Motherwell v St. Mirren

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Let’s just end all today’s Scottish top flight fitba’ games right now. Stop. Right. Now. 

Thank you.

No kunt at the SPFL listening to me. Again. Fcuk um’. 

Point apiece was definitely fair though I thought we were marginally the poorer in a shite game. Mainly because our defence looked an open door every time St Mirren got in the vicinity of it never mind pushed.

Earlier in the season I think we'd have lost that but while you could argue that means progress, i think we're still basically the same - plenty of nearly good attacks just lacking the final ball and a debacle at the back.

I think instead the difference is St Mirren would have punished us before but have regressed a little - early on they knew they weren't going down so played with nothing to lose, now they looked very much like a team aware they'd something to defend.

I hope they settle down and hold onto fifth, and I think they will if it's Dundee who join them. Hibs seem on form though and if they can sneak over the line into sixth it could get nervous indeed. 

Anyway, good luck and see you next season. Hopefully!

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So, is it glass half-full or glass half-empty now that the dust has settled ?

Surely still half full. 2pts off fourth and a point to guarantee top 6 although I suspect we will be there regardless. Dundee finishing top 6 will be interesting as we will surely be due 3 home games post split. No doubt we will get shafted if it comes to that.

5 hours ago, FTOF said:

Or the Saturday before............:rolleyes:

Difficult game today. Motherwell definitely have what it takes to produce a strong performance. Depends which versions of both teams turn up today.

Sadly due to our pathetic capitulation against Kilmarnock, this is a game we really need to win.

I don't see that happening, unless we pick our best XI.

I would say we did not pick our best XI to start the game, or finish the game. 

As per most games with us, good for half the game and poor for the other half. 

Haliday was poor today. So were most of our players tbh . Struggling to make simple passes. Gent was our best player by far , looked dangerous every time he got the ball.  Which wasn't often enough .

Pretty crappy game all round.A draw probably a fair result.

Annoying to squander a lead again. We were really sloppy in possession... lost count of how many times we dawdled on the ball when a pass was on. Looks like we're on course to limp over the line again in the race for top 6.

Awful game of football , no idea how St.Mirren couldn't hold out for all 3 point against a rank awful home team that couldn't even do the basics.

Just want this season over, been utter shite.

Yet another mental Kettlewell lineup. Back 3 all right footers,, genius stuff. Despite that thought O'Donnell had an excellent game.

Edited by Dosser1886

Conceding a cheap goal from a set piece. Equalising to draw at home. Only one of the defence finishing the game in the position he started it. I think I've seen this film before.

As has been mentioned, Gent played some fantastic crosses all afternoon. I'm loathe to criticise Bair when he's been so good for us, especially on an afternoon where he's scored another vital goal, but surely we should be working on him (and others) being in the right place to capitalise on these. The one where Gogic kicked fresh air was particularly frustrating.

All in all I was pleased to escape that game with a draw if I'm honest. Even game but our slackness gifted them the better chances.

2 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Yet another mental Kettlewell lineup. Back 3 all right footers, all more than  a bit shit, genius stuff.

I could be revisionist after how the game went, but today I looked at that lineup and agreed with it entirely (on the assumption Miller wasn't fit to start).

The only way the back three could have had a left footer in it would have been Blaney, who I've found to be less than convincing. Casey played on the left for all of his run of good games last season, where we played three right footers.

McGinn has done well previously in the middle of a back three for me and did lots of parts of it well today (I don't think the concession of the corner was anything to do with where he was playing, just a brain fart). Where he did have a bit of a mismatch was Mandron's physicality.

What's more of a concern to me is that we still don't know our best back five going into April, as well as the wholesale changes made to defence during every game. However, you do have to caveat that with the fact that has there not been the changes, would SOD have been in place for his clever assist which ultimately won us a point?

I think we just about deserved a draw but I never saw a goal for us coming to be honest. Gent looked dangerous down the left but he’s a frustrating player at times. We couldn’t get Spittal, Vale or Bair involved enough in the game and the Saints keeper didn’t exactly have that much to do. 

Every time St Mirren chucked the ball in the box they had players unmarked. It’s as if we don’t practise defending in training. Bloody learn from it Motherwell. I don’t know why the St Mirren rebound from the free kick that hit the bar was headed with so much power? The odds of the ball hitting the bar twice in a row like that must be long.

That was the worst we’ve played in the league against them this season and with County and ST J losing I’ll take a point. We played far worse in the league cup game in Paisley just for the record. 

ETA it’s been a long long time since we scored from a throw in. 

Edited by Gianfranco
Autocorrect is a bawbag.

Something I thought was very odd was the way we started pretty brightly- after about 10 minutes I thought we'd win comfortably- and then seemed to remember that we'd had two weeks off and suddenly the passes became slacker and everybody looked a bit off the pace. 

I'm not saying Kettlewell is blameless but I think central defence right now is more of a personnel issue than a tactical one. I like Casey, Bevis, SOD and McGinn individually but hopefully next season we're only playing at most two of them at any given time. Tbf I was amazed Bevis didn't give away a penalty at any point in that second half as there were a few situations where that's the usual outcome.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Don't think we actually did pay that for McMenamin

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

The fee paid for McMenamin was nowhere near £250K.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Half that.

Fair enough. Still daylight robbery.