Rangers v Hearts

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

I suppose they must just be such good clean players.

I assume this fair play continues into matches refereed by foreign officials in UEFA competitions?

On a serious level, how the f**k does any team concede no penalties in the VAR era? As we've seen yesterday, they're being given out like sweeties for short tugs, handballs etc.

4 pens last seasons Euro comps.

Its pretty clear that Rangers DO concede penalties at a normal rate when referees are not Scottish.

Just now, AJF said:

Do you object to Leith Green using the same term? Or just me cos I’m a Rangers fan.

Do you appreciate that anomaly perfectly explains what these complaints are about, regardless of the underlying reason?

His point - clearly - was not the use of the word, rather that I said it cant be an anomaly, whereas you appear to suggest that it is.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Do you object to Leith Green using the same term? Or just me cos I’m a Rangers fan.

Do you appreciate that anomaly perfectly explains what these complaints are about, regardless of the underlying reason?

I believe our footballingly-misguided friend is using this term euphemistically. I don't think you are.

Just now, Leith Green said:

His point - clearly - was not the use of the word, rather that I said it cant be an anomaly, whereas you appear to suggest that it is.

No, you said it can’t just be an anomaly. Which suggests you believe it is an anomaly, as well as something else.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

I believe our footballingly-misguided friend is using this term euphemistically. I don't think you are.

Christ, look at the very definition of the word anomaly.

“something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected.”

I am literally agreeing that the home penalty concession stat is an outlier that should not be expected.

Just now, AJF said:

Christ, look at the very definition of the word anomaly.

“something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected.”

I am literally agreeing that the home penalty concession stat is an outlier that should not be expected.

I'm aware of the meaning of the word.

I still don't think we're applying it in the same way.

Seemed to be more than usual left in The Big Hoose when the goals went in: usually they start leaving on 75 minutes, earlier if they're getting beat. We're they staying behind to boo the team off and call for Plastic Bertrand to be sacked?

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

I'm aware of the meaning of the word.

I still don't think we're applying it in the same way.

We are applying it in the same way. We both agree that the stat is not something that you should expect to see.

The underlying reasons behind it is likely where our view deviates. But branding it an anomaly is absolutely something we are applying equally.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

On one level it's just funny.

Imagine the brass neck required to look at this and not conclude 'masons'.

When Hearts lose I will piss myself laughing - as will you with us.

However, there is a wider issue at play, and - believe me, pisstaking aside - Hibs fans are also talking about this.

We all know that the best teams get the most pens, thats a given - they spend more time in the opposition box.

But Celtic are also an attacking team and spend more time in opposition territory, so its utterly laughable that Celtic have conceded so many more than Rangers in the last few years.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

We are applying it in the same way. We both agree that the stat is not something that you should expect to see.

The underlying reasons behind it is likely where our view deviates. But branding it an anomaly is absolutely something we are applying equally.

When you step back and look at those stats, and you look at things like yesterday, do you never feel a wee pang of dissatisfaction knowing that your club can basically rely on the officials to dig them out a hole in a way other clubs can't? Does it bother you in the slightest?

I mean, it's true that it's a shirt tug. Technically a foul. Given elsewhere? Maybe. Maybe not. Given at the other end? Stats say no. Would Hearts have got the free-kick for the shove on Vargas at another away venue? Almost certainly. It's clear statistically and on the basis of individual incidents that Rangers are treated differently to other clubs.

Does it never bother you?

I've been at games where Hearts have caught a break from officials. It happens for all of us sometimes. But I can't imagine being delighted watching Hearts for decades knowing we were getting a helping hand.

Do you never have your "are we the baddies?" moment?

Edited by VincentGuerin

18 minutes ago, AJF said:

There is grappling at most corners, but I can’t think off the top of my head many incidents involving Goldson where there was as blatant a shirt pull as the Haring incident yesterday. I’m not saying there hasn’t been, just I can’t recall it.

Watch any corner Rangers are defending and you'll see Goldson with his arms blatantly wrapped round an opponent obstructing them, he does it every time as he knows he'll never be penalised for it.

10 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

When you step back and look at those stats, and you look at things like yesterday, do you never feel a wee pang of dissatisfaction knowing that your club can basically rely on the officials to dig them out a hole in a way other clubs can't? Does it bother you in the slightest?

I mean, it's true that it's a shirt tug. Technically a foul. Given elsewhere? Maybe. Maybe not. Given at the other end? Stats say no. Would Hearts have got the free-kick for the shove on Vargas at another away venue? Almost certainly. It's clear statistically and on the basis of individual incidents that Rangers are treated differently to other clubs.

Does it never bother you?

I've been at games where Hearts have caught a break from officials. It happens for all of us sometimes. But I can't imagine being delighted watching Hearts for decades knowing we were getting a helping hand.

Do you never have your "are we the baddies?" moment?

In terms of yesterday’s game, am I bothered that Haring committed a blatant foul and a penalty was correctly awarded?

absolutely fucking not no way GIF

In wider terms, I’d say yes, I’d rather we were not perceived to be receiving any helping hand. But again, I’ve mentioned before that I don’t believe our underlying reasons for this “anomaly” will agree.

The reality here is I’ve not seen anyone successfully argue that either of yesterday’s penalties were not penalties. And correct refereeing decisions have led to this.

Edited by AJF

1 minute ago, KirkieRR said:

Seemed to be more than usual left in The Big Hoose when the goals went in: usually they start leaving on 75 minutes, earlier if they're getting beat. We're they staying behind to boo the team off and call for Plastic Bertrand to be sacked?

I remember a few years back Stevie Thompson scored late in injury time to salvage a 1-1 draw against them at Ibrox, and you were lucky if there was more than 5000 fans left in the stadium. I’ve left a game of football early on a handful of occasions, usually when my team is getting beat by 4 or 5 goals. I don’t understand the logic of leaving early when your team is winning and there’s only 1 goal in it, but Rangers fans seem to value an empty subway carriage more than cheering their team to a victory or waiting to show appreciation after a win. I’ve got a good friend who has had a season ticket in the top tier of the main stand at Ibrox since he was a child, and anytime I speak to him on a Saturday he says he left at half time to go and sit in a pub on Paisley Road West which streams the game on a dodgy firestick. Reading that back it’s possible he’s just an alcoholic that can’t go 45 minutes without a pint. 

17 minutes ago, AJF said:

In terms of yesterday’s game, am I bothered that Haring committed a blatant foul and a penalty was correctly awarded?

The reality here is I’ve not seen anyone successfully argue that either of yesterday’s penalties were not penalties. And correct refereeing decisions have led to this.

And this is the comfort blanket. "Technically correct".

The decision for the foul on Vargas that led to the corner absolutely was not "technically correct". So, I'm afraid your assertion that correct refereeing decisions led to this is clearly untrue.

I get that you need to do some mental gymnastics on this issue. It's understandable.

You're used to, though, as is long established.

PnBers.  Why don't Rangers get a lot of penalties against them?

Gers fans. Can you provide examples of penalty incidents that we've gotten away with?

PnBers.   Errrm well hmmmm, well....  There should be penalties against Sevco!!

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

PnBers.  Why don't Rangers get a lot of penalties against them?

Gers fans. Can you provide examples of penalty incidents that we've gotten away with?

PnBers.   Errrm well hmmmm, well....  There should be penalties against Sevco!!

40 minutes ago, Squonk said:

I guess Goldson's unpunished bear hug on Duk in the penalty area a few weeks ago was just another of those pesky anomalies.

Literally about 10 posts ago.

13 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I remember a few years back Stevie Thompson scored late in injury time to salvage a 1-1 draw against them at Ibrox, and you were lucky if there was more than 5000 fans left in the stadium. I’ve left a game of football early on a handful of occasions, usually when my team is getting beat by 4 or 5 goals. I don’t understand the logic of leaving early when your team is winning and there’s only 1 goal in it, but Rangers fans seem to value an empty subway carriage more than cheering their team to a victory or waiting to show appreciation after a win. I’ve got a good friend who has had a season ticket in the top tier of the main stand at Ibrox since he was a child, and anytime I speak to him on a Saturday he says he left at half time to go and sit in a pub on Paisley Road West which streams the game on a dodgy firestick. Reading that back it’s possible he’s just an alcoholic that can’t go 45 minutes without a pint. 

This is the goal from that game that really should have won an award for team goal of the season. 

I think you are being a bit unfair. 

There were easily more than 5000 in the ground at the end of the game. 

That was 12 years ago. Fat Sally was Rangers manager at the time.

IMG_4633.thumb.jpeg.96d2fd46139c8c0257d06b397f75ed4c.jpeg