What happened to top striker partnerships?

The old 'two up top'!

There's loads of famous duos but it seems out of fashion now. Most of can name our favourite striker partnerships.

So...name them!

For me, and I can't imagine it would different for most Pars fans unless they were around in the 60s, it has to be Crawford and Brewster. An outrageous tremendous duo and it will be a very, very long time until we see better. They genuinely should have played together for Scotland at the time. Couldn't have been worse than Vogts' terrible nonsense.

Edited by DA Baracus

IMG_7680.jpeg.512c5fae8edb36efd9d8b3cdea7bccde.jpegIMG_7681.thumb.webp.9e16b31c5650c7f860d8194e8ded1371.webp

The forwards arrived in Paisley just a week apart back in June 1979. The clinical duo helped fire St Mirren to their highest ever top flight finish of third in their debut season, with Somner finishing top scorer of the division.

Agree, Brewster and Crawford were brilliant. 

2014 Stevie May and Steven Maclean was a brilliant partnership for us for a season, and we haven’t got close since.

Sturrock and Dodds at United

Coyne and Wright at Dundee

Robertson and Foster at Hearts

McCoist and Hately at Rangers

McGhee and Black at Aberdeen

Larsson and Sutton at Celtic

Edited by PauloPerth

28 minutes ago, Molotov said:

IMG_7680.jpeg.512c5fae8edb36efd9d8b3cdea7bccde.jpegIMG_7681.thumb.webp.9e16b31c5650c7f860d8194e8ded1371.webp

The forwards arrived in Paisley just a week apart back in June 1979. The clinical duo helped fire St Mirren to their highest ever top flight finish of third in their debut season, with Somner finishing top scorer of the division.

Who are they?

The rebirth of the 4-4-2, which IMO is due within the next few years (this will be Guardiolas next "invention"), will be the greatest thing to happen to modern football. 

Our best are fairly obvious, so ill go niche and say Kenny Deuchar and Andy Jackson. Sure they had a spell of being totally unplayable and im still heartbroken Jackson had illnesses that harmed his career. He was Stevie May before Stevie May, to me.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Robertson and Foster at Hearts

Foster is a bit of a cult hero for that cup goal against Hibs but I don't think you'd find many Hearts fans arguing this one.

The classic big man wee man combo was Robbo and Clark, although interestingly someone claimed his favourite strike partner was Jim Hamilton.

I'll always have fond memories of Robbo and Colquhoun together. Not much height in that pairing!

More recently (although almost 20 years ago now), Jankauskas was a great foil for Bednar.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Is that Tommy Coyne and Paul Lambert either side of a guy I don't recognise?

We AreNot amused.

We need someone (with better technical skills than me) to post a clip of that goal against Rangers (in their lilac strip) where Coyne plays a first time ball across goal for him to knock in.

Edited by Archie McSquackle
Add comment