Greenock Morton v Heart of Midlothian

I thought Morton played us very well, they contained us in the first half knowing they couldn't go toe to toe with us for the full 90, and went for it at the start of the second half hoping to give themselves something to defend, and they were bloody unlucky not to get that, I'm not sure Clark makes those saves that Gordon did (even though he's a very good keeper). All in all, a satisfying night with the job deservedly done, but it was a good cup tie at a cracking venue with a great atmosphere, credit to Morton and their fans where it's due and best of luck for the rest of the season lads. 

As for the draw, it's not the worst draw really, because now Aberdeen need to beat Celtic (and probably Rangers) to stop us getting group football in Europe next season, I don't even think they would get past us just now! I was hoping for Celtic in the draw, I like a wee bye ;) 

14 minutes ago, Galajambo said:

I thought Morton played us very well, they contained us in the first half knowing they couldn't go toe to toe with us for the full 90, and went for it at the start of the second half hoping to give themselves something to defend, and they were bloody unlucky not to get that, I'm not sure Clark makes those saves that Gordon did (even though he's a very good keeper). All in all, a satisfying night with the job deservedly done, but it was a good cup tie at a cracking venue with a great atmosphere, credit to Morton and their fans where it's due and best of luck for the rest of the season lads. 

As for the draw, it's not the worst draw really, because now Aberdeen need to beat Celtic (and probably Rangers) to stop us getting group football in Europe next season, I don't even think they would get past us just now! I was hoping for Celtic in the draw, I like a wee bye ;) 

I don't think stopping Hearts getting group football in Europe next season is high on our list of priorities at the moment.

14 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Muirhead incensed me and all the boys I stand with.  He sold the jerseys for that goal and put in a pitiful performance when we needed him to step up to the plate.  Why VT has red dotted you I've no idea.

When reading this I did wonder if you might be the guy near me who was shouting abuse at Muirhead all game, and was swiftly clamped by his fellow supporters after the goal for loudly blaming him. If not, I think you’ll join him in a very small minority. 

He led the line (not his role) in a game where we played 361 and surrendered the majority of possession, to question his workrate and blame him for the goal is just inaccurate. The shift he put in last night was incredible and his involvement in the goal happened deep within the opposition half. 

One of our best chances was a Baird header which came front a great delivery from a Muirhead corner. It’s baffling that some fans find themselves “incensed” by one of our most effective assets. 

On the game overall, I thought we competed really well and managed the game as well as we could with our limited options, Quitongo and Oakley were missed. 

We created 3 clear cut chances against a top side which is pleasing, but none were bad misses, Craig Gordon is just an outstanding goalkeeper - the highlights don’t do his save from Strapp justice. We also managed to reduce Shankland to the Morton version of himself so the back 3 deserve huge credit.

I thought the Hearts goal was just superb play from Biringeme (?) and Vargas, who missed a sitter just before. Overall they deserved the win. Hopefully there are more nights like that to come at Cappielow. 

36 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

When reading this I did wonder if you might be the guy near me who was shouting abuse at Muirhead all game, and was swiftly clamped by his fellow supporters after the goal for loudly blaming him. If not, I think you’ll join him in a very small minority. 

He led the line (not his role) in a game where we played 361 and surrendered the majority of possession, to question his workrate and blame him for the goal is just inaccurate. The shift he put in last night was incredible and his involvement in the goal happened deep within the opposition half. 

One of our best chances was a Baird header which came front a great delivery from a Muirhead corner. It’s baffling that some fans find themselves “incensed” by one of our most effective assets. 

No that certainly wasn't me.  No doubting his delivery from set pieces is a huge asset but he almost seems to be above reproach these days.  You clearly have a different opinion of his contribution to the game than myself which is fair enough but i certainly  wouldn't describe his shift as "incredible."  I don't dislike Muirhead btw and although him gifting possession was indeed deep in the Hearts half it was that which led to the goal no matter how you dress it up.  

Incredible is best suited to the performances of the likes of Power and in particular, Strapp.  

Edited by LargsTON

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't think stopping Hearts getting group football in Europe next season is high on our list of priorities at the moment.

It is for us though :D

19 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

No that certainly wasn't me.  No doubting his delivery from set pieces is a huge asset but he almost seems to be above reproach these days.  You clearly have a different opinion of his contribution to the game than myself which is fair enough but i certainly  wouldn't describe his shift as "incredible."  I don't dislike Muirhead btw and although him gifting possession was indeed deep in the Hearts half it was that which led to the goal no matter how you dress it up.  

Incredible is best suited to the performances of the likes of Power and in particular, Strapp.  

Agreed on Power, Strapp and I’d add Mullen too - their level of performance was outstanding. My comment re Muirhead’s “shift” was specifically about his workrate. I think the fact he had to work so hard off the ball for the team is one of many mitigating factors as to why it wasn’t a night for him to produce many moments of quality. There are valid criticisms to be had, but in my opinion no Morton player can justifiably be accused of a lack of effort last night. 

45 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

On the game overall, I thought we competed really well and managed the game as well as we could with our limited options, Quitongo and Oakley were missed. 

We created 3 clear cut chances against a top side which is pleasing, but none were bad misses, Craig Gordon is just an outstanding goalkeeper - the highlights don’t do his save from Strapp justice. We also managed to reduce Shankland to the Morton version of himself so the back 3 deserve huge credit.

I thought the Hearts goal was just superb play from Biringeme (?) and Vargas, who missed a sitter just before. Overall they deserved the win. Hopefully there are more nights like that to come at Cappielow. 

The bit in bold, as much as he was quiet and got frustrated he still had a decent effort first half and was a major influence in the last 20 minutes. His running in behind got Vargas his goal and should've seen him score another just before.

We need a 20 team top league. I loved that last night, trip away from the usual places, old school ground,terracing and a bowling club round the corner welcoming everyone in!

The game itself given their injuries Morton gave it absolutely everything, very direct and a proper cup tie. I actually think too direct at times as the turnover of the ball when they were on top was too high. The Rory Delap throws they overused for me.

Hearts I thought our CM were poor, never got on the ball and took little responsibility for me. Lembisika is dug meat. Grant can toodle off too.

Second half I think we seen Morton tire and Hearts started to create good chances, if Morton had something to hang on to I think we wouldn't of scored. In the end we done enough and overall just deserved it.

Getting away from the ground was easy enough, Glasgow was a fucking shambles. 4 hours kip and up for work,worth it.

Muirhead is an easy target for morons. Watched him track back all the way to the edge of our box to cover for Crawford and Strapp getting caught out going forward. 2 minutes later he's beaten to the ball from an aimless punt up the park and you start to hear people calling him a lazy b*****d.

Could be a long time before we get an opportunity like that to get to a Scottish Cup Semi. While I don't agree with Imrie that we should have been in the hat, Hearts were the better side on the night, we certainly competed very well and created 3 really decent chances at 0-0. 

I think it's fair to say the Morton players were out on their feet at the end and knew we had zero chance in ET. Hence we rolled the dice a bit and committed extra men forward. Hearts should have scored twice before they did - albeit I think there was an element of fortune about their goal as Shankland didn't mean to lay it off to Vargas and didn't even know he was there. 

Still - got to be very satisfied with the performance and in getting through the previous rounds. Thought Imrie played it well with the 3 centre backs and everyone put in a shift to stay in the contest as long as possible. 

Good luck to Hearts and fantastic to see so many travelling supporters in the stadium. 

Just watched the goal on the highlights:

1. Muirhead does give it up cheaply, trying to buy a foul (and had just done something similar before the chance where Vargas hits the bar);

2. Muirhead, Blues, and Power all had a clear opportunity to haul Baningime back as he got into his running;

3. Broadfoot has a moment and pushes up towards the ball, which leaves us even more exposed;

4. French then has a clear opportunity to win the ball when Shankland dithers, but doesn't take it.

That's pretty much the definition of (not) 'defending as a team', but for me the most important element is always the last, because that's the point of maximal danger. French has his moments going forward, but his decision-making is terrible... and he just isn't very good at defending.

4 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

The bit in bold, as much as he was quiet and got frustrated he still had a decent effort first half and was a major influence in the last 20 minutes. His running in behind got Vargas his goal and should've seen him score another just before.

The look on his face when the goal went in showed just how much it meant to him too. 

17 hours ago, Chicken Soup said:

An entirely reasonable take on the Muirhead matter. If I have one small criticism to make it would be that Dougie didn't take him off after about 75 minutes when he looked like he was absolutely knackered. 

3 hours ago, Mr Toon said:

An entirely reasonable take on the Muirhead matter. If I have one small criticism to make it would be that Dougie didn't take him off after about 75 minutes when he looked like he was absolutely knackered. 

For who though?

On 11/03/2024 at 21:51, SEETHING said:

Never in doubt. Not for a fraction of a split-second were the Good Guys (Hearts) in danger of anything other than a comfortable victory.

What an embarrassment Morton are. Chucking themselves to the floor at every opportunity, praying for throw-ins to fling aimlessly towards their cast of lumbering oafs in the box. Hopefully they can be retrospectively ejected from the Scottish Cup for sullying it with their odious presence. DELIGHTED that I can once again forget that they exist.

There is always one fanny on this board.

10 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

For who though?

Garrity, Bearne or McGrattan, albeit there is always the risk that making a change can disrupt the team and at that point it was still 0 - 0.