Derek Adams interview

2 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Surely the game needs characters though?  These post match interviews are utter drivel, same old cliches trotted out, nothing controversial.  I think the game would be a better place if more managers had an Adams style rant every now and again.  Gordon Strachan was always good value in a post match interview.

I do agree to an extent but I think basically calling all your colleagues and the game up here in general shite then it's a bit much. 

Maybe my selective memory coming in to play again but I can't really remember Strachan doing that - he may well have though.

What's the definition of a poorly run club though? 

Is it a club who has a guy keeping them afloat and writing off debt, a single point of failure you might say (County, QP)? Is it a club with stupid boardroom positions on stupid salaries that have no place at a club playing at the level they are, to the detriment of the playing squad (The Caley, Falkirk (although they seemed to have gotten their act together))?

For me It's think both of these scenarios.

33 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Again, I just don't understand your admiration for him - but the good thing about forums is the differing opinions.

I don't think there is anyone that can realistically disagree that the overall quality of the Scottish premiership is average to poor. That is just where we are. He may be right in what he said but he pissed off a lot of people by the way in which he delivered it.

There is a particular person and way to deliver the message. I don't think a manager who is in the midst of working in the Premiership should comment on the standard, especially in such a strong way.

I value people being honest, direct and genuine no matter how brutal it can be more than the molly coddle approach. That is what I admire about him in this instance. I don't particularly care about the specifics of the debate over the leagues, but whether his opinion is deemed right or wrong I admire his honesty. 

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, Lex said:

This made me chuckle, from a Hearts fan too! In the Scottish Premiership alone - the infamously financially doped up Hearts went into admin, Rangers have went into admin and then been liquidised, Dundee have went into admin twice and Motherwell once. That's five admins out of 12 clubs in this century alone. I don't know the admin rate for the EFL, but I bet it is less than 41.6%.

To be fair, Hearts, Dundee and Motherwell are run far better than they were a decade or more ago.

Scottish premiership clubs are run within their means now, predominantly because there’s no land of milk and honey to strive for. 

Not that it’s sustainable but the championship clubs are chasing something in that English premier league cash, I don’t doubt if there was something similar on offer here, even if it was easier access to Europe then clubs would (hiya rangers). 

it’s more mental that going back 20-30 years Scottish clubs did spend as if there was something lucrative to chase. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Scottish premiership clubs are run within their means now, predominantly because there’s no land of milk and honey to strive for. 

Not that it’s sustainable but the championship clubs are chasing something in that English premier league cash, I don’t doubt if there was something similar on offer here, even if it was easier access to Europe then clubs would (hiya rangers). 

it’s more mental that going back 20-30 years Scottish clubs did spend as if there was something lucrative to chase. 

Yeah this is a fair comment. You just need to look at two rivals in Nottingham Forest and Derby to show what owners will do to make it to the holy land of the EPL. Two polar opposite tales of fortune as well.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Adams has got under your skin. When we get to name calling it's moved to the personal/emotional end of the spectrum.

For what it's worth I don't think his comments were malicious and came from genuine frustration at the standard. Maybe they were ill-advised - if you insult our product then you're going to face a backlash and a defence of the honor of the league obviously.

Ultimately, I respect him for being honest - saying it as he sees it. I'd rather that even if he makes a false step here and there than the bland media trained managers. 

He isnt being honest though, the '100 times' comment is that of someone whos lost a match and their head has completely gone. I wouldnt have minded if he said the standard was significantly better where he was previously managing but to exaggerate like that just reeks of bitterness.

Edited by gannonball

3 hours ago, Lex said:

This made me chuckle, from a Hearts fan too! In the Scottish Premiership alone - the infamously financially doped up Hearts went into admin, Rangers have went into admin and then been liquidised, Dundee have went into admin twice and Motherwell once. That's five admins out of 12 clubs in this century alone. I don't know the admin rate for the EFL, but I bet it is less than 41.6%.

I see your point in terms of 'events', but the English leagues are bonkers with the finances. Bristol City, a bang average Championship side, are losing the best part of half a million pounds a week;

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-bristol-city-losses-pandemic-championship-opinion#:~:text=Bristol City released their annual,the year to June 2021.

Some of these figures are.... eye-watering;

https://x.com/SwissRamble/status/1382577657020309504?s=20

39 minutes ago, gannonball said:

He isnt being honest though, the '100 times' comment is that of someone whos lost a match and their head has completely gone. I wouldnt have minded if he said the standard was significantly better where he was previously managing but to exaggerate like that just reeks of bitterness.

Adams retracted those comments about Morecambe and admitted to have made a miss-step by saying that.  The rest was in my view an honest response to what he had seen since he has come back up to Scotland. 

39 minutes ago, SH Panda said:

Would you respect someone for being honest in saying the earth was flat, because they genuinely believed it was?

The content of the discussion isn't important to me, I don't have a strong view on his opinion - neither agree or disagree strongly, but I admire his directness and honesty in giving a straight opinion in a world where canned answers are the norm. 

39 minutes ago, SH Panda said:

I'm not calling him names, from what is known about him, he's a total c**t. Same way that Boris Johnson and Piers Morgan are c***s. I'm not upset or angry about It - just pointing it out. 

Personal insults always come from a place of emotion. Hatred, Anger, disgust, frustration - usually one of those. 

Edited by 2426255

@2426255 the fact Adams retracted those comments about Morecambe and claims it was  “miss-step by saying that” is quite a euphemism.  He quite simply lost composure and verbally lashed out.  This despite the fact he had a good few minutes to calm down before conducting the interview.

It will be interesting to see his response if and when any of his players lose composure in the heat of the battle, verbally lash out, and get sent off.  Will it be a classic case of do as I say not as I do or will he just ignore it?  

15 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

@2426255 the fact Adams retracted those comments about Morecambe and claims it was  “miss-step by saying that” is quite a euphemism.  

It is I who said he admitted to making a miss-step, those were my euphemistic words. He said this if you prefer a direct quote. Shot of grovelling he has accepted he was wrong so I think that's fair enough.

The one comment I made about a former employer (Morecambe) I probably shouldn’t have made because it wasn’t correct. I have apologised to the players for that. It was wrong of me to say that. I did say that after the game, and it wasn’t correct.

Derek Adams

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/ross-county/6296845/ross-county-derek-adams-sorry-after-outburst/

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

That’s always the case, regardless of who their manager is and what they have said.

Not normally. Ross County, managerial appointments aside, are such a non-entity as a club that their results either way tend not to bother me.

59 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Not normally. Ross County, managerial appointments aside, are such a non-entity as a club that their results either way tend not to bother me.

I agree with that. Most on here will be wanting County to get beat off Hibs to see how Adams handles it. Normally this game would not interest me. I'm totally indifferent to Hibs, but now I'll be hoping County win as I have a positive opinion of Adams after his interview so it's created interest in the game if nothing else.

It was similar with St Johnstone. I had no interest in them under Steven MacLean, but I like Craig Levein so I'm more interested to see how they get on. Managers I like in the Premiership in no particular order are Clement, McInnes, Martindale, Adams and Levein. The rest I'm indifferent to. Goodwin and Tommy Wright are examples of managers I didn't like.

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

What are you comparing it to? Are you a big fan of Czech or Bulgarian football or something? 

I'm not comparing it to anything. The Scottish top flight is dismally poor. The state of Czech, Moldovan or Baffin Island football is irrelevant. However crap it may or may not be won't suddenly make our game better.

Edited by kennie makevin

5 hours ago, Lex said:

Livi twice too, around the same time as Dundee's. The first admins were around the time football clubs were all overspending, it was the norm, after all the admins most clubs started calming it down. England are a bit later to the admin party though and are still overspending big time. Over inflated wages for bang average players down there too isn't helping.

Surely there’s a simple way to look at this is…..

Had County been the beneficiaries of a 90+7 winning goal, rather than the victims, would Adams have come out and made those comments?

Of course we’ll never know the answer to that, but anyone even remotely suggesting he may have done, is surely at it. 

If we can all agree that he wouldn’t have done, then surely we can confidently file this episode as huffy, teenage rant?