Are Dundee United and Raith Rovers trying to throw the league?

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Perhaps they are trying to throw it. It would help from an ICT point of view if the next six teams in the league would chuck in the towel as well. Although I suppose that might begin to look a wee bit suspicious.

United not being promoted would have devastating consequences on the finances of the club so no United most certainly wont be trying to throw the league. We are just in a bad run of form with a manager who doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of the players at his disposal. There are clubs whose budgets would struggle to play at a higher level United aren't one of them. United's finance are set up for playing in Premiership something that isn't sustainable beyond 1 season in The Championship. 

3 hours ago, jasperellon said:

Airdrie and Raith are the form teams over the last 6 matches so this thread probably doesn’t make sense. 

You must be new.

Not many of my threads make sense.

4 hours ago, arabdelic said:

United's finance are set up for playing in Premiership something that isn't sustainable beyond 1 season in The Championship. 

You've lost a total of something like £10m in 5(?) years. Like a lot of Scottish clubs, your finances aren't set up to be sustainable no matter what league you're in.

7 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

You've lost a total of something like £10m in 5(?) years. Like a lot of Scottish clubs, your finances aren't set up to be sustainable no matter what league you're in.

The fact that Watt is on an alleged £7k per week blows my mind.

A few others rumoured to be on hefty salaries too.

I looked at their squad at the season start and thought that looks like a mid table SPL side. Certainly better in my mind than Livi, County and St Johnstone.

Either I’m completely wrong or they’re making a complete James Hunt of this division.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Winning the seaside league is great.

Fond memories of Ayr United winning it.

My memories of Ayr winning it are not so great…..

Winning the Seaside league is great, playing in it for the other 35 matches of the season is not so great. 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Winning the seaside league is great.

Fond memories of Ayr United winning it.

I have terrible memories of us blowing it as we couldn’t beat Alloa at home on the last day of the season. When we did eventually win it was by e-mail rather than anything done during an actual game. 

10 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

The fact that Watt is on an alleged £7k per week blows my mind.

A few others rumoured to be on hefty salaries too.

I looked at their squad at the season start and thought that looks like a mid table SPL side. Certainly better in my mind than Livi, County and St Johnstone.

Either I’m completely wrong or they’re making a complete James Hunt of this division.

Some Utd fan on twitter made himself notorious for saying that this Utd team would comfortably get top 6 in the premiership. 

People still make the mistake of thinking that they are a decent side. They're really not and are proving it by making a mess of their promotion challenge. I heard Watt was on a lot, quite considerably less than the figure you're suggesting there. Either way they're paying too much for what he gives the team. 

Just because you have the 'finances' of a Premiership club, doesn't mean you are one. I wonder how many players at Utd would be picked up by a premiership club given the chance - I'd hazard a guess at not many.

You are right to be fair, there isn’t really a seaside league anymore. 
League one only has two sea-side-ish teams. 
This was a proper seaside league with all four Angus clubs, us, East Fife, Stranraer and Dumbarton all being sea-sidey  

image.thumb.jpeg.57eedfbe8441c3438ba2500dd56e8866.jpeg

38 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

You are right to be fair, there isn’t really a seaside league anymore. 
League one only has two sea-side-ish teams. 
This was a proper seaside league with all four Angus clubs, us, East Fife, Stranraer and Dumbarton all being sea-sidey  

image.thumb.jpeg.57eedfbe8441c3438ba2500dd56e8866.jpeg

The fortunes of certain clubs last 5 - 10 years is startling.

Wasn’t long ago that Brechin reached the Championship and now look.

The Championship next season will look a lot like ‘natural order’ has been restored with Falkirk coming up. All league 1 teams will be smaller by comparison than the championship clubs. No diddies like Cove.

9 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

The fortunes of certain clubs last 5 - 10 years is startling.

Wasn’t long ago that Brechin reached the Championship and now look.

The Championship next season will look a lot like ‘natural order’ has been restored with Falkirk coming up. All league 1 teams will be smaller by comparison than the championship clubs. No diddies like Cove.

Yeah, it'll be getting back to what it was like when I started watching football, i.e. the natural and correct order of things.   I suppose all three of the teams currently in the hunt for the playoffs to get into this division would be considered smaller clubs than any of Inverness, Ayr or Morton, but there's no guarantee they will replace any of those teams.

Edit: You could make the case that Accies are a bigger club than Ayr or Morton inasmuch as they've been in the top tier recently, but they certainly don't feel like a bigger club than them, really.

Edited by A Diamond For Me

22 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Not when Montrose beat ICT in the playoffs [/wishful thinking].

32 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

You could make the case that Accies are a bigger club than Ayr or Morton inasmuch as they've been in the top tier recently, but they certainly don't feel like a bigger club than them, really.

Teams like Ayr and Morton in terms of support have another gear or two they could go. We’ve doubled our support this season and now are getting just under 4k for run of the mill home fixtures. Hamilton by way of support and infrastructure always looked to me that they were baws oot when in the top league, albeit they did well for a couple of seasons.

Livi is another even more extreme example. I think many expect them to fully implode once relegated and they can’t bank 4 sold out Sevco visits plus anywhere near the revenue Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen would bring.

Every dog gets their day or moment in the sun as they say.