Clyde -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 20 April 2024)

Howie was terrifying every time he touched the ball. Surely Sula or Dunachie is better than that. Whatever McColl sees in Rennie is still a total mystery and much the same could be said of Ballantyne. But now we know why McGinn isn't a starter but does well as a late sub.  Even Ross Lyon looks better, if only he could understand the other guys in red shirts are on his team.

I have the fear

Two lovely goals but we are a team in a relegation scrap and you wouldn't trust many of those starters in those sort of matches. Hamilton, Cuddihy, Allan. Maybe Howie at a push. Such a soft team. Reminds me of the Forfar game where we led and had 3 points there for the taking but we just can't dig in for a clean sheet.

We concede too many goals at set pieces but our record at scoring from them since McNiff left must be the worst in the country. With no exaggeration at all, it must be well into single figures.

It's been blatantly obvious since January that Grant/Ballantyne as a pairing is too lightweight. It benefitted us hugely to have Leitch get injured and force us to move Cuddihy into the middle. Leslie takes a bit of credit as well.

I just want this season over. Not finding much fun at the football right now.

12 minutes ago, David W said:

I just want this season over. Not finding much fun at the football right now.

Right now? I haven't found much fun at the football for about 3 years and even then it was mostly fleeting. It's a minor miracle we have any fans left. 

Edited by RutherGlen

1 minute ago, RutherGlen said:

Right now? I haven't found much fun at the football for about 3 years and even then it was mostly fleeting. It's a minor miracle we have any fans left. 

Glencairn are on a good run.

Although we don't necessarily need to win next week if Stranraer get spanked I just can't see us getting anything out of the Elgin game so in that sense, yes...it's a must win for me. The first of the season!

10 minutes ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

That was a sore one. We are now relying on a game away at Elgin to cement our place in the Scottish pyramid. Thank you Duffy and Thomson ya bunch of imposters.

Probably getting ahead of yourself there. It's hardly inconceivable that Clyde lose and Stranraer win next week and the Elgin game will be an irrelevance.

I fancy Stranraer to win their last two games against two teams with nothing to play for.

Good luck to The Bully Wee. 

Tbh the trip up here may not be as jeapardous as it may have been now we are safe. Our squad is wafer thin at the moment and can’t imagine any players carrying knocks will be risked. We had 4 substitutes today - at home!!

Edited by Briggsy's Ghost

3 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Probably getting ahead of yourself there. It's hardly inconceivable that Clyde lose and Stranraer win next week and the Elgin game will be an irrelevance.

I fancy Stranraer to win their last two games against two teams with nothing to play for.

You could be right, however Stranraer haven't won any of their last 7, so seems unlikely they will win their last 2.

However I have no confidence that we will avoid bottom spot, for me we had to win today.

6 hours ago, Replays said:

What a pathetic lot :lol:

Spot on absolutely shite if you were a neutral you could be forgiven for wondering if our lives depended on it.  Until 2 1 down the lack of urgency at best was alarming . So many misplaced passes under no pressure whatsoever another goal lost from a corner the second a misplaced pass as is the norm. Luckily Stenny didn't seem that bothered.  

18 minutes ago, macclyde+ said:

You could be right, however Stranraer haven't won any of their last 7, so seems unlikely they will win their last 2.

However I have no confidence that we will avoid bottom spot, for me we had to win today.

I agree that Stranraer are very unlikely to win both their remaining games. If we assume that to be the case then today wasn't a must win. In all honesty, of the three remaining fixtures I thought the Stenny game was the least likely of the three for us to pick up points. They're league winners for a reason. 

Probably just blind hope more than anything but I still believe this team are capable of winning the remaining two games which should be enough given our shared theory on Stranraer.

Edited by RutherGlen

2 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

I agree that Stranraer are very unlikely to win both their remaining games. If we assume that to be the case then today wasn't a must win and in all honesty, of the three remaining fixtures I thought the Stenny games was the least likely of he three for us to pick up points. They're league winners for a reason. 

Probably just blind hope more than anything but I still believe this team are capable of winning the remaining two games which should be enough given both our shared theory on Stranraer.

Based on what exactly. If you can't find a team mate under no pressure whatsoever and continue to lose goals from corners I fail to see where the optimism comes from. 

I thought that was a pretty entertaining match, all in. Both teams played quite well and there was a nice ebb and flow, with good goals and a bit of drama at the death. Stenny seemed to be in "let's have a laugh!" territory with regard to their team selection and formation, but Clyde didn't have the wherewithal to get the better of them and only really seemed to take the game seriously towards the end when they had their opponents on the back foot. You would never have known that one team was treating the contest with the earnestness of a pre-season friendly and the other were desperate for the three points given the outcome. While I was hoping for a blockbuster Stenhousemuir win to avenge the last meeting between the sides, this was more in line with what I was expecting.

Despite losing a poor goal early on, with a combination of poor passing in the middle of the park and defensive uncertainty contributing to Robbie Leitch running in and finishing well, Stenny got to grips with Clyde and were probably the better side overall, albeit without truly dominating. The home side should be very disappointed with the concession of both goals - Edin Lynch broke free at a corner to toe the ball into the net and as good a strike as Jordan Kirkpatrick's was, why did no-one attempt to shut him down? He had plenty of time to amble forward, consider his options, and shoot. Barry Cuddihy's equaliser was well taken, nodded into the corner well beyond Curtis Lyle's grasp, but the goalkeeper did well to push away Cammy Ballantyne's late drive.

Stenny did well today, for the most part. Kinlay Bilham was good as a left-sided centre-back, Kyle Jacobs won an extraordinary number of balls in midfield (he might be worth considering for next year), Kirkpatrick had some great touches and Matty Aitken, when he stopped trying to scrap with Craig Howie, held the ball up well. I think they largely held Clyde at arm's length until changing shape after going ahead - Ian McCall reacted superbly by bringing on Kian Leslie to run at Lynch at right-back, and this led to Cuddihy's goal. We did fine in the 3-4-2-1 formation, and it's nice to see us mix it up a little bit, but I can't imagine we'll see it again once we have a full complement of players to pick from.

While Stenhousemuir can look forward to lifting the League 2 trophy next weekend, Clyde must be very nervous about the next fortnight. There are some fine players there - we know better than anyone else how good they can be when it all clicks - but they seem less than the sum of their parts and for every player like Ray Grant or Jordan Allan, there's Chris McGinn struggling down the left or Martin Rennie trying to get to get into the game on the wing. I'm not too fussed on who finishes bottom of the table but if it is Clyde, I'd fancy them to beat Buckie Thistle or East Kilbride more than Stranraer or Bonnyrigg Rose. I don't know why.

Nice to see McCall yawning away at the start of the post match interview. Maybe this relaxed attitude from the gaffer would explain why half our team seem half asleep during games.

Also encouraging to see he might have actually finally looked at the league table although he thought there was a two point gap between us and Stranraer and had to be corrected. Encouraging signs!

34 minutes ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

Tbh the trip up here may not be as jeapardous as it may have been now we are safe. Our squad is wafer thin at the moment and can’t imagine any players carrying knocks will be risked. We had 4 substitutes today - at home!!

What are the players carrying knocks being protected from in the last game of the season?

15 minutes ago, Shawfield78 said:

Based on what exactly. If you can't find a team mate under no pressure whatsoever and continue to lose goals from corners I fail to see where the optimism comes from. 

The fact that we have beaten both teams before during this season, the 6-1 against Stenhousemuir...there are definitely a few actual footballers in the squad who are more than capable of winning these final two games. Will they turn up and prove it? Well, that remains to be seen...hence my "blind optimism".

40 minutes ago, Neilly said:

That’s the point I’m making we are probably going to have to make the journey down to Elgin needing points to survive. It’s a shame that a handful of Stenny fans were acting like 2 year olds giving our fans grief although congrats on winning the league. Yous have the ability to grind out 1 goal leads better than anyone so well done.

31 minutes ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

It’s a shame that a handful of Stenny fans were acting like 2 year olds giving our fans grief although congrats on winning the league.

I'm sorry that the chant: "Stenny's having a party and Clyde are going down!" upset you.