Clyde -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 30 December 2023)

Stenhousemuir's final game of 2023 sees them travelling to New Douglas Park to take on Clyde. It should be an interesting encounter - although the Bully Wee are bottom of the division, it feels as though they are very slowly getting their act together, while Stenny are in perfect form, winning their last eight matches. On paper, bottom versus top appears straightforward enough to predict, but I've got a funny feeling about this one.

The last meeting between the teams was a chaotic 2-2 draw back in September - Stenhousemuir should have been out of sight by half time but they lost their grip on the game after the interval and allowed Clyde to dominate and equalise; had Martin Rennie been a little more careful with his finishing, they could even have won it. I thought that result would provide a springboard for the team to climb up the division but it didn't happen and Brian McLean left shortly afterwards. Although they're yet to win under Ian McCall, it feels as though the team are more spirited and more competitive under his watch (and they should be buoyed by yesterday's 4-4 draw with Dumbarton). Even so, it feels like it's a good time to be playing Clyde - McCall will presumably turn the team over next month (Lee Hamilton feels like a strong signing) and this is the last chance to take on this disparate group of jobbers, bozos and has-beens.

Stenhousemuir haven't been too hot in their previous two games but have done enough to grind out victories. If they're at their best and take Clyde seriously, they'll beat them; perform like they did in spells against East Fife and Elgin City and they could struggle. The only change I would make from yesterday's starting XI is swapping out Edin Lynch for Ross Meechan at right-back - I think Lynch might be injured anyway but regardless, I think Meechan deserves a start. I'm also hoping to see a bit more from Ross Taylor here, otherwise Adam Brown can comfortably slot into his place.

- Matty Aitken -

- Euan O'Reilly - Matty Yates - Ross Taylor -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn -

- Kinlay Bilham - Gregor Buchanan - Nicky Jamieson - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

The head says something wacky might happen but the heart says a Warriors win. I look forward to seeing you all there next but, until then: have a world-class Christmas!

8 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Stenhousemuir's final game of 2023 sees them travelling to New Douglas Park to take on Clyde. It should be an interesting encounter - although the Bully Wee are bottom of the division, it feels as though they are very slowly getting their act together, while Stenny are in perfect form, winning their last eight matches. On paper, bottom versus top appears straightforward enough to predict, but I've got a funny feeling about this one.

The last meeting between the teams was a chaotic 2-2 draw back in September - Stenhousemuir should have been out of sight by half time but they lost their grip on the game after the interval and allowed Clyde to dominate and equalise; had Martin Rennie been a little more careful with his finishing, they could even have won it. I thought that result would provide a springboard for the team to climb up the division but it didn't happen and Brian McLean left shortly afterwards. Although they're yet to win under Ian McCall, it feels as though the team are more spirited and more competitive under his watch (and they should be buoyed by yesterday's 4-4 draw with Dumbarton). Even so, it feels like it's a good time to be playing Clyde - McCall will presumably turn the team over next month (Lee Hamilton feels like a strong signing) and this is the last chance to take on this disparate group of jobbers, bozos and has-beens.

A fair assessment of the last game.  Three points were well and truly thrown away by Stenhousemuir who should have had us well beaten after 45 minutes.  Better than us all over the park. We even let Gregor Buchanan stick one past us.  

Our current squad is still the shambles cobbled together by Jim Duffy.  Some potential, with others just not good enough.  As we won't have any new signings in by next Saturday, I would take a point just now.  Our main aim is not to be adrift when the transfer window opens.  

These free hit kind of games are quite nice for our players and fans alike, though I can't foresee that the pressure exclusively being on Stenny will count for much given the run they're enjoying. There's been a significant improvement in our shape since McCall has come in, though, and if Rennie and Young can combine in the manner that they did yesterday then they will be able to cause some issues, regardless of how good Stenny's defence may be. Leslie was a bright spark throughout in the first meeting of the sides and it'll be interesting to see what kind of part he plays, if any, after a bright cameo against Dumbarton.

Aye, Howie, Hamilton and Leitch look to be three good additions on paper and they have me feeling much more confident we’ll avoid the dreaded spot as Club 42. With Maitland talking about knowing what positions we still need to strengthen in, I’m expecting to see, at least, a competent left back, centre forward and a goalkeeper come in during the window.

As for tomorrow’s game, given we’re stuck with the same bunch of jobbers we’ve had since August, I’m under no illusions how difficult the game will be. McCall has us looking more organised but Stenhousemuir are on a fantastic run and will rightly be confident. I’d be absolutely delighted to take anything from the game but in truth am expecting a defeat in this one. The real excitement for me lies beyond this game when we can see who else joins the ins and outs of this Barry Ferguson-esque transfer window!

Edited by Replays

9 minutes ago, Replays said:

Aye, Howie, Hamilton and Leitch look to be three good additions on paper and they have me feeling much more confident we’ll avoid the dreaded spot as Club 42. With Maitland talking about knowing what positions we still need to strengthen in, I’m expecting to see, at least, a competent left back, centre forward and a goalkeeper come in during the window.

As for tomorrow’s game, given we’re stuck with the same bunch of jobbers we’ve had since August, I’m under no illusions how difficult the game will be. McCall has us looking more organised but Stenhousemuir are on a fantastic run and will rightly be confident. I’d be absolutely delighted to take anything from the game but in truth am expecting a defeat in this one. The real excitement for me lies beyond this game when we can see who else joins the ins and outs of this Barry Ferguson-esque transfer window!

Top 4 playoffs anyone???

I suppose Clyde's immediate concern is avoiding the bottom spot (and given the calibre of player they're bringing in, coupled with Elgin City's general wretchedness, you'd have to fancy them) but there's no harm in looking towards the next 18 months - with the right manager in the dugout and the right players on the pitch, there's no reason why you wouldn't fancy them to challenge for promotion in 2024/25.

8 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I suppose Clyde's immediate concern is avoiding the bottom spot (and given the calibre of player they're bringing in, coupled with Elgin City's general wretchedness, you'd have to fancy them) but there's no harm in looking towards the next 18 months - with the right manager in the dugout and the right players on the pitch, there's no reason why you wouldn't fancy them to challenge for promotion in 2024/25.

Am already saving up to lump on us winning the title 😬.

From the Clyde Twitter account:

“Our Fanzone will be open tomorrow from 12.30pm. Both Clyde and @StenhousemuirFC fans are welcome

The Glasgow Derby will be shown on the TV’s. Both alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks are on offer with hot food also being available.”

Just incase any Stenhousemuir fans hadn’t seen it, seeing as you haven’t visited us at New Douglas Park.

Drinks are usually pretty reasonably priced but, as a heads up, I have had a couple of occasions where I’ve needed cash to purchase food.

If the forecast is accurate and there is snow in the area for a while to come it will all depend on if we get the pitch cleared, or more to the point if the stadium owners allow it.  Clearing astroturf does have negatives for the pitch condition, they may not be fully for it.  I doubt any Clyde fan would be distraught at a postponement.