Edinburgh Derby Thread - The Ghost of David Brent Past

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Nobody is going to pay £7/8m for him, let alone Rangers. I agree we can’t afford him. He is worth a lot of money to Hearts.

The things Rangers have in their favour is its coming to a point where its now or never if he wants to sign for the club he openly adores. He could quite easily be unsettled.

46 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

The things Rangers have in their favour is its coming to a point where its now or never if he wants to sign for the club he openly adores. He could quite easily be unsettled.

'openly adores'    I understand that he favours Rangers but FFS. 😂

6 hours ago, AJF said:

I don’t think many Rangers fans would expect to get Shankland on the cheap. He is absolutely lethal, a player really carrying a side right now.

I actually agree that we probably can’t afford him, but to suggest a price tag of £10m is very wishful thinking, IMO.

Ok, £9,999,000 plus Lammers

6 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

The things Rangers have in their favour is its coming to a point where it’s now or never if he wants to sign for the club he openly adores. He could quite easily be unsettled.

“Now or never” seems a strange choice of phrase. As things stand he’s a free agent in 2025

7 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

There'll be loads and loads written and spoken about Shankland in the coming weeks.

It's quite simple. Finishing 3rd is probably worth £4-5m to Hearts. With Shankland, I think we're favourites to do that. Without him, it's very much up in the air.

If we get offered £4m or more, I think there's a discussion to be had and a decision to be made. Below that, I don't really see a rationale for selling him. If other clubs don't think he's worth that, that's fine.

If his goals get us third and we sell him for a lower fee next summer, then we come out of the deal up overall and are well placed to replace him. Seems obvious to me. And if he goes to the Euros and scores a goal or wins a corner, then we might be able to bump that up a bit.

I don't see why we'd sell this January unless it's daft money.

Yeah, he almost certainly won't be leaving in January for the reasons you state. Of course, this very basic reasoning is beyond the grasp of the thick c***s on Sportsound and the like.

Is he going to be "unsettled" if Rangers make a bid? I've no idea, but the numbers still don't add up for a January sale.

That said, I'm pretty certain he won't be with us next season and I'll probably go against the grain by saying I'm mostly fine with that as long as we get a good fee. Our attack is based around him and he's scoring every week, but it's also a pretty dysfunctional attack. Despite having the best goalscorer in the league, we barely average better than a goal a game. We were scoring comfortably more two seasons ago when we had a front three of Boyce, McKay, and GMS/Woodburn/Ginnelly (mediocre winger version).

It'd be a disaster to lose him now because everything revolves around him. in the summer there's time to reset that.

As to Shanks, Hearts should slap a £5m tag on him. If he goes to Sevco, Celtic or the Championship, he's gonna bag circa 25 goals a season for the next few years.

His goals will see us 3rd this season in all probability and thus net around £6m in a Euro wind-fall. We patently need him in the near future while hopefully getting another striker somewhere else. Van Ween would be a short-term support/ replacement IMHO.

13 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

As to Shanks, Hearts should slap a £5m tag on him. If he goes to Sevco, Celtic or the Championship, he's gonna bag circa 25 goals a season for the next few years.

His goals will see us 3rd this season in all probability and thus net around £6m in a Euro wind-fall. We patently need him in the near future while hopefully getting another striker somewhere else. Van Ween would be a short-term support/ replacement IMHO.

It seems you're all forgetting that whatever importance Shankland has for Hearts in their aim for 3rd, he will have even greater importance to Rangers in their aim for 1st.  

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It seems you're all forgetting that whatever importance Shankland has for Hearts in their aim for 3rd, he will have even greater importance to Rangers in their aim for 1st.  

Indeed, that's why I'd keep him until season's end, at least.

Well I've seen that film before - fair play Hearts, good goal from Shankland. Thought Hearts had the better of the first half but were weirdly ponderous when an opportunity presented itself; a few times they got in behind the full back into dangerous positions but Denholm and Forrest didn't seem very quick of thought. 

We were the more dangerous team in the second but massive shades of the Aberdeen semi - we get into dangerous positions but don't make high quality chances. Everything that's productive comes down the sides or deep in behind which ends up in the wide position as well, ball comes into the box/gets flicked into someone at a bad angle/driven across goal and usually at a defender's shins.

I understand the 442 - we have 4 central midfielders, 2 of whom (Campbell and Jeggo) are only good at quite specific things, and we have good forward players. I don't think we are getting the best out of any of those forwards though, and our only way of playing quickly through the middle is little flicks round the corner as we don't currently have anyone arriving from deep or occupying space between the lines as the CMs are sat on the defender's toes (and yet still get pulled all over the place in transition). Think it's telling that things have worked best with either ALF - our most experienced and best link-up striker, or Campbell playing as a Ross Callachan style box crasher/10. As it is now Vente is not getting chances and tbh Boyle looks utter gubbins right now; something needs to change including 2-3 players in January. Also I get the foot on the ball, bait the press thing but sorry while I think there's a place for them I do not want Lewis Miller or Rocky Bushiri carrying the ball into traffic.

Edited by GHF-23

Just now, Crùbag said:

Indeed, that's why I'd keep him until season's end, at least.

I suppose it comes down to how much Rangers are willing to pay to give them a better shot at 1st against how much you guys are willing to turn down to remain favourites for 3rd.  The money men will likely argue that Hearts will finish 3rd with or without Shankland so take the money now - that's assuming the number is in the almost too good to turn down range.

All hypothetical as this moment, of course.

10 hours ago, TheScarf said:

What’s the story with Hibs and Hearts giving half of Australia jobs as professional footballers? Presumably they don’t want mad wages?

Clearly there are a few quality individual players to be found in the A-League, but the overall standard tends to be far closer to Mark Birighitti types who aren't good enough for the Scottish Championship than hidden gems you can potentially turn a profit on like Keanu Baccus.

If Nathaniel Atkinson and Lewis Miller are the highest standard of full back clubs the size of Hearts and Hibs can find in scouting a different country, they should be looking elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Clearly there are a few quality individual players to be found in the A-League, but the overall standard tends to be far closer to Mark Birighitti types who aren't good enough for the Scottish Championship than hidden gems you can potentially turn a profit on like Keanu Baccus.

If Nathaniel Atkinson and Lewis Miller are the highest standard of full back clubs the size of Hearts and Hibs can find in scouting a different country, they should be looking elsewhere.

Im watching an A-League match on TNT right now as it happens, and it does seem quite Championship-like.  Very kick and rush and played at 100mph with the ball like a hot potato.