Dunup v Aberdoon

I’ll add my voice to the cacophony - that’s a penalty every day of the week and twice on a Wednesday night.

Every bit as silly as the one Shaugnessy gave away at Pittodrie.

A rare example of VAR doing the job it was supposed to do - albeit - a bit like myself at work - slower than anyone would like. 

5 minutes ago, Girth said:

Dons vs. DABs will be some end of the season watch. 

Thank you. 

Not for us, it won't be.

I thought we were excellent in possession last night. Our passing in midfield was the best I’ve seen all season, and we really should have taken more of the chances it created (and been out of sight at half time). But I think we were poor out of possession, and let Aberdeen advance from midfield too easily. Mind you, that could have been the game plan, knowing how toothless they are up front.

Nobody had any idea why a penalty was even being checked because nobody seemed to appeal for one. But watching the highlights on Sportscene, it was a great spot - and could have been for either handball or a push. Took far too long to get there, though. 

Very clever penalty from McCowan as well. His last two in off the keeper’s right post. He puts it left. 

A big three points that (if you’ll excuse the expression) makes Sunday a free hit. 

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

I thought we were excellent in possession last night. Our passing in midfield was the best I’ve seen all season, and we really should have taken more of the chances it created (and been out of sight at half time). But I think we were poor out of possession, and let Aberdeen advance from midfield too easily. Mind you, that could have been the game plan, knowing how toothless they are up front.

Nobody had any idea why a penalty was even being checked because nobody seemed to appeal for one. But watching the highlights on Sportscene, it was a great spot - and could have been for either handball or a push. Took far too long to get there, though. 

Very clever penalty from McCowan as well. His last two in off the keeper’s right post. He puts it left. 

A big three points that (if you’ll excuse the expression) makes Sunday a free hit. 

You think we were poor out of possession? I thought we were excellent, lost count how many times we won the ball back. Relentless all over the pitch. Not having a go, just funny how we all can see different things. 

Just now, Liam899 said:

You think we were poor out of possession? I thought we were excellent, lost count how many times we won the ball back. Relentless all over the pitch. Not having a go, just funny how we all can see different things. 

I think we often won it back due to complete ineptitude from Aberdeen rather than our own hard work but of course was a mixture of both.

Some of the passes from defence were genuinely hilarious. Compounded with the freekick they had and played back to Roos almost costing a goal. 

2 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

We did well to win it back when Aberdeen didn’t know what to do with it. But when they did manage to string some passes together, we gave them far too much space and kept backing off until they were into the final third. 

31 minutes ago, The Master said:

We did well to win it back when Aberdeen didn’t know what to do with it. But when they did manage to string some passes together, we gave them far too much space and kept backing off until they were into the final third. 

I must admit I thought we were excellent off the ball. I got the impression that when we didn't have the ball we just got back in to shape and let them have it as Docherty identified they don't have any real plan. 

25 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I find Dundee fans saying 100% a pen quite disingenuous to be honest. but it’s not worth getting into in detail as we lost fair and square. 

I'm still not really convinced by it. No one at the ground was appealing, player or fan. That shouldn't really be the barometer for getting a penalty mind you but it tells you a lot. 

What I would say is the boy that concedes the penalty is very daft for challenging with his arms up like that. He makes a half hearted attempt to jump for an aerial challenge and lazily pushes our player. 

If the game continues on as normal I don't even think anyone picks that up as a point of contention. 

Edited by Pens_Dark

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Not for us, it won't be.

I mean, all joking aside, if it did come to that you guys would win comfortably. 

59 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

I think we often won it back due to complete ineptitude from Aberdeen rather than our own hard work but of course was a mixture of both.

For me at lot of it was Portales' anticipation. Always being in the place where the poor pass is going looks effortless but it rarely is.

39 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I'm still not really convinced by it. No one at the ground was appealing, player or fan. That shouldn't really be the barometer for getting a penalty mind you but it tells you a lot. 

What I would say is the boy that concedes the penalty is very daft for challenging with his arms up like that. He makes a half hearted attempt to jump for an aerial challenge and lazily pushes our player. 

If the game continues on as normal I don't even think anyone picks that up as a point of contention. 

Agree it’s a pathetic attempt at defending from Mackenzie to be honest, who had a poor game all night. But that in itself isn’t a penalty offence.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I find Dundee fans saying 100% a pen quite disingenuous to be honest. but it’s not worth getting into in detail as we lost fair and square. 

Tbh I'd rather be disingenuous than, well,  crap...

Arriving back last night, I watched Sportscene and they were convinced it was a penalty.

I must admit I really struggled with that conclusion - just looked like a whole load of bodies defending a set piece, and yet another player who's arms weren't by his side penguin-style maybe with the aid of gaffer type.

However, Mackenzie does have a tendency to follow-up a decent game with an awful one and/or revert to this headsgone demeanour (eg Hibs LC semi). He also contrives to give away penalties far too often - whether they're justified or not.

As I get older, despite the paucity of our own performance, I can sometimes learn to appreciate the opponents and Dundee looked a really good side last night.  Lots of raw enthusiasm and tenacity, but some real quality in there too in terms of what they did with the ball when they won it back, which they kept doing with ease. Plenty options and overlaps available, whereas our players just ended up being forced to shell it into no man's loan to avoid being caught in possession. Tony Doc did a right job on us there.