Are the Media Against Your Team? Or Have the Old Firm Lost their Mind?

I'm writing my dissertation on whether Scottish football media should be allowed to be biased or not and would appreciate it if you could take five minutes to fill out this survey. 

I'm trying to get as wide a range of fans from different clubs and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject, cheers.

CLICK HERE to take the survey.

https://qualtricsxmxpcb8gqsr.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0izk2lDIKF8JYJ8 

Hi Darren,

As someone working in the media, the idea that any outlet has an agenda against a certain team always cracks me up. And is universally pedalled by folk who have never set foot in a newsroom - or have rarely spoken to a journalist irl. This isn't a dig at you by the way, just a dig more generally at folk convinced that there's some sort of conspiracy.

It was something that fascinated me when I was at Uni and I did a few assessments on it. One in particular focused on the 'Daily Ranger v Dhaily Rhebel' and how Old Firm fans perceived the Record, which was pretty interesting.

This is my ninth year covering Sons. One of the highlights of my career is when I was accused of having an agenda against the club - who I've supported all my life, who I'm a fourth generation fan of and where I've done God knows how many hours of volunteering from the stream to painting the concourse - by another fan on Facebook.

Anyway, feel free to drop me a PM if you want anything from someone working in the industry. Happy to email you over a few responses if there are any direct questions or theories you want to be put to me.

All the best with the dissertation. 

4 hours ago, Darren Adams said:

I'm writing my dissertation on whether Scottish football media should be allowed to be biased or not and would appreciate it if you could take five minutes to fill out this survey. 

I'm trying to get as wide a range of fans from different clubs and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject, cheers.

CLICK HERE to take the survey.

https://qualtricsxmxpcb8gqsr.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0izk2lDIKF8JYJ8 

It's an academic question because it already IS biased.  For example, in an interesting take on how two wrongs don't make a right The Herald newspaper boasts a 'Rangers Reporter' and a 'Celtic Reporter', and the rest of us can lump it.

Your dissertation should carry a central theme on how with very few exceptions all contemporary media prioritises reader views and clicks, listener numbers and ensuing advertising-driven revenues over providing balanced, informative content.  With Radio Clyde in a league of its own.

I would say we are definitely the most hated team in Scotland, however that is both by the media and opposing fans. I don’t think 1 other team (as a whole) on this thread has much respect for us. Although everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I do think we are very over-hated.

3 hours ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

I would say we are definitely the most hated team in Scotland, however that is both by the media and opposing fans. I don’t think 1 other team (as a whole) on this thread has much respect for us. Although everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I do think we are very over-hated.

I agree 👍

10 hours ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

You're really bad at this WUM thing.

13 hours ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

I would say we are definitely the most hated team in Scotland

I would say that the majority of Scottish football fans don't give a flying f**k about us.

The small number of folk that do care about us are probably split 50/50 between folk that hate us and folk that just like to rip the pish out us - and honestly, you simply must say fair play! More please sir/madam!

Are these surveys not meant to be checked by supervisors before they're issued? Nothing against the OP personally, but every dissertation survey that pops up on here always have issues with questions.

Q: How often do you watch football games live (in-person or on TV)?

A: Always

How can anyone answer this question with 'Always'. It's not asking your preference, it's asking for a definitive answer to a vague question. So, if you've ever watched highlights or a repeat of a game you didn't watch it live so you can't answer Always? Or if you miss a game you intended to watch, does that discount you too?

Q: Where do you primarily find your Scottish football news?

Maybe a little picky here but not listing websites as a valid option is incredible. You mention "News Apps" but plenty of people will still visit a website itself, not use an app. You have an option to enter Other and comment this but it seems an obvious omission.

Q: How often does negative press about alter the way you feel about your team?

Literally just missing words. 

It also seems an odd question to ask how often does negative press affect you rather than how much it affects you.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

7 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Are these surveys not meant to be checked by supervisors before they're issued? Nothing against the OP personally, but every dissertation survey that pops up on here always have issues with questions.

Q: How often do you watch football games live (in-person or on TV)?

A: Always

How can anyone answer this question with 'Always'. It's not asking your preference, it's asking for a definitive answer, and a vague one at that. So, if you've ever watched highlights or a repeat of a game you didn't watch it live so you can't answer Always? Or if you miss a game you intended to watch, does that discount you too?

Q: Where do you primarily find your Scottish football news?

Maybe a little picky here but not listing websites as a valid option is incredible. You mention "News Apps" but plenty of people will still visit a website itself, not use an app. You have an option to enter Other and comment this but it seems an obvious omission.

Q: How often does negative press about alter the way you feel about your team?

Literally just missing words. 

It also seems an odd question to ask how often does negative press effect you rather than how much it effects you.