What happened to top striker partnerships?

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I remember hearing an interview with riordan towards the end of his career and he was pressed on whether he had regrets about it. 

He kept just saying ‘you can’t change who your mates are’ and things like that. You realised he was always going to blow it. The interview genuinely irritated me, such a waste. 

He was never good enough to go any higher than he did, IMO. Physically he was miles off it and technically he got more hype than he deserved because he was a waster and people started dreaming up potential that wasnt there.

A top flight career of hundreds of games for a middle of the road team, then a brief unspectacular spell at a club higher than that, with his career dwindling down to lower league mediocrity, is about right for him.

O'Connor was the bigger waste of bigger talent, and a far sadder tale, to me.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was never good enough to go any higher than he did, IMO. Physically he was miles off it and technically he got more hype than he deserved because he was a waster and people started dreaming up potential that wasnt there.

A top flight career of hundreds of games for a middle of the road team, then a brief unspectacular spell at a club higher than that, with his career dwindling down to lower league mediocrity, is about right for him.

I wasn’t really meaning it as a ‘he could have been the next dalgleish’ type post. 

Young guys making an arse if their 20’s isn’t that novel, but it’s sad when he’s in his 30’s, sees his career slipping away and not fulfilling anything like his potential (whatever it was), and almost shrugging his shoulders and saying he couldn’t really have done anything different because of his mates. 

O’Connor has been far more reflective in his failings and how he let himself down. 

Nothing really to do with one being a bigger waste of talent than the other or vice versa. 

34 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The 2 seasons The Caley had Dennis Wyness and Paul Ritchie up front (01/02 & 02/03). It felt like we scored about 700 goals in that spell. 

01/02 - 33 goals between them (15 Ritchie, 18 Wyness)

02/03 - 37 goals (18 Ritchie, 19 Wyness)

People used to say Ritchie was no good because he didn’t tackle back and pressure opposition defenders!

We also had Craig Dargo and Wyness who played together in 2005/06 and 06/07. At one point they put together a run of each scoring in six or seven matches in a row.

Edited by ICTChris

11 hours ago, Willie adie said:

Tommy Coyne for me a very underrated striker, 

Not sure who doesn't rate him. 

I'd like to throw in Higdon & Ojamaa
Michael Higdon celebrates scoring the equaliser

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

01/02 - 33 goals between them (15 Ritchie, 18 Wyness)

02/03 - 37 goals (18 Ritchie, 19 Wyness)

People used to say Ritchie was no good because he didn’t tackle back and pressure opposition defenders!

We also had Craig Dargo and Wyness who played together in 2005/06 and 06/07. At one point they put together a run of each scoring in six or seven matches in a row.

Completely forgot we had Dargo and Wyness together too. I always think of that period being Dargo and Bayne.

35 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I wasn’t really meaning it as a ‘he could have been the next dalgleish’ type post. 

Young guys making an arse if their 20’s isn’t that novel, but it’s sad when he’s in his 30’s, sees his career slipping away and not fulfilling anything like his potential (whatever it was), and almost shrugging his shoulders and saying he couldn’t really have done anything different because of his mates. 

O’Connor has been far more reflective in his failings and how he let himself down. 

Nothing really to do with one being a bigger waste of talent than the other or vice versa. 

He probably doesnt think he had that bad of a career, though?

Always found it interesting how Hibs seemed to attract these types though.

Riordan and O'Connor obviously examples, Griffiths too to a slight degree now? Then youve got Stokes whos 35, hasnt played a game in about 3 years, ands whos currently in jail.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Absolutely mad take.

Physically he'd have been miles better if he'd been a proper professional with a good diet, a more professional approach to training and lifestyle etc.

Technically he was very good, but could easily have kicked on has the attitude been in place.

The career he had was a let-down. He should have had a Stephen Fletcher career down south at the minimum. Fletcher took his career seriously and worked on his physique etc to make the most of what he had. Riordan didn't.

I always felt O'Connor was the best of them.

8 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Absolutely mad take.

Physically he'd have been miles better if he'd been a proper professional with a good diet, a more professional approach to training and lifestyle etc.

Technically he was very good, but could easily have kicked on has the attitude been in place.

The career he had was a let-down. He should have had a Stephen Fletcher career down south at the minimum. Fletcher took his career seriously and worked on his physique etc to make the most of what he had. Riordan didn't.

I always felt O'Connor was the best of them.

Nah, Riordan was never going to be that size bulk wise, and if he did then he'd be less agile and lose part of what made him good. He didnt have the attributes to become a lone striker like Fletcher did. Id argue if he'd bulked up his career wouldve been worse, although I know how stupid that sounds.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Nah, Riordan was never going to be that size bulk wise, and if he did then he'd be less agile and lose part of what made him good. He didnt have the attributes to become a lone striker like Fletcher did. Id argue if he'd bulked up his career wouldve been worse, although I know how stupid that sounds.

Fair play then.

11 hours ago, Meeniedee said:

Tommy Coyne and Keith Wright at dundee during the mid-late 80's was an outstanding partnership...Wright just seemed to know where Coyne was and Coyne  just knew where to be = a shit load of goals.

From 86-87 until 88-89 Coyne and Wright scored 83 league goals between them

9 hours ago, Red Kite said:

I remember Tommy Coyne coming down here and glad he got playing again.  Would loved to have seen more of Sturrock and Dodds and McGhee and Black; we only got brief highlights of their exploits.

McDougall and Black were a partnership that was only together for an all too brief period, they both say that the other was Thier favourite partner.

My dad would certainly say Jarvie and Busby for Airdrie, and while I've not seen an Airdrie team as successful as theirs, Prest and Fernandez, Prunty and Lister, Ryan and Russell and Owen Coyle and literally anyone who could stand upright all gave some pretty special moments.