Stenhousemuir -vs- Dumbarton (Saturday 3 February 2024)

41 minutes ago, George Parr said:

We can talk about Dumbarton being the better team for the majority of the match blah, blah, blah but the simple truth is this was just another example of failure and a bottle-job in a crunch fixture. Our manager has a loser’s mentality and it’s catching amongst his squads. He has to go - sweep out the stench. 

Well done Stenny though, a Championship title surely now inevitable. Well deserved I’d have to concede. 

Serious question - does any Sons fan think that Stevie Farrell won't be here next season ?  He'll decide when he goes.

20 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Serious question - does any Sons fan think that Stevie Farrell won't be here next season ?  He'll decide when he goes.

As long as Dr Neil remains no manager will ever be sacked. He is purely a yes man for the dodgy owners and does not have the energy or required skillset to sack and replace a manager. The man is stinking the place out and I hope our new Trust rep puts serious pressure on him to do, well, fucking anything. 

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

All this chat, and nobody has mentioned the sozzled boy from Stenny hospitality going head first over the wall in front of the stand inside the first five minutes. I'm informed Pixellot failed to capture it, nobody happened to be filming at that point did they? We didn't speak on the stream for a good two or three minutes because I was struggling to breathe :lol:

27 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

I think the board are terrified of having to find another manager. I don't really blame them because I'm terrified at the thought of them finding another manager too. 

Not sure where everyone is getting how this was a crucial match 

team 18 points ahead and winning 11 out of 12 play a team who are in and out of form 

1-0 win to the home team at top seems fairly acceptable 

think sons fans need to accept where we are at the moment 

34 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think the board are terrified of having to find another manager. I don't really blame them because I'm terrified at the thought of them finding another manager too. 

This is something I hadn't really considered before now but yeah I somehow can't see them getting that decision right. 

3 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

team 18 points ahead and winning 11 out of 12 play a team who are in and out of form 

Personally it's less about the result yesterday for the reasons you say but it's not about that one off game really. It's every time we play a team that are near the top of the league, or a playoff, or something verging on "must win" that we just don't win at all. 

We beat East Fife at home in April, the draw away at Stirling with 14 (?) players was admirable but then we play Annan in the playoffs and completely collapse as we had the year before. 

It does seem a bit harsh to pick out yesterday's result as being bad for the reasons in your post but it's just the same thing year after year now.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

All this chat, and nobody has mentioned the sozzled boy from Stenny hospitality going head first over the wall in front of the stand inside the first five minutes. I'm informed Pixellot failed to capture it, nobody happened to be filming at that point did they? We didn't speak on the stream for a good two or three minutes because I was struggling to breathe :lol:

Him and his pure beamer got huckled up the tunnel by a steward, and so far as I know he wasn't seen again.

Never got it on film, but it happened pretty much right in front of me. Guy came flying down the stairs, across the walkway and hit the wee gate at waist height. Made no attempt to use his arms at any point, so top half kept going, and he flipped over to alternative vertical (head down, feet up) like a WWE wrestler was slamming him. Ended up flat on his back on the outer part of the astro.

Certainly had had his money's worth in hospitality. 

2 hours ago, George Parr said:

Our manager has a loser’s mentality and it’s catching amongst his squads. He has to go - sweep out the stench. 

I’d like to see his post-match interview. As I said above, suspect he won’t be too bothered about losing. Loser mentality.

59 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

Is that a direct quote from Faz’s post-match?!

2 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

The soonest he’ll go is the end of next season when his contract’s up. He will never be sacked. Wouldn’t shock me at all if he talks his way to another contract extension, though. As a few have mentioned, that would be an easier option for the night of the living dead board than finding someone new.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, Clarko_son said:

Personally it's less about the result yesterday for the reasons you say but it's not about that one off game really. It's every time we play a team that are near the top of the league, or a playoff, or something verging on "must win" that we just don't win at all. 

We beat East Fife at home in April, the draw away at Stirling with 14 (?) players was admirable but then we play Annan in the playoffs and completely collapse as we had the year before. 

It does seem a bit harsh to pick out yesterday's result as being bad for the reasons in your post but it's just the same thing year after year now.

I definitely feel it's a mentality thing. I don't think it's any coincidence that this group have always given a good account of themselves against "superior" opposition, when the pressure is off. So many examples of this over the last few years.

Vs Clyde (league above - win)

Vs Annan (league above - win)

Vs Dundee (narrow/harsh defeat to a dubious pen with 10 men)

Vs Kilmarnock (narrow/harsh defeat in last 5/10 minutes)

Vs Kelty (League above - Narrow defeat but put a good showing and result was harsh)

That's just off the top of my head. You could argue that this goes back further - even before Farrell's reign. But good managers get results in the games that matter. We dont. We haven't really been able to do so since we were in the Championship.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

We'd probably end up with Jim Duffy.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Him and his pure beamer got huckled up the tunnel by a steward, and so far as I know he wasn't seen again.

Never got it on film, but it happened pretty much right in front of me. Guy came flying down the stairs, across the walkway and hit the wee gate at waist height. Made no attempt to use his arms at any point, so top half kept going, and he flipped over to alternative vertical (head down, feet up) like a WWE wrestler was slamming him. Ended up flat on his back on the outer part of the astro.

This is a beautifully worded account of it.

9 minutes ago, Laurie Williams Loyal said:

Duffy kept us in the 1st division with less resource 

He did. But the PTSD from having to watch that season irl still lives with me. 

You'd look at our defence and be like 'how can a side that's conceded 24 goals in 22 games be in relegation danger'.

And then the goals for column would hit. 14 in 22 matches, three in the final game of the season. 

That squad were a very likable group of boys, with it being Covid with games every few days and nobody else being in the stadium I got to know most of them quite well. But that team was the most tedious to watch I've ever seen. 

I also think Duffy is partly to blame for where we are. He (by all accounts) was quite happy to empty the majority of the 2018/19 squad who finished the season in excellent form and were a great watch. Then faffed in the transfer market, signed a lot of dross and we went from promotion playoff contenders to League One relegation fodder.

He did decide to walk away though. If he'd wanted to stay then, imo, our board wouldn't have emptied him.

I've always said you judge a manager on where the team are when he leaves them. Chapman left us a division above, so is a success. Adamson the same, so a success. Ian Murray got us from 10th to 7th in his final season. So a success. Since then it's been downhill all the way (although Duffy did take over with us ninth and leave with us ninth).

Edited by Jan Vojáček

4 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He did. But the PTSD from having to watch that season irl still lives with me. 

You'd look at our defence and be like 'how can a side that's conceded 24 goals in 22 games be in relegation danger'.

And then the goals for column would hit. 14 in 22 matches, three in the final game of the season. 

Robert Jones and Jaime Wilson still give me the fear. 

Oaacvg.gif.0f660fea16fabe96ff24cecc4141353f.gif

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Shite cottage pie can do that to a person.