Booking.com

Jambomo

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere but just in case anyone is booked up with a hotel on booking.com.

Apparently they were hacked towards the end of last year. I managed to not know about this and got some extremely authentic emails, from within the app itself, which purported to be from the hotel I’ve booked for the Euros. 

It had all my details, knew the cost of the hotel, everything and when I messaged the hotel from in the message area of the app, it was the hackers who replied.

The message seemed weird and looking at the link address they gave me it was leading to a replica of the booking.com site but at the wrong website address, so I guessed it was wrong. 

Just as a warning in case anyone else gets the emails as well. Despite it being last year, the scam seems to be ongoing.

Edited by Jambomo

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere but just in case anyone is booked up with a hotel on booking.com.

Apparently they were hacked towards the end of last year. I managed to not know about this and got some extremely authentic emails, from within the app itself, which purported to be from the hotel I’ve booked for the Euros. 

It had all my details, knew the cost of the hotel, everything and when I messaged the hotel from in the message area of the app, it was the hackers who replied.

The message seemed weird and looking at the link address they gave me it was leading to a replica of the booking.com site but at the wrong website address, so I guessed it was wrong. 

Just as a warning in case anyone else gets the emails as well. Despite it being last year, the scam seems to be ongoing.

I've had 2. If you don't immediately spot the message as a scam and ignore it, they say there's a problem with your payment, don't reply through booking.com, phone or email the hotel directly to check it out, apparently they have a way of conning the hotel into getting their code for accessing booking.com's messaging service and all the hotel's booking details. Ignore the contact details for reporting a scam below the scam message, that links to the scammers too. It's a bit feeble if booking.com still haven't sorted it out.

H

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Yeah I posted something similar last month. The scam was less sophisticated though i.e. dodgy email requesting payment details to be “ re- confirmed “ but they hadn’t actually hacked the app. 

17 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Yeah, I and a friend almost got scammed by this but luckily Monzo blocked the payment and were aware that this was a common scam.

Apparently this has been around for ages, and personally I find it mind blowing that a company as big as booking.com can have cyber security that is utter dog shit and seemingly can’t be bothered to do anything about it.

3 hours ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Yeah, I and a friend almost got scammed by this but luckily Monzo blocked the payment and were aware that this was a common scam.

Apparently this has been around for ages, and personally I find it mind blowing that a company as big as booking.com can have cyber security that is utter dog shit and seemingly can’t be bothered to do anything about it.

They don’t even own up to it. I knew nothing about the scam at all till the hotel (the real one!) came back and said the booking was fine and it was a scam. Booking..common I had been in touch with, never mentioned any of it at all.

Edited by Jambomo

On 26/02/2024 at 21:46, welshbairn said:

I've had 2. If you don't immediately spot the message as a scam and ignore it, they say there's a problem with your payment, don't reply through booking.com, phone or email the hotel directly to check it out, apparently they have a way of conning the hotel into getting their code for accessing booking.com's messaging service and all the hotel's booking details. Ignore the contact details for reporting a scam below the scam message, that links to the scammers too. It's a bit feeble if booking.com still haven't sorted it out.

H

Yup.  Contact the hotel directly to confirm.  

As a general rule, it’s preferable to book directly with hotels.   Booking.com has issues like this more often than you’d like to think.  

I went in to check my booking.com app for reservations for euros trip and both hotels I’ve got through them have sent DMs stating there has been a phishing scam and not to reply to any msgs from them through the app and contact directly if any issues.

I was unaware there had been a security issue so thanks for making me aware of that 

17 hours ago, Jambomo said:

They don’t even own up to it. I knew nothing about the scam at all till the hotel (the real one!) came back and said the booking was fine and it was a scam. Booking..common I had been in touch with, never mentioned any of it at all.