Heart of Midlothian v Motherwell

16 minutes ago, ropy said:

It looked like a lunge, the clip didn’t show any follow through.  I think (sometimes) the ref gets criticised for giving a decision the way he sees it.  VAR doesn’t help him here.  It happens, inconsequential in the end.

Inconsequential on the day

Although it is his 5th yellow of the season so there’s probably going to be a ban at some point 

5 hours ago, welldaft said:

You mean the team with a fuckload more resources and probably 3 x the wage bill of Motherwell won. Then that is probably more accurate. 

I thought we would concede before we did. In truth for all the possession Hearts had they did not trouble us much before our CB went missing for the hundredth time this season. 

I thought we played well defensively until we did not. I also thought we were on top from 45 to 60 minutes but lack of a Van Veen or Biereth type player that could take advantage. In some parallel universe we would have had both of the aforementioned strikers on the pitch today. Were it nor for the fact that Arsenal are twats and we have no money at all. The biggest difference (ref budget) was the Hearts substitutes did make a difference. Our subs rarely do.

Not sour grapes at all. Hearts are the 3rd best team by some distance and are a mile away from the basket cases that Hibs and Aberdeen currently resemble despite the wage bill they also have. 

The better team won.

Of course we have more resources and should win but it's not always the case is it? Currently we are using ours better than we have for a long time.

Hibs and Aberdeen as you point out correctly aren't. Killie took points off Celtic again and we play Greenock in the next round of the cup...

Motherwell sat deep as they could and came for a draw, Hearts getting the first goal was always going to be key. It meant you had to change tactics an leave more space. That's not a criticism,  I'd expect us to do the same at Ibrox etc. 

Hearts play like that first half most games, keep possesion, work and probe patiently and more often than not this year we eventually break teams down. Yesterday was routine in terms of how we play and how we have won matches.

Aye our budgets bigger, doesn’t change the fact the better team won. 

8 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You’ve got to have a dream, if you don’t have a dream then how you gonna have a dream come true 

Talking, talking, talking, happy talk!

9 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Although it is his 5th yellow of the season so there’s probably going to be a ban at some point 

Yeah this is what frustrates me. He'll inevitably get a ban at some point so we could do without him getting booked for fouls that are that soft.

Even in the context of the game it was soft, he let far worse slide.

Edited by Tony Wonder

5 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Yeah this is what frustrates me. He'll inevitably get a ban at some point so we could do without him getting booked for fouls that are that soft.

Even in the context of the game it was soft, he let far worse slide.

Watching it back just now, I'm not even convinced it was a foul.

10 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You’ve got to have a dream, if you don’t have a dream then how you gonna have a dream come true 

On the other hand we’re now stuck between the implausible dream of closing an 11 point gap on Celtic and the utter nightmare of blowing a 14 point lead over Killie

Wish us luck

You need to keep this chat for when you play St Mirren and you can get a contribution from Captain Sensible. That will take discussion to another level (not necessarily higher).

On 18/02/2024 at 00:30, topcat(The most tip top) said:

they were saying on Saturday it was his 6th booking and he misses the Celtic game now, please tell me they got it wrong. 

1 hour ago, Galajambo said:

they were saying on Saturday it was his 6th booking and he misses the Celtic game now, please tell me they got it wrong. 

I think because we are over half way through the season, he needs seven more yellows to hit 12 and trigger a two game ban now instead of one more to trigger a one game ban.

Just now, Kyle Reese said:

I think because we are over half way through the season, he needs seven more yellows to hit 12 and trigger a two game ban now instead of one more to trigger a one game ban.

Think that's only an English rule, can't see anything saying that in the SFA guidance, though i might have missed it

9 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Think that's only an English rule, can't see anything saying that in the SFA guidance, though i might have missed it

You could be right, mate. I’ve had a bit of a look and can’t find anything about it being the rule in Scotland. Wouldn’t be the first time we have copied the things that are a shit idea and failed to adopt any that are good. 

36 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

35 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

5th booking.

If he gets booked in any of the next two he'd miss Ross County away - Vargas, Devlin and Atkinson the same.  

Cheers for that lads, it was reported on Saturday it was his 6th booking and he misses the Celtic game, thankfully this isn't the case as we'd struggle to put 4 past them without him, it might only be 3 ;) 

2 hours ago, Galajambo said:

It's 5 according to TransferMarkt who are generally reliable on this kind of thing

• 13 Aug 2024: Kilmarnock (H), 30
  • 17 Oct 2024: Hibs (H), 5
  • 09 Dec 2024: Aberdeen (A),90+6
  • 02 Jan 2024: Livingston (A),45+4
  • 17 Feb 2024: Motherwell (H), 23

Lawrence Shankland - Stats 23/24 | Transfermarkt

He also had 3 yellow cards in our 4 Europa the Conference League games

There has been a reset around Christmas in recent years, if you haven’t reached the threshold for suspension then the target gets doubled.  Don’t know the fine detail or the wording.

(Vested interest as Slattery and KVV flirted with or breached the thresholds last season).

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's 5 according to TransferMarkt who are generally reliable on this kind of thing

• 13 Aug 2024: Kilmarnock (H), 30
  • 17 Oct 2024: Hibs (H), 5
  • 09 Dec 2024: Aberdeen (A),90+6
  • 02 Jan 2024: Livingston (A),45+4
  • 17 Feb 2024: Motherwell (H), 23

Lawrence Shankland - Stats 23/24 | Transfermarkt

He also had 3 yellow cards in our 4 Europa the Conference League games

Thanks for that TC 

On 19/02/2024 at 13:07, ropy said:

There has been a reset around Christmas in recent years, if you haven’t reached the threshold for suspension then the target gets doubled.  Don’t know the fine detail or the wording.

(Vested interest as Slattery and KVV flirted with or breached the thresholds last season).

I had thought there was something like this. Just can’t see it written anywhere.