Bonnyrigg v Elgin

Another big game for both teams and an interesting one to call. Elgin’s away form has been abysmal but we have a stronger squad and are playing with an increasing confidence. I wonder if Hale will stick with a winning team or take the opportunity to bring in some fresh legs with us into a gruelling Sat, Tue, Sat, Tue, Sat run and a likely heavy pitch. What team, performance will we get from Bonnyrigg? Will the weekends big Scottish Cup tie affect them? I would be more than happy with an Elgin point.

I agree a point would be a decent result, however the prospect of going 5th with a win tempts me into thinking we should maybe have a go. I think the Aberdeen game could be a big factor for them and their league form is far from impressive so for a change have a wee bit of confidence going into an away game, helped by how much stronger we look.

This has all the traits of a nil-nil bore draw (which isn’t a bad result for either team) but whoever manages to best deal with the pitch will have the upper hand. I can’t see this as a goal-fest …… a narrow 1-0 Rose win 

Bearing in mind I've had 4 hours sleep this might not be a true reflection!

First - the pitch. Wow, just wow. 

Moving swiftly along.. the game was pretty even, Bonnyrigg didn't give Elgin a second on the ball and the whole game became a poorly controlled 100mph dash, only broken by silly fouls and waiting for the ball to drop out of the sky through the blinding floodlights.

Goalkeeping error for the first; McHale shouted for the cross, came and got it, then dropped it, resulting in a simple finish <sigh>.

2nd was a great hit, but Bonnyrigg should never have got in a position to make the cross.

Too many individual errors for Elgin when pressed.

I'm now off to pretend I'm working whilst seeing how many coffees I can drink in a day.....

7 hours ago, Am Muilleach said:

Bearing in mind I've had 4 hours sleep this might not be a true reflection!

……

Pretty fair reflection - full blooded physical game (some pretty tasty tackles at times, but hey, it’s a contact sport) and I thought the ref let the game flow as well as he could. Both teams doing their best to win and played good football at times, even though the pitch doesn’t help.

Stand out players were Mailer and Barrett for Rose and the big #5 for Elgin. On tonight’s showing, both teams should progress away from the relegation zone ….

8 hours ago, Am Muilleach said:

First - the pitch. Wow, just wow. 

I went along too as I live nearby. Just curious- was it your first visit and you mean the slope? Or do you mean it was bumpy? The surface looked reasonable to me - guys standing next to me said it was much better than Saturday, when it cut up badly after all the rain. 

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I went along too as I live nearby. Just curious- was it your first visit and you mean the slope? Or do you mean it was bumpy? The surface looked reasonable to me - guys standing next to me said it was much better than Saturday, when it cut up badly after all the rain. 

The slope(s) did take me by surprise I'll be honest - must be quite an advantage for the home team I'd say; playing on that every second week you'd get used to  the run.

I know it is winter, but there really wasn't very much grass on it; very claggy in patches - not blaming anyone; growing good grass at this time of year is very difficult. Elgin's pitch can be "a challenge" at times.