3 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Did we never beat his Ayr side in the Championship?

Nope. They absolutely had our number that season. Beat us 3-0 at home and 2-1 away. And we drew 2-2 at home (after being 2-0 up against 10 men with 88 minutes played) and 4-4 away (after going behind 3 times and having 10 men). They then got relegated, played us again in the Betfred Cup a few months later and won 3-1.

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Nope. They absolutely had our number that season. Beat us 3-0 at home and 2-1 away. And we drew 2-2 at home (after being 2-0 up against 10 men with 88 minutes played) and 4-4 away (after going behind 3 times and having 10 men). They then got relegated, played us again in the Betfred Cup a few months later and won 3-1.

Thats mad! I assumed we must have beaten them at least once in the season they went down.

13 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That was a largely atrocious spectacle. But we deserved to win, and keeping a clean sheet in those circumstances is no easy feat. So fair play to the guys for that.

It's pretty pointless to read a great deal into the game. But I'm glad that we got over the line with three points to keep this decent run going, and there is a real positivity around the place at the moment. I don't think I've ever seen us beat a McCall team before, so that's a nice added bonus.

On the pitch there wasn't a great deal to talk about. Cian Newbury had another good game, neat and tidy in possession and winning plenty of second balls. Finlay Gray and Blair Malcolm both toiled hard and the 'win the midfield, win the game' mantra was proved correct.

Mark Durnan, obviously, is a huge player for us. And he was superb at the back again. It's not just how good he is at defending, it's how much of a leader he is. Barking out orders, demanding things from his teammates. A real standout. This will attract Stenny fans no doubt, but I think he's a better player than Gregor Buchanan. Buchanan has had a superb season (just as he did last year) but if you asked me a straight up if I would swap Durnan for Buchanan I wouldn't. 

Jinky's goal was a superb effort. And all game you felt he had a wee bit of match winning magic in him. Both teams were probably guilty of not shooting enough in the conditions. He was the exception. He's came onto a game recently. Since East Fife he's been really impressive and I think he'd benefitting from starting a run of games for the first time all season.

Having the playoffs secured hopefully means we can now rest a few (and wrap a few in cotton wool) until May. Albeit whilst still hopefully keeping the momentum going. I suspect we'll change things a fair bit for Stranraer next week - not what Clyde fans will want me to say.

I've said since they appointed McCall that Clyde will be fine. Today I actually started to doubt that. I can't put my finger on it, but I didn't get a good vibe from that Clyde team at all.

You can't really judge a side in those conditions. But they didn't look like a side scrapping for their lives. And they didn't really look like a side playing for their manager.

I think they have some excellent players. Lee Hamilton and Jordan Allan especially. But the whole package today just didn't look great. A few players looked like they didn't fancy it, I didn't like McCall hooking Kabia and Rennie at half-time (well I did. But I wouldn't as a Clyde fan) and I think they played a very risky game by attempting to sneak a 0-0 in the second-half. One which, ultimately, backfired.

Even in the first-half they didn't do anywhere near enough with the wind. Corners and free-kicks were basically the only time they looked dangerous. Save for Ray Grant hitting the post with a looping volley. They played us off the park and deservedly won at NDP a few months back. Today? Meh. I didn't see a lot. 

No doubt the best team won. Clyde have generally been fine at home since McCall came in but in the main poor in every away game bar the Stenny one obviously. Dumbarton are decent for this level and much better than Stranraer. Which brings me to next week.  Jan genuine question do you think Dumbarton will  be up for this now you have got the playoffs secured ?  The recent 5 0 defeat comes to mind . What happened that night ? Was it just a freak result ? 

1 minute ago, Shawfield78 said:

No doubt the best team won. Clyde have generally been fine at home since McCall came in but in the main poor in every away game bar the Stenny one obviously. Dumbarton are decent for this level and much better than Stranraer. Which brings me to next week.  Jan genuine question do you think Dumbarton will  be up for this now you have got the playoffs secured ?  The recent 5 0 defeat comes to mind . What happened that night ? Was it just a freak result ? 

The 5-0 scoreline was maybe a freak. But we weren't in good form and a result like that had been coming at the time. If we'd lost 3-0 that night I don't think that would've been much of a surprise. And Stranraer deserved a very comfortable three points.

We've turned a corner since then. No doubt about that. Mainly because Mark Durnan is back. But we've won (iirc) nine games at Stair Park in our history. And Faz will 100% be rotating the squad between now and the end of the season. Tony Wallace has played every single game, is 33 now and is a huge player for us. So he'll drop to the bench for a spell I reckon. Personally I wouldn't be risking Michael Ruth from the start and I'd probably be tempted to give Finlay Gray a breather at some point over the next few weeks.

On the more positive side from a Clyde point-of-view, Kalvin Orsi has been struggling to for gametime basically all season because of injury. But could be a massive player for us in the playoffs. So I'd imagine he'll get a start if he's fit; and it'll maybe be a chance for guys like James Graham, Marc Kelly and Aaron Healy to show what they can do. None of them have had so much as a sniff for about a month now, so you'd like to think they'd be keen to grab a chance.

Never ever put your faith in Sons getting a result at Stair Park though.

I honestly think some refs would have abandoned that game yesterday.  There was a bizarre incident in the first half when Crighton (I think) hoofed the ball straight forward and it slowly arced right across to Lennon at left-back like a prime Glenn Hoddle pass 😄😄😄

I'm expecting my under 13s to play out from the back at the Tontine this afternoon. If they can do it I don't understand how semi professional footballers can't. This instruction comes from the side of the pitch, not the goalie and the centre backs. We work on it at training and is carried out at the weekend. 

At any level punting it long usually results in you losing the ball quickly.

The most annoying thing as you say ScottR96 is that neither Clyde or Dumbarton defences were willing to take the ball on the floor…because if they had lost it, then a thundering wind assisted shot would have been coming right back..pitch was playable but how these teams played was shocking. Referee probably thought that if that’s how the are playing to the conditions then it’s their choice. Fuckin woefull stuff yesterday even for neutrals…

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The 5-0 scoreline was maybe a freak. But we weren't in good form and a result like that had been coming at the time. If we'd lost 3-0 that night I don't think that would've been much of a surprise. And Stranraer deserved a very comfortable three points.

We've turned a corner since then. No doubt about that. Mainly because Mark Durnan is back. But we've won (iirc) nine games at Stair Park in our history. And Faz will 100% be rotating the squad between now and the end of the season. Tony Wallace has played every single game, is 33 now and is a huge player for us. So he'll drop to the bench for a spell I reckon. Personally I wouldn't be risking Michael Ruth from the start and I'd probably be tempted to give Finlay Gray a breather at some point over the next few weeks.

On the more positive side from a Clyde point-of-view, Kalvin Orsi has been struggling to for gametime basically all season because of injury. But could be a massive player for us in the playoffs. So I'd imagine he'll get a start if he's fit; and it'll maybe be a chance for guys like James Graham, Marc Kelly and Aaron Healy to show what they can do. None of them have had so much as a sniff for about a month now, so you'd like to think they'd be keen to grab a chance.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I just hope they are fully committed but we can't nor shouldn't rely on others.  From what I have seen but you will know more than me Dumbarton are better than Stranraer in nearly every department but football doesn't work that way unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'd honestly forgotten about him.

Credit to Farrell for really bringing out a good run of form when it mattered. 4 wins in the last 5, with the other being a draw is excellent. 6 wins and a draw in the last 9, too. Given the game prior to that was the 2-0 defeat against Clyde, where we looked absolutely done, it's been a quietly remarkable turnaround. The Stranraer away game was extremely disappointing, but other than that, we've looked pretty good. This will easily be the best form we've gone into the playoffs in under him, with a squad that has a bit of depth and can hopefully stay injury free. The other sides around us look underwhelming and I think we're very capable of winning the playoffs. If it wasn't for the trauma of the last two seasons, I'd be pretty confident that we'll do it. A 6-0 first leg defeat up at Peterhead is written in the stars, isn't it?

Edited by FifeSons

19 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That was a largely atrocious spectacle. But we deserved to win, and keeping a clean sheet in those circumstances is no easy feat. So fair play to the guys for that.

It's pretty pointless to read a great deal into the game. But I'm glad that we got over the line with three points to keep this decent run going, and there is a real positivity around the place at the moment. I don't think I've ever seen us beat a McCall team before, so that's a nice added bonus.

On the pitch there wasn't a great deal to talk about. Cian Newbury had another good game, neat and tidy in possession and winning plenty of second balls. Finlay Gray and Blair Malcolm both toiled hard and the 'win the midfield, win the game' mantra was proved correct.

Mark Durnan, obviously, is a huge player for us. And he was superb at the back again. It's not just how good he is at defending, it's how much of a leader he is. Barking out orders, demanding things from his teammates. A real standout. This will attract Stenny fans no doubt, but I think he's a better player than Gregor Buchanan. Buchanan has had a superb season (just as he did last year) but if you asked me a straight up if I would swap Durnan for Buchanan I wouldn't. 

Jinky's goal was a superb effort. And all game you felt he had a wee bit of match winning magic in him. Both teams were probably guilty of not shooting enough in the conditions. He was the exception. He's came onto a game recently. Since East Fife he's been really impressive and I think he'd benefitting from starting a run of games for the first time all season.

Having the playoffs secured hopefully means we can now rest a few (and wrap a few in cotton wool) until May. Albeit whilst still hopefully keeping the momentum going. I suspect we'll change things a fair bit for Stranraer next week - not what Clyde fans will want me to say.

I've said since they appointed McCall that Clyde will be fine. Today I actually started to doubt that. I can't put my finger on it, but I didn't get a good vibe from that Clyde team at all.

You can't really judge a side in those conditions. But they didn't look like a side scrapping for their lives. And they didn't really look like a side playing for their manager.

I think they have some excellent players. Lee Hamilton and Jordan Allan especially. But the whole package today just didn't look great. A few players looked like they didn't fancy it, I didn't like McCall hooking Kabia and Rennie at half-time (well I did. But I wouldn't as a Clyde fan) and I think they played a very risky game by attempting to sneak a 0-0 in the second-half. One which, ultimately, backfired.

Even in the first-half they didn't do anywhere near enough with the wind. Corners and free-kicks were basically the only time they looked dangerous. Save for Ray Grant hitting the post with a looping volley. They played us off the park and deservedly won at NDP a few months back. Today? Meh. I didn't see a lot. 

Im fine with all of the above...

In particular 70/80% of our players attitude to our league position very concerning...

Done hard part last week. Scoring late on as oppose to holding on all game and i dont know why but i was more comfortable goin into yday fixture than i would be away to Elgin...

Severely lacking a few more Lee Hamilton heart on sleeve players which isnt what we need now or potentially play offs in May...

Other teams have went on a run or continuing on a good run, Were so up and down its unreal and cant put my finger on it either and no sure mccall knows either...

Yer Mithers Pride🇾🇪