that is his local or not I don’t know, after that game. But it was the festive period and he genuinely could’ve just been going out with mates.

That’s not defending anything, it’s just assuming less than others because nobody really knows.

34 minutes ago, AJF said:

But that’s my point, it’s growing arms and legs because you’re assuming this is a random Rangers fan he is getting a picture with.

I am assuming he went to the pub with mates that night so would it not be equally reasonable to suggest it could be a friend of family member?

Assumptions made without any real knowledge.

I totally accept the optics of him going out to a pub, whether that is his local or not I don’t know, after that game. But it was the festive period and he genuinely could’ve just been going out with mates.

That’s not defending anything, it’s just assuming less than others because nobody really knows.

For me it's not about that one video at the cup semi-final. It adds to the existing question marks which I think are legitimate and have a right to be asked and answered especially if there is a question around the integrity of the game. It is understood that fans will defend their own club's interests and position and that's fine, but for neutrals I think there is a question that needs answered.

In a nutshell it brings back a discussion that has never been satisfactorily resolved. Are referees in our game subject to a conflict of interest? What is the resulting risk of bias? What is the risk to the integrity of the Scottish Game?

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, AJF said:

It’s a rangers bar mate. It states that on their website which is adorned with Union Jacks.  They describe it as a “vibrant hub for die hard Rangers fans “ 

Its not the sort of place that a referee that regularly takes Rangers games should be seen in but here we are.

5 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

It’s a rangers bar mate. It states that on their website which is adorned with Union Jacks.  They describe it as a “vibrant hub for die hard Rangers fans “ 

Its not the sort of place that a referee that regularly takes Rangers games should be seen in but here we are.

I think you always have to pursue the truth no matter if it is unpalatable, no matter if it against your team. If I were a Rangers fan or any other team I wouldn't want there to be a question around referees to be helping my get my team over the line.

There is enough to warrant the situation being looked at just from a neutral point of view. Even without the additional view that the semi-final video provided us with or the stuff around referees frequenting Rangers pubs the way the SFA handles this refereeing issue isn't open or transparent and that is something I'd look to change. 

Edited by 2426255