Celtic vs Livi

A Sunday Scottish cup tie, most likely a comfortable win but just can’t get super invested.

I’d happily trade the Scottish cup this season if it meant we won the league. 

I’m sure once we’re closer to kick off my interest will pick up, but what’s the general consensus amongst Livi fans?

Is this an unwanted distraction from the battle against relegation or is that already over?

4 hours ago, stressball said:

A Sunday Scottish cup tie, most likely a comfortable win but just can’t get super invested.

I’m sure once we’re closer to kick off my interest will pick up, but what’s the general consensus amongst Livi fans?

Is this an unwanted distraction from the battle against relegation or is that already over?

Avoiding relegation is still being tried for even if hopes are only slim. There's also just trying to create solid base components for next season's team (in the Championship).

This match is great for us due to the financial reward from it. On the pitch, just looking to keep the score respectable and avoid injuries. Probably the tactics will be chosen as a bit of a rehearsal for the league match away to Hibs the following Saturday. So it will be defensive but not as defensive as some recent Livi gameplans at Celtic Park have been.

Edited by Freedom Farter

1 hour ago, Freedom Farter said:

Not a distraction, no, as its a Saturday afternoon game with a week before the next league match so it doesn't get in the way. Avoiding relegation is still being tried for even if hopes are only slim. There's also just trying to create solid base components for next season's team (in the Championship).

This match is great for us due to the financial reward from it. On the pitch, just looking to keep the score respectable and avoid injuries. Probably the tactics will be chosen as a bit of a rehearsal for the league match away to Hibs the following Saturday. So it will be defensive but not as defensive as some recent Livi gameplans at Celtic Park have been.

I’d be quite pleased if your squad show up on the Saturday instead given it’s listed as Sunday.

6 hours ago, stressball said:

Most Livi fans are resigned to relegation at this point. If it was against anyone other than the old firm then it'd be more of a welcome distraction. 

Can't see us scoring never mind winning but stranger things have happened. 

At a minimum hopefully this provides a much needed financial boost to Livi.

I'll say it now,eff off to any rangers fans that come near this thread.

As for the game,we've nowt to lose.

The longer we keep it all square,possibly nick a goal then the pressure will mount on Celtic and Rodgers.

Can't see it happening however.

5 hours ago, Greenlantern said:

Hopefully not the same as last Sunday. 

Hearts are a wee bit better than us, with a striker that scores goal, so i doubt it.

In an alternate universe Livi will have a go at Celtic and at least give them a game, isn't fucking this universe though.

49 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Hearts are a wee bit better than us, with a striker that scores goal, so i doubt it.

In an alternate universe Livi will have a go at Celtic and at least give them a game, isn't fucking this universe though.

Well let’s hope we’re talking about the football on Sunday rather than the decisions. 

Pretty much forgot about this as soon as it got drawn, happily take the split of the gate but it sounds like it's just going towards fighting stupid court cases at this point. Hooray... 

Just get on with it, relegate us and let me enjoy 24/25 Championship/No VAR already

A calculated risk but I think we should be freshening up a bit for this and resting players also. Taylor is our only recognised senior left back now so would quite fancy Scales getting a shot there incase he's needed there later on and give one of the other cb's some game time, preferably Nawrocki if fit for his passing. Would also like to see Kyogo on the wing as well, he's not been pulling up trees through the middle but for all the wingers we have none of them I would classify as certain starters and would like to see him and Idah further forward together.

Edited by gannonball

On 06/03/2024 at 10:45, stressball said:

I hope we destroy them today as canny go that wee rocket Martindale as he’s a wee cream bun,be even better if the cabbage n ribs can do us a turn and beat that mob 🍀

29 minutes ago, wingnut said:

I hope we destroy them today as canny go that wee rocket Martindale as he’s a wee cream bun,be even better if the cabbage n ribs can do us a turn and beat that mob 🍀

ok....gif

Just now, LIVIFOREVER said:

Sean Kelly and McGovern, aw well.

Didn't even look at the rest of the team after I saw McGovern in goals. First shot on target is a goal, at least our defence have been top class this season. 

I expected we'd be less defensive today than you'd normally expect away to Celtic because Martindale will've been wanting to keep the basic shape and gameplan needed in league matches. The line up suggests it'll be a good bit more attacking than I imagined, though.

1 minute ago, Freedom Farter said:

I expected we'd be less defensive today than you'd normally expect away to Celtic because Martindale will've been wanting to keep the basic shape and gameplan needed in league matches. The line up suggests it'll be a good bit more attacking than I imagined, though.

Certainly is with McGovern in goals, and Sean Kelly in the starting line up, like giving them a 2 goal start.