Vets - KERCHING !!!

Eta: I genuinely searched "the dog has to die Alan Partridge" to find that.  In my head it was from AP rather than RM.

Edited by Hedgecutter

The vet we'd been using changed hands without us initially realising, it was only when I queried a sudden jump in follow-up appointment prices that we noticed (follow-up appointments had previously been free of charge but became £40 - £60)

They'd also removed a 10% workplace related discount that we had in place.

We still use them because we really rate one particular vet but we certainly use them less often and follow-up appointments are totally oot the windy - the robbing c'nts.

Edited by Ned Nederlander

23 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Don't become a hedge fund manager. Don't go mining for cryptocurrency. Don't become a saturation diver with undersea welding skills.

Become an owner of a veterinary practice.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/06/vet-who-really-profits-from-poorly-pets

Of the big six players listed, at least three were negligible a decade ago.

Private Equity buy and build businesses have consolidated what must be at least 2000 practices between them in that time. 

It might be that there's something to the efficient markets theory and that oligopolists are exploiting market power to act anti-competitively. 

There might also be a generation shift between vocational community based vets and their kids who want to cash in the cow fiddling business in boring-on-the-wold to be able to buy a house. 

Apart from livestock and working animals, this is essentially discretionary luxury spend though. That's why it's been so attractive to investors. It's much easier to squeeze money out of pet owners than out of local councils or the NHS dental budget. 

Incidentally care homes (councils) and Dentists have also been massively consolidated by private equity. The price you'd get for selling one is lower than a vet for that exact reason. So supply and quality are hit, compared to proper public provision. 

All of this should provide a pretty good indication of how increasing market access to the NHS will go. 

On 06/04/2024 at 11:39, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Tbf, idiots who will happily traipse after an animal, picking up it's shite and then walking about it with it their pocket are absolutely ripe for scamming.

I own dogs and know a lot of people who do. None of them walk about with shite in their pockets. That would be fucking weird.

My missus asked me to take out cat to the vet after she noticed he was not putting pressure on one of his paws for a period.

Took him to the vet, where the wee b*****d suddenly decided he was as right as rain once he got out the carrier. Vet told me he was overweight and charged me £50.

I was fuming with the fat f**k... and the fat cat.

14 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

£900 to look after a rabbit overnight? No wonder its not well if they're feeding it wonga.

Illustration of a hand holding out a £50 note to rabbit that seems to be nibbling it, against pink background

I could look after it and have it ready for proper use in 75-90mins, 

Will only charge you £45.00, do you want it back with boiled or roast potatoes and veg?

On 09/04/2024 at 03:02, Ludo*1 said:

My missus asked me to take out cat to the vet after she noticed he was not putting pressure on one of his paws for a period.

Took him to the vet, where the wee b*****d suddenly decided he was as right as rain once he got out the carrier. Vet told me he was overweight and charged me £50.

Same here - one of our cats limped home like it had just been hit by a car, we phoned the vets in a panic and were rushed through a busy waiting room like a scene from casualty

Cat emerged from the carry case like it was wondering what all the fuss was about - no sign of a feckin limp

I don't remember if we were charged for that visit but I'm sure we would with these new c'nto owners.

As an aside - our dog is insured but our cats aren't, not entirely sure why we did/didn't!

Can't help but think that folk are in for a huge surprise when private healthcare becomes the norm in the UK!

You'll also really enjoy the bill for getting a solicitor to make a phone call/get their secretary to print out a letter template and stick it in the post.

On 09/04/2024 at 03:02, Ludo*1 said:

Aye, we had a cat who was great for this - performative limping for attention. As soon as it got cuddled/fed/was ignored for more than a few minutes, the limp disappeared. I've got one the now who will wander about with one eye closed, only to be absolutely fine as soon as you pick her up.

Manipulative b*****ds, the lot of them.