The Strange Case of Tom Cairney

ArabFC

On 28/11/2023 at 07:47, BB_Bino said:

I might be totally making this up but I’m sure I read/heard somewhere that he told Gordon Strachen that he didn’t want to be selected after withdrawing from a few squads, seemed to be a similar relationship to what Steven Fletcher had with Craig Levein. He was called up under Alex McLeish but asked him to forget it when they returned to their clubs.

My view of Steve Clarke is that he like players who he can trust and want to be part of a group and 100% committed. Clearly Cairney is a leader as he is Fulham captain so I don’t think there would be an attitude issue but I think if Clarke had any doubts he just wouldn’t take the risk.

Also, and I’ve not caught up with the thread, but I did see an article the other day saying Cairney was looking for a call up. In my opinion it’s quite easy to say that now that we are doing well and heading for a tournament. It’s sort of like the guy in work who would never do any overtime normally but if they offer triple time would bite your hand off for it (that’s probably a dreadful analogy).

On 30/11/2023 at 17:21, velo army said:

McLeod didn't realise McGovern was Scottish, which is wild, but why he was overlooked.

I have heard something similar, albeit I heard it was Stein.

Regardless, I am not sure there was much truth to it. I knew he was Scottish when I was growing up in the 70s/80s just from MOTD, press, reports etc.

You would imagine the Scotland manager would too. particularly as 4 or 5 of his team mates were also regulars in the national team too. 

IMG_2551.jpeg

Edited by qos_75

I wonder if Tom Cairney's granda is the now infamous Frank Cairney.

Done a little deep dive on him there and apparently his scottish side is from Uddingston which is around where Frank is based. And they do have a passing resemblance with the bushy eyebrows.

It would maybe go some way to explain him patching scotland as it coincided with FC's convictions etc.

This is just a complete stab in the dark*

Pretty sure I remember him on Sky sports news as a pundit during Euros in 2021. It was before England v Scotland game and he did refer to England in a manner that he seems to identify with them more. Maybe at that point he had though he was unlikely to play for Scotland again. Can't really see huge need to bring him in. Midfield we have plenty options and younger players that will have more long term future. Likes of Kenny McLean seems to be a good presence in the squad and knows his role as squad player. 

1 minute ago, grazza said:

Pretty sure I remember him on Sky sports news as a pundit during Euros in 2021. It was before England v Scotland game and he did refer to England in a manner that he seems to identify with them more. Maybe at that point he had though he was unlikely to play for Scotland again. Can't really see huge need to bring him in. Midfield we have plenty options and younger players that will have more long term future. Likes of Kenny McLean seems to be a good presence in the squad and knows his role as a FUCKING SHAGGER

FTFY HTH