Mathematical Milestones 2023/24

It's that time again. 

Livingston will be the first team officially out of the title race if Celtic beat Aberdeen at lunchtime on Saturday. If Celtic fail to win then Livi must take all 3 points at Ibrox to maintain a title challenge. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

27 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

It's that time again. 

Livingston will be the first team officially out if the title race if Celtic beat Aberdeen at lunchtime on Saturday. If Celtic fail to win then Livi must take all 3 points at Ibrox to maintain a title challenge. 

Martindale still in the title hunt even after shopping at Primark is exceptional work....can't understand people's frustrations with him

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Surely the way games v each other etc go there are teams already unable to win the league?

Not in this case. Livi would need to win every game and Celtic lose every game. In this scenario 'Rangers' and Livi would be tied on 58 points if the only two games won by 'Rangers' were the remaining games against Celtic. Also if Celtic lose at Pittodrie and Livi win at Ibrox then Livi could afford for one of the remaining Celtic v 'Rangers' games to be a draw if they win out and Celtic lose to everyone else. 

21 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

The draw between Aberdeen and Dundee sealed a top 6 finish for Celtic. 

Owen Beck doing the job for Celtic, and that’s despite picking Dundee over them.

14 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Not in this case. Livi would need to win every game and Celtic lose every game. In this scenario 'Rangers' and Livi would be tied on 58 points if the only two games won by 'Rangers' were the remaining games against Celtic. Also if Celtic lose at Pittodrie and Livi win at Ibrox then Livi could afford for one of the remaining Celtic v 'Rangers' games to be a draw if they win out and Celtic lose to everyone else. 

They'd also need to be guaranteed to be in the top 6 at the split but with that winning run above that's a formality! 

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Celtic fans will be disappointed with their draw in Aberdeen along with Rangers beating Livingston but it does at least  mean that Livingston can no longer catch Celtic 

The West Lothian title dream is over for another season.

image.jpeg.420f57e67bd6dc62fb9368f472107855.jpeg

I’ve deleted the other version of this thread to avoid confusion 

As far as I can see Hibs can’t catch Celtic before the split but Aberdeen or Dundee can but they play each other on March 13 so they can’t both do it which means the hoops are the first to secure top 6 status and thus also first to avoid the drop

Could someone check my working though

On 03/02/2024 at 23:27, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I’ve deleted the other version of this thread to avoid confusion 

As far as I can see Hibs can’t catch Celtic before the split but Aberdeen or Dundee can but they play each other on March 13 so they can’t both do it which means the hoops are the first to secure top 6 status and thus also first to avoid the drop

Could someone check my working though

Celtic have definitely clinched a top 6 spot. We still have to play Dundee twice. 

Rangers have also clinched a top 6 spot. For Hibs and Aberdeen to overhaul them, Hibs would need to win out to get to 56, this would in turn mean Aberdeen would need to win out apart from against Hibs this would leave Dundee unable to over haul them due to losing to Aberdeen twice and Hibs. It would also mean St mirren needing to win all their matches apart from losing to Aberdeen which would see them beating Killie which would leave Kilmarnock unable to match Rangers current total due to losing to Aberdeen and St mirren. 

For Aberdeen and Dundee to catch them it would require Aberdeen and Dundee to have one win each against each other but they both have to play Killie and St Mirren. 

If Dundee and Hibs were to catch Rangers then Hibs would need to win all matches to get to 56, Dundee would need to win all matches apart from losing to Hibs to get to 56 and St Mirren would again need to beat Killie. Killies defeats to Dundee and St Mirren would leave them unable to catch Rangers. 

So there you have it Rangers and Celtic have both clinched a top 6 finish. 

47 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Celtic have definitely clinched a top 6 spot. We still have to play Dundee twice. 

Rangers have also clinched a top 6 spot. For Hibs and Aberdeen to overhaul them, Hibs would need to win out to get to 56, this would in turn mean Aberdeen would need to win out apart from against Hibs this would leave Dundee unable to over haul them due to losing to Aberdeen twice and Hibs. It would also mean St mirren needing to win all their matches apart from losing to Aberdeen which would see them beating Killie which would leave Kilmarnock unable to match Rangers current total due to losing to Aberdeen and St mirren. 

For Aberdeen and Dundee to catch them it would require Aberdeen and Dundee to have one win each against each other but they both have to play Killie and St Mirren. 

If Dundee and Hibs were to catch Rangers then Hibs would need to win all matches to get to 56, Dundee would need to win all matches apart from losing to Hibs to get to 56 and St Mirren would again need to beat Killie. Killies defeats to Dundee and St Mirren would leave them unable to catch Rangers. 

So there you have it Rangers and Celtic have both clinched a top 6 finish. 

image.jpeg.47eaaf70f5912ffac217a35e50fba291.jpeg

image.jpeg.3623857d0f813ca38d741bd33a12b787.jpeg

22 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Sorry Livi, we couldn't keep you in the race for a Champions League spot. So close yet so far. 

image.jpeg.0162813efbe2df7391623595685c5c58.jpeg

"Am I frustrated, Brian? Aye. Am I disappointed? Aye. Can I fault the effort of the players, staff, and fans at the footbaw club? No.

But I'll keep fighting every day to make the Europa League. Every day. Every day."

Edited by VincentGuerin

Defeat tomorrow for Ross County and they will be out of the title race and also unable to qualify for the champions league. A draw will keep the staggies in the hunt as long as the final two 'old firm' games result in a draw and a 'rangers' win.