St Johnstone's Next Permanent Manager 23/24

Who will be St Johnstone's next permanent manager?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

54 minutes ago, Zeto-83 said:

Martindale might jump at St Johnstone job as that way he'd have job security - I believe he's working without a contract. So he would have a guaranteed wage, as Livingston could appoint someone tomorrow and hed get no pay off, plus no compensation would be payable due to no contract in place.

A Ross County fan signing up to the forum to tell us about David Martindale's contract situation 🤔

13 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

I heard its not looking good but that opinion didn't come from John Ward or Martindale himself, therefore pretty useless. 

That quote was from Martindale yesterday, he himself saying he'll only go if our board tell him to. Doesn't sound like a guy that's on the verge of a move

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Another blow this morning as Kenny Miller pulls out the race, saying its "not the right job for him at the moment".

I reckon the bold Kenny is correct on that score.

Not sure that the Martindale comments mean much tbh, all he's really doing is saying it's someone else's decision, but do get the feeling it could well be something leftfield.

9 hours ago, RawB93 said:

A Ross County fan signing up to the forum to tell us about David Martindale's contract situation 🤔

Would certainly be happy at Martindale at County, but obviously no chance of that happening. Doubt he would move to St. Johnstone either.

Martindales comments aren't any different than what he's ever said before. If St Johnstone come in with an offer that Livi think is worth it then that's where the "chapping his door" comes into it. 

Still a case of wait and see but it's pretty wild how many folk got overexcited at a video of him... erm, not saying he was interested

Martindale was surely never really going to happen anyway. 

I see Kenny Miller has touted Neil McCann for the job and 'could see' Scott Brown happening. I just can't see many managers risking taking this job on at the moment. I suppose every manager has an ego that will believe they can do the job better than the other and even if they do go down I believe they would have everything in place to come back up..

33 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Martindale was surely never really going to happen anyway. 

I see Kenny Miller has touted Neil McCann for the job and 'could see' Scott Brown happening. I just can't see many managers risking taking this job on at the moment. I suppose every manager has an ego that will believe they can do the job better than the other and even if they do go down I believe they would have everything in place to come back up..

Big surprise, OF old boys touching OF old boys for diddy jobs! 

I'd imagine Saints is a pretty attractive job for a lot of out of work managers. While we might be bottom, there is enough in that squad to do much better than they have done to date. Plus, a fair pot of cash available come January should we not be cut adrift by then.

Other factor is that even if it doesn't work out for them, it would be recognised as a real challenge so not a massive reputation killer. Not to mention that given the finances it's not as if any manager taking the job would get shafted if it all goes horribly wrong as unlike other clubs, if it does goes wrong, we don't have a history of admin or the like and shafting employees. 

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Big surprise, OF old boys touching OF old boys for diddy jobs! 

I'd imagine Saints is a pretty attractive job for a lot of out of work managers. While we might be bottom, there is enough in that squad to do much better than they have done to date. Plus, a fair pot of cash available come January should we not be cut adrift by then.

Other factor is that even if it doesn't work out for them, it would be recognised as a real challenge so not a massive reputation killer. Not to mention that given the finances it's not as if any manager taking the job would get shafted if it all goes horribly wrong as unlike other clubs, if it does goes wrong, we don't have a history of admin or the like and shafting employees. 

I don't watch enough of St Johnstone to even claim to know if they can do better than they currently are or not. The only positive I can see is that St Johnstone have acted quickly to get rid of Maclean. 

Who do you think he was talking about when he said there was some that would never play for him again? Obvious answer...all of them as he's been sacked.

47 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Please show your working.

Anyone who has watched saints this season will have seen that for periods of every game we have played pretty well. You don't go to Celtic and Aberdeen and pick up a draw if you have nothing about you. In the Livi game we were on top and comfortable until the penalty and then fell away. Dundee, we got right back into the game despite being well outplayed for 75 mins. St Mirren aside, nobody has thrashed us. I'm not convinced the issue is either ability (non scoring strikers doesn't help), but more about mentality. When we go behind in games, the team crumble. An experienced manager can easily fix that.

47 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I don't watch enough of St Johnstone to even claim to know if they can do better than they currently are or not. The only positive I can see is that St Johnstone have acted quickly to get rid of Maclean. 

Who do you think he was talking about when he said there was some that would never play for him again? Obvious answer...all of them as he's been sacked.

I think MacLeans comments after the St Mirren game are a symptom of the mess that the structure is in. He already had 3 'frozen out' players and wanted to add more. For me, it was aimed at Scott Brown, but could have been any of them. Doesn't matter what your workplace is, if your boss has given colleagues (and senior ones at that) the cold shoulder and is generally aggressive, you are unlikely to be able to perform at your best, especially when he rants thst others will get the same treatment. That is just what he said publically, what was he saying behind closed doors?

I'm not saying having an aggressive shouty manager is a bad thing, but having an aggressive shouty assistant too isn't great. Said it from the off, MacLean needed an experienced head as an assistant not another young coach. Paul Sturrock is the obvious example of this at Saints with John Blackley, but you can see it too with Lomas/Wright, McInnes/Doc (Docherty had few years coaching experience) even Docherty at Dundee has an experienced assistant in Taylor. 

37 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Anyone who has watched saints this season will have seen that for periods of every game we have played pretty well. You don't go to Celtic and Aberdeen and pick up a draw if you have nothing about you. In the Livi game we were on top and comfortable until the penalty and then fell away. Dundee, we got right back into the game despite being well outplayed for 75 mins. . 

Have you ever been to a game of football and watch a team not play well for about 10 minutes?

I can't recall a single game I've been to and seen Dundee be outplayed for a whole game. 

Trying to use a decent spell (10 minutes) against a Dundee team - who should have went 3-1 up in that spell after missing a 1v1 - as St Johnstone having players more than capable of staying up after looking at how far adrift you are so quick into the season is pretty fucking mental. Fair play to you.

Edited by Derry Alli

37 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I'm not saying having an aggressive shouty manager is a bad thing, but having an aggressive shouty assistant too isn't great. 

Personally, I am not in favour of the 'shouty' model of management, but I can see that for some managers and their teams it works. However, where it works, the manager generally has his shout and then there is an expectation that everyone is back on it in training and that's the end of it - move on and forget about what was said in the heat of the moment. I get the impression that Macca did the shouty bit but then players were isolated or excluded - that isn't how you get the best out of individuals and it isn't how you create team cohesion.