Dumbarton v Elgin City 18/11/23

1 hour ago, Sons Fan said:

I do think we got the tactics wrong, Elgin looked at their weakest when we played to ball on the deck and ran at them but we constantly tried the long looping ball, very frustrating.

A win is a win so can’t complain too much.

If he gets the tactics wrong with the same result every week then I think we will all be pretty happy

I agree thought lynas was super today  and Ryan Blair was doing a job filling in at full back.

felt in first half we played a bit slow allowing Elgin to organise and after ht we sent for long diagonal balls

didnt quite get that tactic

overall we did deserve it 

I don't think there's much doubt that we deserved three points there. And whilst it became laboured and a bit ugly as the game wore on, there was a decent amount to be pleased with. Especially without a key player in Matty Shiels.

To hit the woodwork four times but still win a game is probably a good sign. And I think if Ryan Wallace's early howitzer that was awkwardly deflected onto the bar had gone in then we'd have been onto another Bonnyrigg type game.

But Elgin, to their credit, kept their shape, defended their box well and really frustrated us. I thought we could play round them, but we couldn't just play over them - big Jake Dolzanski has always caught my eye, and his head was a ball magnet for the whole game.

Elgin really stopped Michael Ruth getting in the game at all, whilst our success down the wings was pretty limited. They doubled up down the right which left space for Finlay Gray, and it was no coincidence he probably turned in one of his best showings of the season. It's just a shame he couldn't cap it with a goal at the end after rounding Tom McHale - only to smack the post.

Performance wise, I really wasn't sure how Ryan Blair would do at LB. But fair play to him, I thought he had a very good game. He was blowing out his arse after about 70 minutes and doesn't have Shiels' ability to get up and down the line. But his crossing was decent, he defended calmly and played a part in another clean sheet. It was a good showing from someone playing so wildly out of position.

Blair Malcolm had another good game breaking play up, charging around the park and getting himself in the right place at the right time. Just as he did for Albion Rovers so often against us last year. His use of the ball isn't always the best, but so far I'd probably have him down as our Player of the Year. I don't think we'd be the same side without him, and he's the sort of midfield enforcer we've lacked for quite a while.

Our best player today, by a considerable distance, was Aron Lynas though. He's had to wait for his chance. But I think he might just be our best centre-half. He covers Crighton's lack of pace, he has looked fairly sharp on the ball in recent weeks and he was absolutely phenomenal in the air. It was like watching a lineout in rugby every time Elgin went long. The wee guy was just launching himself flying into the air and winning every single header. 

He's a great guy and a warrior who leaves it all on the park and I'm really pleased to see him finding a spot in this side and excelling.

My only worry about that whole showing was how sloppy we were in the box. Our crossing was hit and miss, but even when it was good nobody looked particularly sharp. The hideous conditions no doubt played a part, and everyone can have an off day, but a bit more clinical finishing would've been very welcome.

Elgin looked quite like Bonnyrigg of last year. Well set up, plenty of effort and desire. But a lack of quality and a lack of mobility in a few key positions.

They had a big squad and made a host of changes. But nobody made much of an impression, positively or negatively, in an offensive sense. I don't think they'll end up cut adrift. They didn't look anywhere near as soft as Clyde, for example, but they do look a pretty limited side. If they get the first goal I think they'll get results. If they fall behind, I'm not convinced they can attack a game without leaving gaping holes at the back. Which we noticed when they really went for it in the last 10 minutes.

Big Robert Jones had their only chance of note. And was denied by an outstanding Brett Long save just a minute before we scored. But those are the sort of chances you feel your striker has to take. And I'm just not sure he's that man to take them.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Lynas was standout with Blair Malcolm a close second.Tremendous shift from both and Blairs work was immense in mopping up dangerous situations.Longs save was pure class as he had nothing else to do all game.Great concentration.

We missed Shiels today no doubt and the bench is getting thin on the ground.Really need Durnan Shiels and Byrne back to add depth.On another day we would have got beat 1 nil for sure .We need to take our chances when they come .At peterhead it will be a massive game where we will need a great performance to get anything at all.

Well, it’s good to get another win despite an average performance. It was a match I always felt ‘safe’ in - a strange feeling a Dumbarton fan but even at 0-0 it just felt like a matter of time until we final put a combination together and scored. In the end we actually didn’t, but luckily for us got another penalty which looked like it was going to be saved before it squeezed under the keeper.

I have to agree with plaudits for Lynas, he was outstanding. So aggressive going in for headers and won a ridiculously good percentage. I felt it rubbed off on Crichton too because by the end they were aggressively clattering everything away AND playing a very high line despite the slender advantage. Real dilemma if Durnan returns soon because I believe he’s the best CB in the league. In fact, as good as Lynas was I think I would still drop him for Durnan. Mainly based upon Durnan’s superior composure on the balls. Not the worst trait, but Lynas did unnecessary boot the ball away a few times.

There was a 15 minute spell after half time where I felt we rushed too much. You could see the game becoming slightly transition based as we tried to force the issue, resulting in more turnovers in possession. A situation not helped by all the shouts in the crowd to pick the pace up - not something we needed to do.

Michael Ruth probably had the quietest game I’ve seen him have all season. Elgin’s off the ball shape was pretty solid it’s just their on the ball component which appears insufficient for this level.

Ryan Blair did a reasonable job filling in a left back. Could definitely see we were missing Shields though, especially as the game went on.

The more I see Blair Malcom, I think he’s a great league 2 player who would be badly exposed if he finds himself playing at a higher level. Great physical presence but I feel you can see he’d be far less comfortable receiving the ball if playing if faster-pace games where time on the ball is limited. 

Finally, would just like to say it’s another frustrating two week gap from league action now. It’s slightly annoying how frequently these gaps come around in the autumn. Would rather skip the Annan game and be playing Peterhead next week but oh well.

1 hour ago, cameron2000 said:

Well, it’s good to get another win despite an average performance. It was a match I always felt ‘safe’ in - a strange feeling a Dumbarton fan but even at 0-0 it just felt like a matter of time until we final put a combination together and scored. In the end we actually didn’t, but luckily for us got another penalty which looked like it was going to be saved before it squeezed under the keeper.

I have to agree with plaudits for Lynas, he was outstanding. So aggressive going in for headers and won a ridiculously good percentage. I felt it rubbed off on Crichton too because by the end they were aggressively clattering everything away AND playing a very high line despite the slender advantage. Real dilemma if Durnan returns soon because I believe he’s the best CB in the league. In fact, as good as Lynas was I think I would still drop him for Durnan. Mainly based upon Durnan’s superior composure on the balls. Not the worst trait, but Lynas did unnecessary boot the ball away a few times.

There was a 15 minute spell after half time where I felt we rushed too much. You could see the game becoming slightly transition based as we tried to force the issue, resulting in more turnovers in possession. A situation not helped by all the shouts in the crowd to pick the pace up - not something we needed to do.

Michael Ruth probably had the quietest game I’ve seen him have all season. Elgin’s off the ball shape was pretty solid it’s just their on the ball component which appears insufficient for this level.

Ryan Blair did a reasonable job filling in a left back. Could definitely see we were missing Shields though, especially as the game went on.

The more I see Blair Malcom, I think he’s a great league 2 player who would be badly exposed if he finds himself playing at a higher level. Great physical presence but I feel you can see he’d be far less comfortable receiving the ball if playing if faster-pace games where time on the ball is limited. 

Finally, would just like to say it’s another frustrating two week gap from league action now. It’s slightly annoying how frequently these gaps come around in the autumn. Would rather skip the Annan game and be playing Peterhead next week but oh well.

I'm not sure I agree with your comments on a Mark Durnan/Aron Lynas selection situation.  Firstly, it's been pleasing to see how well Aron has performed, and I think his presence has also benefitted Sean Crighton.  I also feel that Durnan and Crighton are very similar in style and worryingly, pace, as was particularly highlighted in the away fixture at Spartans.  It's the Manager's call of course but the dominant factor should be the football aspect as opposed to captaincy.  And if it's not broken yet then don't fix it.

As regards Blair Malcolm, he's been one of our most visible and influential players so far, and how he would play in a higher division is pure speculation - for a start we need to get there.

Sorry troops but yer aff yer heid if you think Lynas is displacing Mark Durnan in our team. It's good he's performing well in that position but he's not a centre half and is far and away the worst defender we have technically. When Durnan is fit he starts, no doubts about it.