Vets - KERCHING !!!

Posted (edited)

Tied in with vets fees is the cost of pet insurance. We had a cairn terrier that we eventually had to get put to sleep just under 2 years ago. It had Cushing's disease and the tablets for that were over £200 per month. Luckily we had insurance, but surprise surprise that cost kept rising every year to match the cost of the drugs, so by the end it was over £200 per month. Just after we had the dog put to sleep and cancelled the insurance, we got a letter from them saying the cover for the treatment was about to stop as we had reached the treatment limit, which I think was about £8000.

Every year I would look at the cost of the treatment verses the cost of the insurance and there was no real cost benefit either way between keeping or stopping the insurance, but I always kept the insurance in case anything else happened that would need to be paid for. But once the cover for cushing's ended it would have been a no brainer, stop the insurance.

Some people will rightly ask why pay out that amount and say just get rid of the dog. But you treat the dog, and probably any pet, as part of the family and you will do whatever you need to do to make sure it is in good health. It can be difficult to explain logically or justify to people, but most pet owners will know what I mean.

Edited by Soapy FFC