Hearts vs Aberdeen 2024-01-27 15:00

7 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

VAR is a load of shite but you generally get what you deserve. We got two absolute gifts on Wednesday and still contrived to drop points. 

Made the choice not to watch today. Losing interest, feels like the club has written off this season so f**k them. 

Hearts will take 3rd at a canter again. 

Old Firm matches excepted, generally I think these things even out. The good fortune Aberdeen had midweek does seem to have had its counterpoint today 

Shankland only seems to score great goals now. His last 5 have all been ridiculous finishes.

Am I deluded for thinking Gordon might have saved the "goal" yesterday and McGhee's in midweek? Clark is too close to his near post on both occasions imo.

21 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Shankland only seems to score great goals now. His last 5 have all been ridiculous finishes.

Am I deluded for thinking Gordon might have saved the "goal" yesterday and McGhee's in midweek? Clark is too close to his near post on both occasions imo.

Maybe not, I thought Gordon should have saved the Spartans goal. 

10 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

That'll do.

Really poor first half, but, even with Hearts being shite, you never felt Aberdeen had anything really to offer. I've not seen any highlights, so no idea about the disallowed goal etc. But, I think Hearts were quite comfortably the better side overall, and the second half was quite shocking in how one-sided it was. Considering Aberdeen were the side that needed to win, I thought they offered very little.

Hearts aren't great, but I think we've now seen enough to be confident that we're significantly better than the competition. We've got a solid core, and that's the basis for the mildly competent supporting acts to Shankland to go and get the job done in games like today. It's not a Hearts team anyone will look back on with fondness in the future, but it's better than the teams it has to be better than. Seen nothing from this Aberdeen team to disabuse me of my view that it's vastly over-rated. Unbalanced, lacking a core, easy to play against. Rolled over today. Said back in the summer I wouldn't be shocked if they finished bottom six, still feel that way.

If we don't get third from here, every c**t needs sacked. You get a lot of the Aberdeen fans on here who love to call this Hearts team "bang average". I don't really disagree, but the teams we're up against are pure shite, and there's no excuse for not walking this in from here.

From my experience over the last couple of decades and more, the team that finishes 3rd/best of the rest can usually be described as "average". We've had several top 3 finishes in that time, but aside from 97/98 and 05/06, I'm not sure any of our teams escape that description. The same is true of Aberdeen aside from a season or two when McInnes was at his peak. Average is the norm.

If it wasn't for a horror run of injuries last season, we'd very likely be on course for a 3rd straight 3rd place, even allowing for Neilson losing the plot a year ago. That's at least a welcome level of relative consistency which we haven't had for ages.

27 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I think so. As much as Miovski hit it well, it wasn’t right in the corner and thought it probably should’ve been tipped over.

Just now, DC92 said:

From my experience over the last couple of decades and more, the team that finishes 3rd/best of the rest can usually be described as "average". We've had several top 3 finishes in that time, but aside from 97/98 and 05/06, I'm not sure any of our teams escape that description. The same is true of Aberdeen aside from a season or two when McInnes was at his peak. Average is the norm.

If it wasn't for a horror run of injuries last season, we'd very likely be on course for a 3rd straight 3rd place, even allowing for Neilson losing the plot a year ago. That's at least a welcome level of relative consistency which we haven't had for ages.

Aye, that's fair. Whoever  finishes third other fans always say "they're NO EVEN THAT GOOD!!!!" and it's almost always true.

Last season is one that I just think we were unlucky with, to be honest. Obviously. mistakes were made, and we dug some holes for ourselves, but I think the sheer volume of injuries to key players would have had most teams in the bottom six.

Good to get a clean sheet again. We're based on not conceding (which is part of being good). I think we need about six wins to wrap this up.

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Aye, that's fair. Whoever  finishes third other fans always say "they're NO EVEN THAT GOOD!!!!" and it's almost always true.

Last season is one that I just think we were unlucky with, to be honest. Obviously. mistakes were made, and we dug some holes for ourselves, but I think the sheer volume of injuries to key players would have had most teams in the bottom six.

Good to get a clean sheet again. We're based on not conceding (which is part of being good). I think we need about six wins to wrap this up.

If you take games against the top two out of the equation, Killie, St Mirren and Aberdeen all have a ceiling of 65 points, Dundee 67, and Hibs 63. Six wins will definitely do it. We'd probably get away with four and a couple of draws tbh, but I'd rather we just get it done and have the cigars out in March again. 

On 26/01/2024 at 11:12, Tony Wonder said:

If we start properly and not like a bunch of fannies I think we'll win. 2-1 Hearts, Shankland to miss his 4th penalty in a row.

Got this wrong. Started like a bunch of fannies and still won at a canter. 

55 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Don't think Gordon had any chance tbh. Caught flat footed with a great dipping finish.

53 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't think we are a great team by any stretch, but I also don't think we are average in terms of this league.

We score good goals at important times, we have a bit dig about us, and we are solid. We are also improving in terms of the football we play. Yesterday first half was awful, but in the second we played good stuff. We were brave in trying to play through the lines rather than being safe and we showed a willingness to try and get more goals rather than try to sit back and see it out.

10 wins and a draw out of our last 13 isn't a fluke and it's not average.

Edited by Tony Wonder

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

I don't think we are a great team by any stretch, but I also don't think we are average in terms of this league.

We score good goals at important times, we have a bit dig about us, and we are solid. We are also improving in terms of the football we play. Yesterday first half was awful, but in the second we played good stuff. We were brave in trying to play through the lines rather than being safe and we showed a willingness to try and get more goals rather than try to sit back and see it out.

10 wins and a draw out of our last 13 isn't a fluke and it's not average.

Fair that we're a good team in context. We exist in our league, and we're a good side there.

I've mentioned before that I'll still be clinging to Naismith out as Craig Gordon is lifting the Europa League trophy next season, but I think it will be interesting to see how the team develops from here. We've got obvious shortcomings just now, but if we can go on and get group stage fitba next season, that'll massively shift the budget for the next 2-3 seasons, and then it'll be interesting to see where we end up.

Last season was unfortunate, but we seem to be doing a good job of getting back on the horse and making it look like an aberration.

2 hours ago, DC92 said:

It’s a frustrating  yet immutable truth that not every season can be “above average”

Morning folks, just reading a few of the comments (I'm generally just a browser of P&B, not a poster) and thought I'd pick up on a few points about the coverage on Hearts TV yesterday (I do the commentary).

One thing we try to do, and it's always been my approach in over 10 years of doing this, is provide a fair portrayal of the match. Yes, I want Hearts to win - but I prefer to call it as I see it and although you'll hear my allegiances very clearly when we score, beyond that I aim to be as objective as possible. The feedback we've had from other supporters has largely been that we manage to achieve that, albeit like anyone we make mistakes sometimes. 

Yesterday when Aberdeen were coming forward for the eventual Miovski disallowed goal (cracking finish btw), I said that Baningime "took a tumble". As I watched it happen in real time, that's what I saw, partly due to my eyes following Connor Barron and not Beni. When we got a replay of the incident it was not clear to us whether there was contact between Miovski and Beni (we have a small laptop stream and it's not always the best for seeing the finer detail of these moments), but I said if there was contact then you can see why the referee would disallow the goal - as Beni has been impeded as he tries to close down Barron, who sets up the goal. It's one of those that doesn't get given without VAR, and I can actually understand the frustration from a Dons perspective, but it's the age we live in unfortunately. I'm not a VAR fan and never have been, obviously this time it worked in our favour though; like it did for Aberdeen against St Johnstone midweek.

One thing I did disagree with was Gary Wales saying he felt the trip was deliberate at half time when the lads reviewed it in the studio. For me Miovski doesn't mean to trip Beni, but if he has caught him then it's still a foul. I actually chatted to Gary after the game about it and he said he felt it was a move he did a few times himself as a striker, just make sure he catches the player. I still didn't agree, but that's just our difference of opinion. 

Anyway, I thought we were decent value for the win in the end yesterday. Aberdeen were the better team in the first half, but we really upped our game after the break and looked more threatening over the piece. I do think Aberdeen have a good group of players though, which they really should be getting more out of - and probably would get more out of with a different man at the helm. 

17 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

No it isn't

At the game, it looked like a brilliant finish. On Sportscene, I was left wondering how the f**k Clark didn't save it. It was almost straight at him.

Game of two halves. We deserved the win overall though. I think that would have been an enjoyable game for the neutrals. Should have been on SKY as Sutton and that other walloper would have struggled to sneer and snide about it. Great result for us. 

1 hour ago, lennyzer0 said:

At the game, it looked like a brilliant finish. On Sportscene, I was left wondering how the f**k Clark didn't save it. It was almost straight at him.

It was bent round the defender, giving clark half the time to see it, but other keepers, including Gordon, obviously, can visualise these better and the attempt to claw at it didn't look good; a fraction of a second is too little, too late

Not a fan of clark either, if you've seen previous posts about him

People should be well aware that Miovski knows what he's doing there; the reason he's not looking is because he knows he's probably going to feel a bump any second, so I felt exactly exactly the same as Gary at the time, still do

It's probably why the laws of the game don't excuse dubious 'accidental' stuff like that; the handball likewise

4 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Na, it was completely outwith the locus of his potential movement 😄

Too high, too far and too fast; couldn't get it