Pubs in a Town/City

5 hours ago, the real shallow dave said:

Edinburgh:

Diggers

Blue Blazer

Cask & Barrel Southside

Bow Bar

Artisan Bar

Given that I’d have included the first 4 of those I can only assume that you have similar tastes to me so I really need to check out the Artisan Bar wherever that is

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Given that I’d have included the first 4 of those I can only assume that you have similar tastes to me so I really need to check out the Artisan Bar wherever that is

Ha. It's at abbeyhill, top of easter road, turn left.

Old style pub, always got 3 ales on and always good quality. Football on a few screens and some "interesting" locals. Plus they let you bring in pizza from the Neapolitan place across the road, if you ask nicely 😀

It's not worth a trek across town to go to specifically but if you're in the area it's great for a couple of pints 

8 hours ago, the real shallow dave said:

Leith:

Dreadnought

Brass Monkey Leith Walk

Carriers Quarters

Old Eastway Tap

The Joker & The Thief

Fair effort to pick some of the worst bars in Leith, a better list would be:

The Central

Alhambra

Carriers

Joker and the Thief

The Strathmore/Robbies.

The Bow Bar and Diggers are also two of my least favourites in the city, uppity bars full of strange characters. See also Sandy Bells. Cask and Barrel, Broughton, is probably one of the best in the city. A glaring omission. 

35 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Fair effort to pick some of the worst bars in Leith, a better list would be:

The Central

Alhambra

Carriers

Joker and the Thief

The Strathmore/Robbies.

The Bow Bar and Diggers are also two of my least favourites in the city, uppity bars full of strange characters. See also Sandy Bells. Cask and Barrel, Broughton, is probably one of the best in the city. A glaring omission. 

All about opinions I guess, I was trying to go for a bit of a mix 😂 Strathmore and Robbie's are both great to be fair.

The Bow Bar defo has its fair share of snobs in it from time to time but can't say I've ever noticed the same in diggers. 

Used to really like the Broughton St cask and barrel but prefer the other one now tbh.

On 22/10/2023 at 12:54, the real shallow dave said:

Edinburgh:

Diggers

Blue Blazer

Cask & Barrel Southside

Bow Bar

Artisan Bar

Used to jump into Blue Blazer a lot when I worked on Morrison St, also liked Thomson's on Morrison St, always seem to be the same two good lads (mind the older one giving us a whisky on the house for some reason) working the bar, even this year when I popped in, same guys. Both good pubs. 

No one will agree, but Glasgow (City centre-ish)

1. Laurieston 

2. The Horseshoe

3. The Doublet

4. Scotia

5. Rhoderick Dhu 

Honourable mentions for the Woodside Inn, Bon Accord, Sparkle Horse and Old Toll Bar

If you say the Park Bar, Ben Nevis, Islay Inn (could maybe accept the Grove), some random Irish bar you think is amazing or something like Howlin' Wolf, Butterfly n' the pig or the Pot Still, you're actually wrong. 

Glasgow has loads of great pubs, but only one of them is close to the city centre: The Laurieston. The Doublet is nowhere near the city centre. 😅

Laurieston

Allison Arms

Heraghty's

Old Toll

Three Judges

On 29/10/2023 at 09:06, Darren said:

Glasgow has loads of great pubs, but only one of them is close to the city centre: The Laurieston. The Doublet is nowhere near the city centre. 😅

Laurieston

Allison Arms

Heraghty's

Old Toll

Three Judges

The Doublet and Laurieston being in the list is why I said city centre-ish instead of city centre 😉

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...