🔴🔵 The Caley v Raith Rovers 🔵🔵

Now that 2nd has been gelled, and the title is about as likely as the local bigot walkers going for their 12th July jaunt in Celtic tops, I dunno what to make of this tie.

Do we use it and the last two as glorified friendlies, rest the favourites and play the likes of Corr and McGill from the off?
Or do we go for it, and solidify the hoodoo being broken?

If we play like we have the last 3 games we wont be coming from here with the 3 points thats for sure.  We need to up the tempo, up our game and get our heads raised again to do so.

Mon Rovers!

2 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

We have the second best defensive record in this league and I don't think the Raith Rovers fans are giving us enough credit for that.

Going to hazard a guess you didn't play over half your season playing a centre midfielder as a centre back?

I don’t think we’re giving enough credit to Inverness for having the second best defensive record in the league but yet still managing to be only 2 points clear of the relegation play-offs. 

That’s some achievement, most clubs would at least be comfortably mid-table with a defensive record as impressive as that. 

3 hours ago, stevoraith said:

I don’t think we’re giving enough credit to Inverness for having the second best defensive record in the league but yet still managing to be only 2 points clear of the relegation play-offs. 

That’s some achievement, most clubs would at least be comfortably mid-table with a defensive record as impressive as that. 

It really is.  Only Arbroath have scored fewer goals, albeit only three fewer and they are 15 points behind us.

Every single one of our defeats in the league this season, bar the 2-0 loss to Airdrie in January, has been by a single goal.  Only Morton have had more 0-0 draws (five to our four, Queens Park have also had four).

If you look at almost every other league, teams who have a similar defensive record to us are usually challanging at the top of the league - in the Premiership only the top four have defensive records as good, in our league only the top team, in League One and Two only the top two.

It's a testament to how utterly toothless we have been all season, completely lacking in goal threat.  

56 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Is it bad to want Raith to win?

I feel dirty

If it makes you feel any better, we want you to win too.....

The title's gone so it doesn't make any difference but it would be funny to see United fans start to worry a little.

Our defence is pretty good to be fair.  The likes of Boyes, Ujdur and Carragher would walk into the majority of sides starting 11 with the cigars out telling their incumbents to 'fuck off to the West of Scotland League where you belong you utter virgin'.  We just can't score in a barrel of vaginas.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

It really is.  Only Arbroath have scored fewer goals, albeit only three fewer and they are 15 points behind us.

Every single one of our defeats in the league this season, bar the 2-0 loss to Airdrie in January, has been by a single goal.  Only Morton have had more 0-0 draws (five to our four, Queens Park have also had four).

If you look at almost every other league, teams who have a similar defensive record to us are usually challanging at the top of the league - in the Premiership only the top four have defensive records as good, in our league only the top team, in League One and Two only the top two.

It's a testament to how utterly toothless we have been all season, completely lacking in goal threat.  

Basically opposite to us, with 99% of our league wins decided by a single goal. 🤣 Our defensive record is one of the poorest though. Funny old game.

3 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Basically opposite to us, with 99% of our league wins decided by a single goal. 🤣 Our defensive record is one of the poorest though. Funny old game.

Funnily enough, it actually isn't.  Only United, ICT and Airdrie have conceded fewer goals than Rovers (Airdrie 4 fewer and ICT 5 - United are miles ahead).  Morton have conceded the same and everyone else is worse.  

12 hours ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

We have the second best defensive record in this league and I don't think the Raith Rovers fans are giving us enough credit for that.

I'll drop you off one of the medals we won at Tannadice back in December if it helps

1 hour ago, AllanJM said:

Funnily enough, it actually isn't.  Only United, ICT and Airdrie have conceded fewer goals than Rovers (Airdrie 4 fewer and ICT 5 - United are miles ahead).  Morton have conceded the same and everyone else is worse.  

Was thinking about this earlier. We've managed 5 clean sheets in the last 10 games and 3 0-0 draws over the same period, which is a really decent return. James Brown coming in, plus Watson and Matthews coming back, has really shored up the defence.

The downside, however, is that we are creating a lot less going forwards and scoring far fewer goals...

1 hour ago, AllanJM said:

Ah yeah, I suppose those recent clean sheets have propelled us up a fair bit. Prior to those games, I’m sure we were like joint bottom for goals conceded. 

1 hour ago, Kuma Power said:

Was thinking about this earlier. We've managed 5 clean sheets in the last 10 games and 3 0-0 draws over the same period, which is a really decent return. James Brown coming in, plus Watson and Matthews coming back, has really shored up the defence.

The downside, however, is that we are creating a lot less going forwards and scoring far fewer goals...

Yeah, I think we need to accept that one comes with the other in this league (United obviously the big exception to this but that should always be the case with their budget).

To be fair though, I would absolutely bite your hand off right now for four 1-0 Rovers wins in the play-offs.  In fact I'd be happy with two 1-0 wins and two 0-0 draws.

I'm sure the TV audiences would prefer 4 high scoring thrillers (well 6 really but I only care about the last 4) but I'm not sure my heart could take that...... 

I had optimistically booked a half day from work for this a few months ago. Will not be going now, and unlikely to bother with the Morton game either. Might saunter along to the Arbroath game since it’s at home. We could do with building some momentum for the play offs but realistically this is a dead rubber for us. 1-0 Inverness. 

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I had optimistically booked a half day from work for this a few months ago. Will not be going now, and unlikely to bother with the Morton game either. Might saunter along to the Arbroath game since it’s at home. We could do with building some momentum for the play offs but realistically this is a dead rubber for us. 1-0 Inverness. 

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

Was going to go to this but spending around £100 for a game that's on the tv, and giving myself a 3 hour drive home down the A9 at that time of night, seems less worth it now.  

Was always going to struggle with the Morton game as I get back from Benidorm that afternoon.  Don't get me wrong, my flight lands at Glasgow at 2:30 so I would've been abandoning the rest of them at the airport to leg it to Cappielow for the second half if there was more riding on it.

Absolutely going to the Arbroath game though and will be at all 4 (hopefully) of the playoff games.