Bulgaria

So it looks as though I will be heading to Bulgaria soon.  Anyone ever been?  Any tips or suggestions of things to eat/drink and places to go?

I promise I won't buy a horse

You'll get a hint of how ancient I am when I say the only time I was in Bulgaria was before the iron curtain came down, crossing through on route to Turkey, and my main memory is of delicious yoghurt that they sold in plastic bags, and horse meat at a border restaurant that was dry and chewy, and cafes in Sofia where you had to stand in 3 different queues to get a cup of tea and a cake. Just got this link in an email though from a travel guide firm that I've used before, the most knowledgeable I think on Eastern Europe especially, which should be more helpful.

https://www.inyourpocket.com/sofia/bulgarian-cuisine-must-try-traditional-dishes_73626f?utm_campaign=all-things-spring-feb-2024&utm_medium=email&utm_source=UABnewsletter 

The city guides are free to download.

https://www.inyourpocket.com/data/download/sofia

• 3 weeks later...

I've been in Bulgaria for a little over two days and this country is pretty amazing.  Sofia is absolutely stunning while the town we are in now, Mezdra is much more Balkan but still pretty cool. Also the food is phenomenal (and not expensive!). 

PXL_20240414_113836832.jpg

PXL_20240414_093226848.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Heading back to Bulgaria in a couple of weeks, we will have 10 days there, most of them in Sofia but are planning to take a two day side trip to Plovdiv.  Trying to figure whether or not taking a Bus or Train is the best option, Bulgarian trains appear to be cheaper and slower but the Busses are confusing as there appear to be a ton of different companies that run that route so I don't know which company is best

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Heading back to Bulgaria in a couple of weeks, we will have 10 days there, most of them in Sofia but are planning to take a two day side trip to Plovdiv.  Trying to figure whether or not taking a Bus or Train is the best option, Bulgarian trains appear to be cheaper and slower but the Busses are confusing as there appear to be a ton of different companies that run that route so I don't know which company is bes

Don't know the route but trains often go through wilder scenery you won't see from the road, so I'd get the train out and sort out the bus back in Plavdiv if it's not worth the slower journey.

13 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

I visted Bulgaria on my way backpacking Macedonia, Albania and Greece last year.  I forgot how a good time I had.  It is a pretty place when you take the time to look around.

20230904_133051.jpg

20230904_114858.jpg

20230903_173854.jpg

20230903_125806.jpg

Looks fantastic but the folk in the front of the 1st photo look tiny compared to the 2 guys in the front!

A Father Ted moment, I assume! 

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to get the train to Plovdiv tomorrow, may be a bit slower but at 44 Leva (19GBP) for two people round trip it's a pretty good price. Got in to Sofia yesterday but didn't do much due to jetlag but feeling good today.  Took a few photos of Alexander Nevski cathedral this morning (they don't allow photos inside). 

PXL_20240906_063256041.jpg

PXL_20240906_064327576.jpg

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Decided to get the train to Plovdiv tomorrow, may be a bit slower but at 44 Leva (19GBP) for two people round trip it's a pretty good price. Got in to Sofia yesterday but didn't do much due to jetlag but feeling good today.  Took a few photos of Alexander Nevski cathedral this morning (they don't allow photos inside). 

Nice pics - I bet you were pissed off at that woman walking in front of the photo, though!

7 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Plovdiv is fantastic, was there over a decade ago and must go back some time.

The older part of the town is the jewel, up a hill from memory where the spectacular Roman amphitheatre is.

Even the main part of the city is great with lots of Roman remains. Good place for wandering and great cafe culture and decent restaurants.

7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Nice pics - I bet you were pissed off at that woman walking in front of the photo, though!

Eh, not really.  It's a public holiday today so only having one person walking by was a decent result.  I'm consoling myself with a beer at Vitamin B craft beer bar

PXL_20240906_180645522.jpg

1 hour ago, Cowdenleith said:

Plovdiv is fantastic, was there over a decade ago and must go back some time.

The older part of the town is the jewel, up a hill from memory where the spectacular Roman amphitheatre is.

Even the main part of the city is great with lots of Roman remains. Good place for wandering and great cafe culture and decent restaurants.

We are staying at a place in the old town, really looking forward to it

As much as Ryanair and Easyjet operating ways can be shite, the places in Europe that have now been "discovered" by P&Brs has to be applauded.  It used to be that if you went to the  Cost del Sol you were seen as well travelled.

Mind you, wee things such as the the break up of Communism, the fall of the Berlin Wall and that there has been no WIII in Europe might have helped a little. 😁

3 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

It appears as though Northern Ireland are playing against Bulgaria in Plovdiv this weekend judging by the number of Northern Ireland shirts on this train

Correct, 7pm tomorrow Plovdiv time, Stadion Hristo Botev.