Edinburgh Derby Thread - The Ghost of David Brent Past

Rangers fans need to get it through their cretinous skulls that unless they cough up closer to £10m, Shankland won't be going anywhere in January. Alas, they are a bunch of utter tramps, so they won't.

This ain't ~2010 where Hearts are toiling for cash and urgently need to sell. We have no reason to, and he is clearly happy enough at present. The board also know they are under pressure after the recent AGM and won't entertain anything other than silly money.

Nor can he afford to down tools and/or chuck the toys out the pram to try and force a move if he hopes to be on the plane to Germany, let alone push to start as Scotland's number nine in the summer.

The ball is firmly in Heart of Midlothian's court. Unlucky.

2 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

I've been going to derbies since the 1980's and enjoyed countless victories. Hearts always finishing each decade with the better Derby record.

However, as each decades passes I'm always slightly concerned that Hearts superiority might come to an end. So delighted that already, it looks like the 2020's will be another Hearts decade. 

Edinburgh is maroon. HHGH

As long as I can remember, they've always had a reason why it's going to be their decade/time/century. It never is.

Mind when we went into admin and this was going to be their time of dominance?

How's that working out, lads? 🤣

Big thing for me tonight was that I thought Beni was fucking outstanding.

He's not quite back to the level he was at pre-injury, but that was a proper performance where he made a difference to the game and a lot of our good play and periods of control went through him.

Frankie Kent has been an excellent signing and was really good tonight.

It wasn't a great game, and it wasn't a great performance. But, for us, a draw would have been fine, to be honest. In terms of the table etc. And I never felt we were likely to lose. Always felt we were comfortable in the game. Hibs needed the win more than us, but never really looked likely to get it.

Well done, all.

Edited by VincentGuerin

16 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Rangers fans need to get it through their cretinous skulls that unless they cough up closer to £10m, Shankland won't be going anywhere in January. Alas, they are a bunch of utter tramps, so they won't.

This ain't ~2010 where Hearts are toiling for cash and urgently need to sell. We have no reason to, and he is clearly happy enough at present. The board also know they are under pressure after the recent AGM and won't entertain anything other than silly money.

Nor can he afford to down tools and/or chuck the toys out the pram to try and force a move if he hopes to be on the plane to Germany, let alone push to start as Scotland's number nine in the summer.

The ball is firmly in Heart of Midlothian's court. Unlucky.

I don’t think many Rangers fans would expect to get Shankland on the cheap. He is absolutely lethal, a player really carrying a side right now.

I actually agree that we probably can’t afford him, but to suggest a price tag of £10m is very wishful thinking, IMO.

There'll be loads and loads written and spoken about Shankland in the coming weeks.

It's quite simple. Finishing 3rd is probably worth £4-5m to Hearts. With Shankland, I think we're favourites to do that. Without him, it's very much up in the air.

If we get offered £4m or more, I think there's a discussion to be had and a decision to be made. Below that, I don't really see a rationale for selling him. If other clubs don't think he's worth that, that's fine.

If his goals get us third and we sell him for a lower fee next summer, then we come out of the deal up overall and are well placed to replace him. Seems obvious to me. And if he goes to the Euros and scores a goal or wins a corner, then we might be able to bump that up a bit.

I don't see why we'd sell this January unless it's daft money.

4 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

What is the head to head wins in derbies since “the level playing field” and pilfering of poppy money ceased?

16-9 to Hearts.

We've beaten them as many times at Easter Road and Hampden as they have won derbies altogether in that period.

🤣

Edited by VincentGuerin

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

I don’t think many Rangers fans would expect to get Shankland on the cheap. He is absolutely lethal, a player really carrying a side right now.

I actually agree that we probably can’t afford him, but to suggest a price tag of £10m is very wishful thinking, IMO.

I said closer to £10m. Plenty folk, whether at the wind-up or not, reckon £2/3m and he'll be away. Pure fantasy. Rangers would probably get him for £7/8m, but they won't/can't pay that.

17 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

There'll be loads and loads written and spoken about Shankland in the coming weeks.

It's quite simple. Finishing 3rd is probably worth £4-5m to Hearts. With Shankland, I think we're favourites to do that. Without him, it's very much up in the air.

If we get offered £4m or more, I think there's a discussion to be had and a decision to be made. Below that, I don't really see a rationale for selling him. If other clubs don't think he's worth that, that's fine.

If his goals get us third and we sell him for a lower fee next summer, then we come out of the deal up overall and are well placed to replace him. Seems obvious to me. And if he goes to the Euros and scores a goal or wins a corner, then we might be able to bump that up a bit.

I don't see why we'd sell this January unless it's daft money.

He won't be sold in January unless it's for ridiculous money, and anything equivalent or below what we'll make for finishing third doesn't fall into that category.

Ideal scenario is he injures himself for a few months while scoring the winner in the Euros final, which causes other clubs to look elsewhere, before he then signs a new five-year bumper deal with Hertz.

7 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I said closer to £10m. Plenty folk, whether at the wind-up or not, reckon £2/3m and he'll be away. Pure fantasy. Rangers would probably get him for £7/8m, but they won't/can't pay that.

Nobody is going to pay £7/8m for him, let alone Rangers. I agree we can’t afford him. He is worth a lot of money to Hearts.

Just now, AJF said:

Nobody is going to pay £7/8m for him, let alone Rangers. I agree we can’t afford him. He is worth a lot of money to Hearts.

If nobody is going to pay that, it's fine by me as it means he won't be going anywhere in January. He is the difference between us getting European riches and not, which obviously has to be taken into account regarding his overall valuation. His value will likely come down a bit in the summer unless he has a stormer at the Euros, but even then it will still take £3/4m to land his signature. I imagine this is what will probably happen, unless come the summer Rangers end up looking elsewhere.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

🤣

Couldn't give a flying f**k, mate.

Dunfermline sound like some team. Enjoy your night.

No one said you should tbh. Odd to reply when you don’t care though.

Dunfermline are shite but that has hee-haw to do with last night’s tedious Edinburgh derby.