Seoul, South Korea

LuboMoravcik

11 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I've visited a few times and currently living here (for the next 6 months or so anyway).

Have you got plans to visit or stay here longer term?

Just a holiday. Hoping to visit next summer. Just looking for any recommendations of things to do for a first time visitor really.

1 hour ago, LuboMoravcik said:

Just a holiday. Hoping to visit next summer. Just looking for any recommendations of things to do for a first time visitor really.

I'd recommend staying in Jongno or Myeongdong. There's loads of great places to eat and drink around there. The public transport is terrific, so you can easily get to other areas.

The DMZ tour is worth doing and the Korean War Museum is excellent. There are hundreds of museums in Seoul, so if you like art or history or whatever there will be something to interest you. Also a lot of old palaces around with big grounds which are popular. 

The K League season will be on then and also baseball. It's easy enough to get tickets for most games.

Seoul can be unbearably hot and humid in the summer with a fair bit of rain. It's not easy to walk around. Taxis/buses/subway etc are quite cheap though. 

If you're spending your whole holiday in Korea, I'd recommend getting out of Seoul. Spend a few days in Busan on the coast (the KTX high speed train is excellent, make sure and book in advance). Also it's worth getting into some rural areas. Get a little bnb (they call them pensions) in the mountains or somewhere. You'll see a totally different side to the country.

The food is one of the best things about Korea. Some of it is a wee bit weird but there is some unbelievable grub. Bbq places and also fried chicken places are everywhere. Often the wee canteen places selling only 3 or 4 things are the best.

6 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I'd recommend staying in Jongno or Myeongdong. There's loads of great places to eat and drink around there. The public transport is terrific, so you can easily get to other areas.

The DMZ tour is worth doing and the Korean War Museum is excellent. There are hundreds of museums in Seoul, so if you like art or history or whatever there will be something to interest you. Also a lot of old palaces around with big grounds which are popular. 

The K League season will be on then and also baseball. It's easy enough to get tickets for most games.

Seoul can be unbearably hot and humid in the summer with a fair bit of rain. It's not easy to walk around. Taxis/buses/subway etc are quite cheap though. 

If you're spending your whole holiday in Korea, I'd recommend getting out of Seoul. Spend a few days in Busan on the coast (the KTX high speed train is excellent, make sure and book in advance). Also it's worth getting into some rural areas. Get a little bnb (they call them pensions) in the mountains or somewhere. You'll see a totally different side to the country.

The food is one of the best things about Korea. Some of it is a wee bit weird but there is some unbelievable grub. Bbq places and also fried chicken places are everywhere. Often the wee canteen places selling only 3 or 4 things are the best.

Brilliant mate, cheers for that.