Stenhousemuir -vs- Stranraer (Saturday 20 January 2024)

From my angle, I didn't see what Wedderburn done to merit a red. He jumped up and in from behind but looked more of a yellow card. Couldn't see if he led with an arm or leg.

Aitken was persistently held or pulled back, barely got a free-kick never mind the defenders being booked. 

I thought Stenny had a clear handball penalty claim missed in the second half. Rodden getting a piggy back from the Stranraer left back was pretty funny. 

Positives - Anderson's foot work and skills today were impressive. His little Zidane style turn between three players was tremendous. Meechan and Bilham's high work rate and prevented a good number of crosses into the box. 

Another 3 points, extend our lead to 16 points but we'll need to play much better to continue the winning run against Peterhead next weekend. Hope Nicky and Bucky are alright. 

Edited by Old Fashioned Stramash

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

First of all: fair play to the players and management for keeping this run going! Twelve consecutive wins is an incredible achievement and everyone at Stenhousemuir FC should be delighted. To beat Rangers' record of 11 back-to-back victories from the 2012/13 season is remarkable and I hope we can somehow close in on, and overtake, Gretna's benchmark of 14.

We will, however, have to play a lot better if we want to win at Peterhead next weekend. That was perhaps the poorest performance of the run. There were some nice moments here and there, particularly in the five-minute spell around the goal, but the game was a little too chaotic for my liking and a better side could have taken advantage of our slackness, especially in the second half when we struggled to clear our lines and get a foot on the ball. Stranraer were miles better today than on their previous visit to Ochilview - Chris McQueen had a strong game at centre-back, Dylan Forrest was probably the best player on the park, Chris Johnston showed some neat touches before tiring - but their lack of a credible striker thwarted any hopes of truly breaching Stenny's defence; Darren Jamieson was, once again, largely unbothered in goal. Tam Orr looked up for it, trying his luck from range a couple of times early on, but he just could not get the better of Nicky Jamieson. Outmuscled at every turn, Orr would nudge and barge into his opponent in a doomed bid to put him off. It didn't work and his most noticeable contribution after the interval was the confused substitution. Stranraer are a handy side, pleasing on the eye, but a lack of physicality across the board will see them finish in mid-table.

Ross Meechan was Stenhousemuir's best player, setting up the unfortunate Kyle Girvan to deflect the ball into his own net, and looked confident as he motored up and down the flank all afternoon. Kinlay Bilham played well at left-back, Mikey Anderson was decent in midfield and Matty Aitken got through a power of work up front, especially during the interval. Kyle Jacobs looked the part when he came on and didn't waste a single ball during his brief second-half cameo. I didn't think much of the referee, who seemed to let a lot of calls go in the visitors' favour, but he was probably right to send off Nat Wedderburn, who recklessly flew through the air to wipe out his opponent at the death (that said, I'd like to see it again, and I do wonder if the club will look to have the decision overturned). If Wedderburn is unavailable, Jacobs is a very capable stand-in. Another concern is Nicky Jamieson's injury - he seems to have hurt his hamstring and will be a doubt for next week's match. Meechan appeared to hurt his shoulder and Gregor Buchanan was limping at points, and I hope the pair are okay. This might expedite the need for defensive cover from the transfer market.

I don't think it can be overstated just how good our defence is. Even when we're not playing well elsewhere, you can always rely on our back five to see us over the line. We've kept 13 clean sheets in 21 league matches, an extraordinary record, and they're perhaps the primary reason why we're in this position. Long may it continue!

I'm editing our highlights just now.  Thought at the time wedderburn was out-of control. Our footage confirms that. Clumsy. Prob red justified. However at elgin two weeks ago Robert Jones studied our goalie in the neck with his boot 6ft high. Ref gave a pen for elgin. What chance have u got. We were denied what looks a stonewall pen fir handball. However the refs are clueless. No surprise he can't see something 10yards in front of him. Fair play to Stenny. That's how you win titles grinding out narrow wins. Must point out though the stranraer teams earlier in season were short in numbers due to injury. Looks like Girvan has picked up another injury today. Already have Armour, Gallagher and McIntosh injured. Hopefully two of them back in next 2 weeks.

Edited by Blue1870

3 minutes ago, Blue1870 said:

I'm editing our highlights thought at time wedderburn was out-of control. Our footage confirms that. Clumsy. Prob red justified. However at elgin two weeks ago Robert Jones studied our goalie in the neck with his boot 6ft high. Ref gave a pen for elgin. What chance have u got. We were denied what looks a stonewall pen fir handball. However the refs are clueless. No surprise he can't see something 100yardscin front of him. Fair play to Stenny. That's how you win titles grinding narrow wins. Must point out the stranraer teams earlier in season were short in numbers due to injury. Looks like Girvan has picked up another injury today. Already have Armour, Gallagher and McIntosh instand fir months. Hopefully two of them back in next 2 weeks.

Will look forward to watching the highlights - Stranraer's package is probably the best in the business and of a consistently high standard.

5 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Will look forward to watching the highlights - Stranraer's package is probably the best in the business and of a consistently high standard.

Craig I had to remove some of Brian's chat today. Or it would be 20minutes 😅

That's not a red card in full speed or slow motion. It's not dangerous play or intent to hurt the opponent it's just a clumsy collision that looks worse because Nat is a unit compared to the lad he was competing against. There's no studs up or anything dangerous like that by the time of impact it's basically a knee from Nat's end.

I'd be appealing that one personally.

You've got to be appealing that red card. Bonkers decision. 

Looked like another afternoon of getting the lead and then relying on the backline to repel whatever comes their way.

Our toughest fixture in the league next week. Win that, and even I might start believing. But I'd take a point. 

I was surprised by the red at the time and looking back, it still looks like a clumsy barge more than anything. 

That was the worst we've played for a while but the defence managed to see us through again. I believe we've now only conceded in 9 of 42 halfs of football we've played.

Missing Jamieson from injury and Wedderburn from suspension would be a bit of a blow but I do trust Eden Lynch and Kyle Jacobs to be able deputies.

10 hours ago, Neilly said:

That's not a red card in full speed or slow motion. It's not dangerous play or intent to hurt the opponent it's just a clumsy collision that looks worse because Nat is a unit compared to the lad he was competing against. There's no studs up or anything dangerous like that by the time of impact it's basically a knee from Nat's end.

Fully agree. As I said before, it looked like a yellow card and seeing the highlights, I can't see where the merit for a red card comes from. Hope we appeal. 

10 hours ago, Neilly said:

It looks like one he's realised late he's not getting anything legal on it and tries to pull out of and he's too late so barges the boy over rather than actually kicking or elbowing him. It's a silly challenge but doesn't appear especially dangerous or malicious. I think you've called that spot on and I think an appeal would be won. It's a worthy yellow card, never a red.