Mighty QP v The streets of Raith

On 12/11/2023 at 10:38, Wardy said:

Yeah was annoyed at this at the time, yeah Murray goes in rash but didn’t think anything other than a yellow at the time. I’ll admit watching it back it probably did merit a red. But like you say, sometimes the Linesman won’t even get involved in a foul that’s right in front of them…It must be down to the referee who’ll either say, challenge me if you see something, or stick to offsides/throw ins. 

My son was the ball boy right behind the lino when the ref came over. He claims to have heard the whole conversation.

Ref was going to give a yellow but lino told him on the radio it should be red, so ref came over to discuss. From the refs angle it was yellow, but lino said it was dangerous and should be straight red.

19 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Have to say that’s excellent, despite the painful content. We have folk around the club who have the skills to do similar, but we don’t invest properly in their talents. 

I look at Raith Rovers with some envy. Not long ago the club was basically involved in a civil war and now everyone is pulling in the same direction. The really, really frustrating thing is that everything that’s being done there could very easily be being done at Queen’s Park. Feels very centred on the average punter, whereas…..

22 minutes ago, an86 said:

I look at Raith Rovers with some envy. Not long ago the club was basically involved in a civil war and now everyone is pulling in the same direction. The really, really frustrating thing is that everything that’s being done there could very easily be being done at Queen’s Park. Feels very centred on the average punter, whereas…..

Average punter you say? Here's how we cater for them -

TheRoyalBoxJune242023.jpg.49e832e162886aab185ac5c241c96315.jpg

Amidst all the post match rage and fury (justified) I forgot to congratulate Raith on their performance, in the end they absolutely deserved the result.

Way back in January 1967 my dad took me to Hampden to see QP v Raith in the Scottish Cup. Queen's took a 2-0 lead, Raith fought back to 2-2 then Queens' got a late winner. That's the game at which I decided I was a Queen's fan, nigh on 57 years ago and in all that time last Saturday was the worst I've felt at the end of a QP game. Fingers crossed that Raith can knock Dundee Utd off the top and go on to win this division. Oh aye and fingers crossed that we can avoid relegation.

2 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

My son was the ball boy right behind the lino when the ref came over. He claims to have heard the whole conversation.

Ref was going to give a yellow but lino told him on the radio it should be red, so ref came over to discuss. From the refs angle it was yellow, but lino said it was dangerous and should be straight red.

If so, full credit to the lino for being correct and being willing to say such. Extra credit for the ref being willing to take the time to listen and not having too big a heid to listen.

I looked at the challenge again, this time to see exactly where the ref was. He was almost completely blocked by the body of the player being tackled from seeing Murray’s lunge, while the Lino had a near perfect view. For as much as we complain about game officials, that was spot on.

15 minutes ago, TxRover said:

If so, full credit to the lino for being correct and being willing to say such. Extra credit for the ref being willing to take the time to listen and not having too big a heid to listen.

I looked at the challenge again, this time to see exactly where the ref was. He was almost completely blocked by the body of the player being tackled from seeing Murray’s lunge, while the Lino had a near perfect view. For as much as we complain about game officials, that was spot on.

As an ex ref myself, I fully agree with you. We were always told we were the third team on the pitch and if the ref chooses to ignore his assistants as many do, they are just making their job harder and reducing the quality of decision making. The added advantage for the ref in this case is that if the decision is wrong he can always blame his assistant……..

1 hour ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

As an ex ref myself, I fully agree with you. We were always told we were the third team on the pitch and if the ref chooses to ignore his assistants as many do, they are just making their job harder and reducing the quality of decision making. The added advantage for the ref in this case is that if the decision is wrong he can always blame his assistant……..

Very rare experience we witnessed. Firstly for a lino to make a decision, especially a high-profile one. Then for the ref to actually take his advice and change his own decision. It would be great if this was the norm. I wonder if this particular third team are looking for a promotion and be part of the VAR elite? Based on your experience, it sounds like the SFA don’t offer much encouragement to be a three-man team?

58 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Very rare experience we witnessed. Firstly for a lino to make a decision, especially a high-profile one. Then for the ref to actually take his advice and change his own decision. It would be great if this was the norm. I wonder if this particular third team are looking for a promotion and be part of the VAR elite? Based on your experience, it sounds like the SFA don’t offer much encouragement to be a three-man team?

Don’t know about nowadays, but I would be surprised if they aren’t encouraged to act as a team but I suspect it’s down to egos. Wee men with big whistles etc.
As Wardy posted earlier, it’s down to the ref to give pre match instructions to the assistants, either help me out if I miss something or simply stick to offsides and throw ins, I’m in charge. Rarely, unless there’s something obvious and serious like an off the ball incident, are they asked to put their flag up. This was the case when I was actively involved, don’t know if anything’s changed over the past 20 years.

4 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

Am I recalling it correctly that Charlie Fox was sent off at Starks last season on the advice of the Linesman?

Yes. With that said, it's probably not the best move to go about blatantly stamping on opponents in front of the linesman...

https://youtu.be/-XGRjiYtkbA?si=8hpIAYgnKshW6Nju

From the stand I genuinely didn't think Murray's challenge was a foul, let alone a red card.  On watching the highlights, I probably would've been correct about 20 years ago.  10 years ago it would've been a yellow.  With much more emphasis now (correctly so IMHO) on protecting players, a red was definitely the correct call so credit to the officials for getting it right.

Not so sure they got the penalty decision right but I'll certainly take it.

Overall, I thought a draw would've probably been a fair result but this Rovers team really doesn't know how to quit.  Queen's Park are a decent team and I really don't think they'll have to worry about relegation if they stick with what they're doing.  The team are young and a wee bit naive and really need guys like Thomas and Longridge to help the younger guys out.  If they can bring in an experienced CB to help them out at the back they should be fine.