Peterhead vs Dumbarton

Outcome?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/12/23 at 15:00

Defensively we were ok, compact and organised for almost the entire match but going forward we created only one half chance that I can recall besides the goal itself. Not great at all.

We spent almost the entire second half in our own half and our immobile midfield had been completely overrun long before the end.

To my mind we lack a bit of leadership on the park - the loss of Durnan is felt across the team and had he been playing we might have scampered back down the road tonight with an undeserved 3 points. 

Peterhead though - I see their recent woes as a blip rather than long term decline. A decent side, technically fine, but most importantly lots of energy and forward thrust.

12 hours ago, CatAlan said:

Stenny running scared and wanting to keep watch on our result tonight I see.  Obviously nerves kicking in that we’ll do to them what Stirling did to us last season.

#uncleFaz

This aged well.🤣

Ah well, I’ll just need to own it.  But a huge ask now to recover such a lead. It’s Stenny’s to lose now, less about the football and more about their mindset and if they can handle the pressure.

15 minutes ago, CatAlan said:

This aged well.🤣

Ah well, I’ll just need to own it.  But a huge ask now to recover such a lead. It’s Stenny’s to lose now, less about the football and more about their mindset and if they can handle the pressure.

We’re as far from Stenny as we are from Clyde. The title is long gone. We’ll be lucky to hold onto a playoff spot.

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Somebody give me a shout when this season's over.

Tbh OKI, you’d be better changing that to “when Farrell’s gone”. Can’t see next season being any different.

19 minutes ago, CatAlan said:

This aged well.🤣

We will be a speck in Stenny's rear view mirror come May.  My fear is not that we make or don't make the top four, it's the fragile financial state of the club and the potential implications of that going forward.

9 hours ago, George Parr said:

Defensively we were ok, compact and organised for almost the entire match but going forward we created only one half chance that I can recall besides the goal itself. Not great at all.

We spent almost the entire second half in our own half and our immobile midfield had been completely overrun long before the end.

To my mind we lack a bit of leadership on the park - the loss of Durnan is felt across the team and had he been playing we might have scampered back down the road tonight with an undeserved 3 points. 

Peterhead though - I see their recent woes as a blip rather than long term decline. A decent side, technically fine, but most importantly lots of energy and forward thrust.

How did Hogarth and Newbury play George, and how bad is Newbury's injury ?

3-1 was maybe a bit harsh in the end. But I thought we got what we deserved last night, and if Peterhead had been 2-1 to the good after 70 minutes it would've been a fair reflection of the play. 

We were absolutely horrendous in the middle of the park. I can't ever remember seeing a Sons side pick up so few second balls. Until the first goal we defended our box fairly well, but it was just wave after wave of Peterhead attack. Albeit without giving Jay Hogarth very much of note to do.

I think the tactic was to camp in and then hit on the break, as Peterhead committed bodies forward. But our passing was so woeful that we only managed to do it a couple of times, and Stuart McKenzie (goal aside) had next to nothing to do.

Every single break felt like it broke down after two or three passes. And we're talking 10/12 yard passes right to the opposition. I'm not sure if it's confidence, fatigue or what. But it was so, so poor.

In terms of the new guys, I thought both performed fairly well. But wee Cian Newbury especially.

He's very slight, quite wee and looks like a child. But he was our best performer. It can't get a whole lot tougher than being chucked in against Rory McAllister who knows every trick in the book and will bounce on every mistake. But he hadn't given him much of a sniff.

In the first-half especially I was stood in line with our back four, and McAllister was getting really frustrated at the way Newbury just seemed to appear to win the ball back, or just do enough to put him off a header. He reminds me a bit on that showing of Chris Hamilton (now of Dunfermline). He's very young, maybe a bit rash and might get caught out. But I'd wager there's a very good player in there based on what I saw from him last night.

It looked like cramp or something that forced him off. So hopefully nothing too bad, but once he went then we crumbled. And McAllister ran the show (well, Andy McCarthy and Joe McKee ran the show, but McAllister did that striker thing of stealing the limelight!).

We looked like a ticking timebomb. The defending for the first goal will have to be seen back to be believed, with us losing possession to the best lower league striker of his generation on the edge of the box. Only going to be one outcome there...

We were already hanging on, but after that I was praying for the whistle. More attacks, more balls into the box and eventually it paid off when Kalvin (I think) was done for a push in the box.

The third goal was a bit inconsequential as we'd just chucked everyone forward and (shock) lost possession cheaply.

I liked what I saw from Jay Hogarth, albeit he wasn't all that busy. He's a very striking big guy, the sort you'd describe as a strapping young man. He's got a bit of confidence about him and he was very vocal, which is all pretty reassuring.

His kicking was a bit odd. He can absolutely batter a ball, his technique looked good, but his kicks were a 50/50 split between absolutely on the money, and flying into the stand. Hopefully he can tidy that up a wee bit. No complaints apart from that though and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

I liked what I saw of Peterhead too. From front to back. They dominated the midfield battle, they didn't give us too many sniffs at the back and that's twice that Rory has provided match winning moments in the final 10 minutes against us. The big man might spend a lot of time hobbling about like a man with a wooden leg, or looking disgusted at passes that he has to chase. But no wonder. Give him service and he makes finding the net or setting up chances look so easy.

I think you guys are a bit unlucky that Stenny have been so good this season, because you'd have given Stirling Albion a good run last year imo. A really decent outfit, and one that I'd imagine will only get a bit stronger this month too.

13 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

How did Hogarth and Newbury play George, and how bad is Newbury's injury ?

I saw fairly promising signs from both of them.

Newbury is very raw but stuck manfully to the task of keeping a decent strike force quiet and it was only after he went off that we collapsed. He'll need some experience alongside him.

On Hogarth, he curiously didn't have many saves to make as most of Peterhead's efforts were off-target. But he seemed reasonably assured whenever he was called into action and had no chance with any of the goals. His kicking is excellent and may prove invaluable down the Rock. I'd be for giving him an extended run in the team ahead of the other two.

No idea re the injury tbh - Newbury trudged off but it was on the far side of the pitch. I'd be hopeful it was just a knock.

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Somebody give me a shout when this season's over.

I think this is most people's overriding feeling.Whats the point?

It is true we have had hideous luck or bad luck with injuries which has not helped at all.This season reminds me of 90/91, for those of a vintage, which was identical to this one in that sign new players they get crocked immedieately.That being said at that time I had confidence in Billy Lamont something I am devoid of in SF.He would make a good assistant and is good at recruiting but as someone mentioned onhere as a manager his level is WOS league.

After the Stiring game last year where we lost 6 nil i had a rant about SF as I was convinced he wasnt the man for the job.I was chastised by some on here for being a knicker-wetter but to me it was obvious even back then and without the benefit of hindsight that he is not up to the job.I stand by that and my feeling is just what OKI put above...i have zero expectations or hope for this year.The board need to do the right thing and change manager.We missed a trick in Ian Mccall as I think he would have been the perfect choice...see what he would do with this team.Probably whay GN is doing with Stenny.

The hope now is to stay up this year...seriously...get 40 points ..ssure safety and hope for the best for next year which even as I write this is cringeworthy, as it will be more of the same but probably worse.

Sorry for all the negativity but its my honest appraisal of the situation.

2 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

?

I texted my brother about 10 minutes in to say his kicking was superb. And, I kid you not, the next four kicks he took ended up the stand :lol:

His technique is excellent though. He really thumps a ball and almost sent us in on goal a couple of times. It's just it flicked from Ederson to Grant Adam then back to Ederson in about four minutes.

I'll accept my baseline acceptance criteria for GK kicking is pretty low and coloured by years of watching players try and fail to clear 25 yards on more blustery days at the Rock. In that regard, I don't see Hogarth having too much difficulty.

4 hours ago, George Parr said:

I'll accept my baseline acceptance criteria for GK kicking is pretty low and coloured by years of watching players try and fail to clear 25 yards on more blustery days at the Rock. In that regard, I don't see Hogarth having too much difficulty.

Was probaly fortunate that it was like a summers evening at Balmoor last night so not a proper test. Think we finally gave in to mucking about in our own half and thought we should try pressing a team and after it worked once did it a couple more times. Could not understand at the time why our whole team including our keeper stopped and watch while the wee fat boy knocked in the Sons goal apparebtly the ref blocked off our defender and while we all expected play to be stopped the ref was too embarresed to do it as the ball was in the net.

56 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Was probaly fortunate that it was like a summers evening at Balmoor last night so not a proper test. Think we finally gave in to mucking about in our own half and thought we should try pressing a team and after it worked once did it a couple more times. Could not understand at the time why our whole team including our keeper stopped and watch while the wee fat boy knocked in the Sons goal apparebtly the ref blocked off our defender and while we all expected play to be stopped the ref was too embarresed to do it as the ball was in the net.

Moderators please >

snapshot_forum.pieandbovril.com_1704912128803.png

22 hours ago, Jordo1872 said:

Looks like we’ve secured our place in League 2 tonight. Absolutely no faith in this manager or squad taking us through the playoffs, if we even manage top 4.

Are we far enough ahead of Clyde to say that?

57 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Our defending for that first goal last night is absolutely shambolic! I hope to f**k the young guy from Hamilton was indeed only suffering with cramp because Aaron Lynas is simply not good enough.

I had read your post before seeing the video and I was still surprised at how bad that was.