Edinburgh derby: big physical Hearts v Hibs diving team

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

We did. Mixu penalty miss was the same season as the 6-2 game.

Mixu penalty miss was the wee Hearts allocation because of the rebuild.

Bittersweet one for Hearts that day. The end of the game was hilarious, but that draw also meant our first season without a win over Hibs for about 20 years.

8 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

26 quid i believe.  Even winning 4 nil the week before didn't really shift a lot of folk.  I was there but loads didn't go

There are certain conversations from years ago that stick in the mind.

I remember clearly my old man telling me there was not a fucking prayer of spending what Hibs were asking for that game to go and see a match we could watch on the telly. It's hard to put yourself back in time far enough to remember how outrageous 26 quid was then. I think the previous season had been 15. I've got the ticket lying around somewhere. Maybe 18. * Yes, I am that sad. Just found it in my old ticket envelope. March 2000, 18 quid to get in. The following season, 26 quid. The equivalent of a fourteen quid price rise today.

Was a weird time for clubs trying to both join English clubs in cashing in on price rises post-all seater and taking into account that people could just watch on telly now. Hibs were way over the score for a few years in terms of pricing, and it showed in these games.

I think they all charge too much these days anyway and only occasionally get along to see Hearts. So, tomorrow I'll be following this one on the radio from Clyde v Dumbarton.

Edited by DoingThe42

Hibernian had about 9,000 season ticket holders at the time of the 6-2 game yet the Hibs end with even higher ticket prices in the East and West was sold out.   Yet the big team Rover drivers protested about ticket prices and never went because was on TV and nothing to do with us being top of the league and knowing they would get smashed :lol:  

Mon the fuckin cabbage. 

4 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Anyone else think this might be off tomorrow if the weather gets worse?

Came on just to ask this. I'm in West Edinburgh,  it's heavy already and not scheduled to stop. Our drainage is genuinely really good so might cope, but pitch could end up a bit of a mess if it goes ahead.

15 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Hibernian had about 9,000 season ticket holders at the time of the 6-2 game yet the Hibs end with even higher ticket prices in the East and West was sold out.   Yet the big team Rover drivers protested about ticket prices and never went because was on TV and nothing to do with us being top of the league and knowing they would get smashed :lol:  

Mon the fuckin cabbage. 

We weren't worried about being smashed. Hibs were favourites but we went into the game having won 4 out of 5, one of which was beating a good Stuttgart team and we'd scored 10 goals in the 3 games before it. We weren't exactly going in as a rabble.

Plus you weren't top of the league, not even close. It was 100% about ticket prices. Apart from that though it's a good bit bravado.

10 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Came on just to ask this. I'm in West Edinburgh,  it's heavy already and not scheduled to stop. Our drainage is genuinely really good so might cope, but pitch could end up a bit of a mess if it goes ahead.

Hopefully the weather improves by a few hours before kick off. 

When was the last time a Derby was called off due to bad weather.

10 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Im pretty sure had you thought you were gonnae pump us there wouldn't have been any random protest.   We pumped the **** to go top of the league the week before (Zitelli 1-0).  You boys knew what was coming. 

Hibs were 8 points off the top of the league going into the 6-2 game. In October.

Just now, Lyle Lanley said:

Hopefully the weather improves by a few hours before kick off. 

When was the last time a Derby was called off due to bad weather.

Can mind a new year's Derby about 96 or 97 being called off at ER. Other than that I can't think of one.

Just now, DoingThe42 said:

Think that was 95? We won 2-0 when they played it and John Miller scored.

Aye that'll be it, I was only a bairn so the memory isn't that strong. Think that's the last time it happened unless I am missing something obvious. 

5 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Aye that'll be it, I was only a bairn so the memory isn't that strong. Think that's the last time it happened unless I am missing something obvious. 

That one was at Tynecastle. I can't remember an Easter Road one being off.

We lost there new year 96 and then beat them 4-0 there a year later, and the other trips there around that time all went ahead as far as I can remember. I think they were the only winter trips.

Just now, DoingThe42 said:

That one was at Tynecastle. I can't remember an Easter Road one being off.

We lost there new year 96 and then beat them 4-0 there a year later, and the other trips there around that time all went ahead as far as I can remember. I think they were the only winter trips.

I'll have had it wrong. I mind having a big family party, game being off and my Hibee uncle claiming we had fans sabotaging the pitch to get it abandoned 😂

4 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I'll have had it wrong. I mind having a big family party, game being off and my Hibee uncle claiming we had fans sabotaging the pitch to get it abandoned 😂

Just checked London Hearts.

1994 and 1995 new year games at Tynecastle were both postponed. John Miller scored in both games when they were played, which explains why I'd thought he scored twice in 95.

94 was a 1-1 draw and 95 McPherson and Miller scored in a 2-0 win.

I'd completely forgotten the 94 one, but now having seen it on LH I can remember Miller's goal. Weird.

9 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Anyone else think this might be off tomorrow if the weather gets worse?

9 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Weather is bad, but I am pretty sure I have been to loads of games where its pished down all week in the lead up.

Recent new pitch at tynecastle had (iirc) new drainage installed so I dont see this being an issue.

Spoiler

Although as someone unlucky in the ticket lottery, I am no going out in that weather, f**k that !

15 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Weather is bad, but I am pretty sure I have been to loads of games where its pished down all week in the lead up.

Recent new pitch at tynecastle had (iirc) new drainage installed so I dont see this being an issue.

Reveal hidden contents

Although as someone unlucky in the ticket lottery, I am no going out in that weather, f**k that !

Yeah pitch will hold up IMO. As someone else said, if it's off it won't be because of that it'll be surrounding areas etc