Livi Lions maul the Stags - Game of the Year

Needless to say this is huge for both teams. A win for County would give us a little breathing space, a win for Livi would put us on level terms. 

Despite both clubs having very dodgy form, they’re have been glimpses of football at times. Let’s hope it’s a cracker on Saturday.

Expectations are very low but as a fan of a non glory hunter club, that can be said most weekends.

I'll be there as usual. I'm glad that DA and his toxic environment have left us, & hopeful that former Dingwall Academy lad Don, can help deliver a welcome 3 points.

2-1, Murray & Harmon to score for County.

Actually I'd suggest it was more a "don't lose" game. TBH its more a must win for County to try and stop the rot.

True; a win for the Lions by two clear goals would move us into 11th place but a loss, points wise at least, puts us back to where we were.

I think must not lose for Livi, as this would undo the good work against st mirren, and probably the same for County as would give us momentum. 

Murray is probably the best striker between the two squads and his inclusion would make me nervous. Hopefully Holt and Carson can cut off the supply.  

Could do with Donellan back in but to be fair to Sangare he did well on Saturday although I think St Mirren tended to focus more of their attack down the left which really didn’t expose him.

Really looking forward to the trip and making a day of it on Saturday. What’s the best shout for pre-match bevs? (I might be greetin efter!)

Edited by crispy

Remember Martindale saying something about Penrice being 7-10 days away before the St Mirren game, which hopefully at least means he'll make the bench for this one. No idea what shape Donnellan is in but the sooner we can get those two back the better. Yengi has definitely earned his place up top, and with Nouble looking back to his best we finally look like we might have some danger in attack.

A win would definitely go some way to giving us some proper momentum, but I actually think a draw wouldn't be the end of the world - despite feeling like a chance missed. The gap would still be 3 points, and we're likely to have County at home after the split if the fixtures don't need to be wonky. That's the game that would be must win if we can then just make sure we go 1 point (or goal difference) better than them in the remaining games.

27th/28th Feb: Ross County v St Mirren; Livingston v Motherwell
2nd Mar: Hibernian v Ross County; St Johnstone v Livingston
13th Mar: Ross County v Hibernian
16th Mar: Ross County v Hearts; Hibernian v Livingston
30th Mar: Aberdeen v Ross County; Livingston v Celtic
6th Apr: Kilmarnock v Ross County; Livingston v Aberdeen
13th Apr: Ross County v Rangers; Hearts v Livingston

Very similar run ins, opponent-wise you'd think ours is very slightly kinder (we have Motherwell and St Johnstone where they have Hibs and Kilmarnock), however that extra game against a dodgy Hibs could give County a huge confidence boost. Assuming we're still in the fight by the split, should be very interesting seeing how the last 5 games set things up.

Edited by LiviLion

44 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Remember Martindale saying something about Penrice being 7-10 days away before the St Mirren game, which hopefully at least means he'll make the bench for this one. No idea what shape Donnellan is in but the sooner we can get those two back the better. Yengi has definitely earned his place up top, and with Nouble looking back to his best we finally look like we might have some danger in attack.

A win would definitely go some way to giving us some proper momentum, but I actually think a draw wouldn't be the end of the world - despite feeling like a chance missed. The gap would still be 3 points, and we're likely to have County at home after the split if the fixtures don't need to be wonky. That's the game that would be must win if we can then just make sure we go 1 point (or goal difference) better than them in the remaining games.

27th/28th Feb: Ross County v St Mirren; Livingston v Motherwell
2nd Mar: Hibernian v Ross County; St Johnstone v Motherwell
13th Mar: Ross County v Hibernian
16th Mar: Ross County v Hearts; Hibernian v Livingston
30th Mar: Aberdeen v Ross County; Livingston v Celtic
6th Apr: Kilmarnock v Ross County; Livingston v Aberdeen
13th Apr: Ross County v Rangers; Hearts v Livingston

Very similar run ins, opponent-wise you'd think ours is very slightly kinder (we have Motherwell and St Johnstone where they have Hibs and Kilmarnock), however that extra game against a dodgy Hibs could give County a huge confidence boost. Assuming we're still in the fight by the split, should be very interesting seeing how the last 5 games set things up.

Are you sure about that - 2nd Mar: Hibernian v Ross County; St Johnstone v Motherwell

Actually I've just had a look at Motherwell's games before the break. There a few points ahead of us but us at the vale or maybe Hibs at home are about the easiest one; the rest are real bu@@ers.

2 hours ago, crispy said:

I think must not lose for Livi, as this would undo the good work against st mirren, and probably the same for County as would give us momentum. 

Murray is probably the best striker between the two squads and his inclusion would make me nervous. Hopefully Holt and Carson can cut off the supply.  

Could do with Donellan back in but to be fair to Sangare he did well on Saturday although I think St Mirren tended to focus more of their attack down the left which really didn’t expose him.

Really looking forward to the trip and making a day of it on Saturday. What’s the best shout for pre-match bevs? (I might be greetin efter!)

The National or the Mallard are good for a pre game drink. They are both very close to the stadium.

40 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Are you sure about that - 2nd Mar: Hibernian v Ross County; St Johnstone v Motherwell

They sign so many ex-Livi players I get confused*

*Think there's only a couple now tbh

Always had a soft spot for Livi, a club very much similar to County. I'm sad at the the thought that one or both could be relegated this season.

Livingston will be slight favourites for this match, seem like they have turned a corner which County have yet to do. However, Don Cowie has to be given a chance IMO.

I hope there is a huge turnout of home fans for this game, it really is the biggest match of the season so far! For the non-season ticket holders who can afford it (during cost of living crisis) I hope they turn up in style and fully back the team. No idea what the team should be, but whoever is picked, it's time for the County players to show they f'in care!!! 

Dhanda, probably disappointed he didn't get his Jan move to Hearts, yet if he wants to get in their team when he joins must step up a bit I feel. Would be great to see White get a goal, Brophy too. The confidence that would help the team massively. Murray I don't worry so much as he always gives 100%

Can't wait, a draw isn't good enough for County I reckon. 

This is the type of game Murray does well in. He's the type of boy you want in a dogfight. Relentless and a nuisance but in turn, it is the fact you sign players like him being the reason you're in a dogfight. Keep him quiet, it's Livi's to lose.

Hopefully Livi pick up all three points as it would make it a very interesting run up to the end of the season. 

50 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

This is the type of game Murray does well in. He's the type of boy you want in a dogfight. Relentless and a nuisance but in turn, it is the fact you sign players like him being the reason you're in a dogfight. Keep him quiet, it's Livi's to lose.

Hopefully Livi pick up all three points as it would make it a very interesting run up to the end of the season. 

Murray’s improvement since signing has been remarkable. His work rate too is first class. However, it’s all well and good having that up top, if the defence is made of chocolate. 

Murray scored both goals in our 2-2 draw at Livi, always looks dangerous, similar to when Watt was at Motherwell, always felt he was going to score against us.

As said, our attack is looking better, and our dodgy defence hasn't been quite as dodgy, so i think we've improved a bit since that 2-2 game. Fed up of us drawing games against the teams closest to us, we need to be winning these now, though losing would be gutting after finally closing the gap to touching distance beating St Mirren. Just fucking win this Livi, we have given ourselves a shot at getting off the bottom of the table.

Murray is a great player. I'd be disappointed if we didn't enquire when he came back from South Africa. Queen's Park seemed an unnecessarily low level for him unless they were paying Gretna money.

16 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Murray is a great player. I'd be disappointed if we didn't enquire when he came back from South Africa. Queen's Park seemed an unnecessarily low level for him unless they were paying Gretna money.

Think QP have taken 2 players we were after just recently, so yep, they're paying higher wages than we are.

8 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Remember Martindale saying something about Penrice being 7-10 days away before the St Mirren game, which hopefully at least means he'll make the bench for this one.

Sangare plays more conservatively at left back, less often going forward, and he positions himself more narrowly defensively. If you think of Murray's first goal in the recent home draw with County, Obileye's lack of pace was exposed by a through pass into our left channel for Murray. Sangare tends to occupy that space and cut out many of those opposition passes. 

There's also a knock-on effect to Sangare positioning himself narrowly in that it allows Obileye to be more central and Nottingham to then move into the right channel. This means Nottingham is better positioned to cover across into the right back area when Brandon goes forward.

Penrice might be better used at left mid in the 4-2-3-1 with Sangare or (once he returns) Montaño at left back.