15 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Just back in to heat up despite all the winter gear in a windblown stadium. A game where two defensive errors produced two goals . I could argue that Gallagher's one was at least a skillful finish so I suppose I should concede that the Queen's guy took full advantage of Rae's assist. That kind of play it out from the back error has been ever a risk this season.

Thought Ferrie had a couple of good saves and a draw was probably fair. Somehow we've got to the top four but I thought our midfield never really got going tonight. 

First quarter over so quite pleased even if my prediction failed again. 

Warmed up at last. 

Would say the QP players finish was also a very skilful finish but doesn’t seem too hard to leave Josh Rae sitting on his arse by the look of it 

25 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Would say the QP players finish was also a very skilful finish but doesn’t seem too hard to leave Josh Rae sitting on his arse by the look of it 

I said this after the game against you guys and got stick from some other Airdrie fans because he was the least of our worries that day, but the way he deals with one on ones just seems ridiculous to me.

I think 3 times against you guys he was walked round by the attacker, and again tonight. He's a big guy, at least make the striker make a good finish by making yourself big and making him beat you, like Ferrie did to Gallagher tonight who needed a really good finish to score. Rae just lunges out, risks getting sent-off (which he's done twice already) and makes it so easy for the striker to jink round him and tap home. I've no doubt strikers have noticed this too.

Clearly I'm not a professional level goalkeeper, so you could say what do I know (which most of the time is fair enough!), but I can't remember seeing any other goalies doing what he does so regularly, so it can't just be me.

12 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He's a big guy, at least make the striker make a good finish by making yourself big and making him beat you, like Ferrie did to Gallagher tonight who needed a really good finish to score.

You mean like Rae did the first half when Longridge was through when he actually saved us from going a goal down.

Any iota of clinical-ness from either side would have won that game last night.

Thought McGregor looked a bit over-awed by it and I think he's starting to get found out slightly, in that he can put the afterburners on and go past a player but thats really it. McStravick looked a real bright spark and I feel out wide might very well be his best position as I wouldn't want to make our midfield any more lightweight - the physicality of the match meant that Aiken & McMaster couldn't really get in to the game. Todorov makes for a useful plan-B but when he comes on he really has to make the chances count, like Gal does.

All in all top 4 and 13 points from a quarter is a good start. I'm certainly not one of the doom-merchants who believes "playing out from the back is killing us" or that the "directors need finger get out" and I think the style of play has probably got us to where we are. We still need perspective imo - anything higher than eighth place is a success for us this season, despite Rhys' optomism.

14 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I said this after the game against you guys and got stick from some other Airdrie fans because he was the least of our worries that day, but the way he deals with one on ones just seems ridiculous to me.

I think 3 times against you guys he was walked round by the attacker, and again tonight. He's a big guy, at least make the striker make a good finish by making yourself big and making him beat you, like Ferrie did to Gallagher tonight who needed a really good finish to score. Rae just lunges out, risks getting sent-off (which he's done twice already) and makes it so easy for the striker to jink round him and tap home. I've no doubt strikers have noticed this too.

Clearly I'm not a professional level goalkeeper, so you could say what do I know (which most of the time is fair enough!), but I can't remember seeing any other goalies doing what he does so regularly, so it can't just be me.

At times he has been further forward than a few of the defenders, which is very risky strategy, as we found out against Dundee United and his distribution is not the best (apart from last night) he should stick to keeping the ball out of the net and clearing his lines.

Edited by Rio 2

33 minutes ago, Rio 2 said:

At times he has been further forward than a few of the defenders, which is very risky strategy, as we found out against Dundee United and his distribution is not the best (apart from last night) he should stick to keeping the ball out of the net and clearing his lines.

I might even agree with this but him stepping forward and being an extra outfield player(was at right back at one point last night) is obviously part of the Rhys strategy, as he said, high risk high reward!

In general though I think his distribution is excellent, but we're always going to get caught out playing this way and Rhys will only change when it becomes high risk low reward or it destroys Josh's confidence. It did to Alex Henderson.

Not many, if indeed any keepers at our level would be comfortable with this style and its probably best left to the EPL.

56 minutes ago, The red diamond said:

We will take the point and move on.  There are bigger fish in rhe sea than QP. THE RED DIAMOND is feeling the love from my fellow site users and didn't even know that I fucked up lol.

Heavy Fonzie on a motorbike about to launch it over jaws vibes here.

Thought a draw was a fair result. Both teams had chances and spells on top, though neither team really looked like taking the game by the scruff of the neck and winning at any point. Our midfield weren’t in the game at all unfortunately, and Hancock had a difficult evening. Don’t think we ever really took advantage of Queen’s high line other than at the goal, even after bringing O’Connor on. I’d have personally brought McCabe on to do this as he’s probably our best option in terms of being able to play balls over the top or through balls in behind, but that’s a few weeks now since we last saw him on the park. 

In terms of positives, I thought Megwa was very good and the defence as a whole kept Thomas and Paton quiet. McStravick looked a class act once again and superb bit of play from him and finish from Gal for the goal. Also thought Telfer and Todorov made a difference when they came on. Saw a couple of folk say Todorov should have done better with his chance at the end. Maybe he should have but I just thought it was a good save TBH. 

Edited by airdrieman

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Not many, if indeed any keepers at our level would be comfortable with this style and its probably best left to the EPL.

I'm watching Chelsea v Arsenal and I would like to revoke my earlier comment with regards to keepers trying to play like Pirlo.

Sanchez has just played it straight to Rice who scores for Arsenal and Raya got away with a similar faux pas for Arsenal 10 mins earlier. So even the £100K per week keepers feck it up too. 

40 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I'm watching Chelsea v Arsenal and I would like to revoke my earlier comment with regards to keepers trying to play like Pirlo.

Sanchez has just played it straight to Rice who scores for Arsenal and Raya got away with a similar faux pas for Arsenal 10 mins earlier. So even the £100K per week keepers feck it up too. 

Just watched the game back,  was Rae totally to blame, he seemed to pass to McMaster who was slow to react and the rest was just a mess....  watch it back..

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Just watched the game back,  was Rae totally to blame, he seemed to pass to McMaster who was slow to react and the rest was just a mess....  watch it back..

Sorry, but after watching that a few times Rae should really just have launched that. Poor decision making in my opinion, but it is always on the cards playing that way.

18 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Add in Bournemouth too. Actually think a lot of games nowadays even at the top level that I watch have teams playing themselves into trouble. All for the ‘greater good’ of football it seems. Obviously in the Scottish Championship teams do it a whole lot more than the top level but I can’t help but enjoy watching teams play themselves into bother because of it.

Was particularly pleasing hearing and seeing highlights of EKs pumping off Hamilton in that cup the other week. Everyone bangs on about that Mick Kennedy and Si Ferry talks as if he is Pep himself but Kennedys Darvel team came to Gayfield in the Scottish Cup and basically won the game for us with the amount of problems they caused themselves. 

It is not for me, I think keeping the ball is obviously a positive and I’ve seen Airdrie score some cracking goals where they have kept the ball but moments like the other night for me are a different thing entirely when it involves keepers. Would never want to see my keeper or centre halves take any risks in possession of the football it would drive me insane. 

38 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Add in Bournemouth too. Actually think a lot of games nowadays even at the top level that I watch have teams playing themselves into trouble. All for the ‘greater good’ of football it seems. Obviously in the Scottish Championship teams do it a whole lot more than the top level but I can’t help but enjoy watching teams play themselves into bother because of it.

Was particularly pleasing hearing and seeing highlights of EKs pumping off Hamilton in that cup the other week. Everyone bangs on about that Mick Kennedy and Si Ferry talks as if he is Pep himself but Kennedys Darvel team came to Gayfield in the Scottish Cup and basically won the game for us with the amount of problems they caused themselves. 

It is not for me, I think keeping the ball is obviously a positive and I’ve seen Airdrie score some cracking goals where they have kept the ball but moments like the other night for me are a different thing entirely when it involves keepers. Would never want to see my keeper or centre halves take any risks in possession of the football it would drive me insane. 

I get it, the intention is basically to bring another outfield into play but when it goes wrong the result is often catastrophic. 

After his "soldiers of war" pre match speech, I'm of the opinion that Mick Kennedy is an absolute bellend.

This is what these coaches watch before going to bed on a Friday (maybe Thursday) night. We need a statto to figure out how often this happens and how often the opponent scores from a bollox. But this is great to watch…

PS - Gateshead play in tier 5 of the English pyramid

Normal speed here, start at 0:23

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

On 21/10/2023 at 19:56, Passionate said:

Just watched it back, can’t really fault McMaster as the pass was nowhere near him. Rae just miscued the pass on his weaker left foot.