Livingston v Ross County (Sat 27th April, 3pm k.o)

22 minutes ago, Lanky Highlander said:

That was a tough watch, difficult to find any positives.

Long high balls against a big physical Livi dinnae work, who knew…? *

Like headless chickens at back and in midfield. No fight either, looked like their heads were still in the Spanish sun training session.

* Everyone 

Probably our least physical lineup with Anderson, Pittman, Stephen Kelly, Holt,  Brandon and MacKay all being on the smaller side with Carson and Sharp off the bench being similar. 

Brandon was my man of the match. Constant ball-winning, great engine that was setting the tempo for us, strong in possession, mostly decent passing. He and Holt were noticeably staggered today. Brandon was just in front of the defence which allowed Holt to play higher up which I felt we got the benefit from. In the 4-2-3-1, you need one of the two centre mids to supply the passes into the attacking midfield line. I think Holt is the player Martindale spent much of this season trying to turn Shinnie into. Stephen Kelly particularly benefited from the centre mid support Holt was providing today

I think players being "on the same wavelength" as each other matters, having similar preferences for how they're looking to play. Brandon, Holt, Pittman and Stephen Kelly very much are on the same wavelength. They all combine well together.

If Sean Kelly plays it should always be at left back like today. Not centre mid and not centre back. 

Actually enjoyed watching us today, not many times i've said that this season. Played some nice passing to get it up the pitch, instead of the usual hoofing it towards our front man. And even when we did go long to Anderson, it was up the chanels to give him the opportunity to chase it, and pressure defenders, which is how we scored our opener, Anderson pouncing on a mistake and chipping it into the net. Fucking hell, we even scored from the penalty spot.

Defending reasonably well too, made a few errors with loose passes, but played it out of defence a lot without making a c**t of it, and lumped it to f**k when needed. Even Shamal had a decent game. Amazing the difference when the pressure is off, playing without nerves. Just want us to keep playing like this and winning as many of the last 5 games as possible, 1 down, 4 to go. Relegation party suspended for another week.

16 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Probably our least physical lineup with Anderson, Pittman, Stephen Kelly, Holt,  Brandon and MacKay all being on the smaller side with Carson and Sharp off the bench being similar. 

Makes it even worse! You still had the better of County. Bah… 

15 hours ago, Lanky Highlander said:

That was a tough watch, difficult to find any positives.

Long high balls against a big physical Livi dinnae work, who knew…? *

Like headless chickens at back and in midfield at times.

No fight, looked like their heads were still in the Spanish sun training session.

* Everyone 

Livingston players are huge basketball type players. They should have kept the ball more on the ground. Were never scoring from a corner.

33 minutes ago, Sonam said:

Livingston players are huge basketball type players. They should have kept the ball more on the ground. Were never scoring from a corner.

We started the game with Bruce Anderson, Scott Pittman, Stephen Kelly, Jason Holt, Jamie Brandon and Dan MacKay who are all under 6 foot. Only our back 4 and keeper were over 6 foot. County had the same number of "huge basketball type players" in the starting lineup. 

27 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

We started the game with Bruce Anderson, Scott Pittman, Stephen Kelly, Jason Holt, Jamie Brandon and Dan MacKay who are all under 6 foot. Only our back 4 and keeper were over 6 foot. County had the same number of "huge basketball type players" in the starting lineup. 

Not compared to Yan Dhanda, Simon Murray etc...

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Just proves some football fans base everything on reputation rather than actually watching.

Long balls up to short attackers against tall defenders is obviously a terrible idea. The suggestion that the Livi team was full of giants while County had a team of garden gnomes is just factually incorrect - pretty sure the average height of both starting XIs works out more or less the exact same. 

1 hour ago, Sonam said:

Not compared to Yan Dhanda, Simon Murray etc...

If you want to get specific....Anderson is shorter than both of them...Murray is actually (according to different online sources) 6ft tall...so County had more of the "basketball type player"

What a strange County side; totally unrecognizable from the team we played previously this season who were constantly closing us down and exploiting the high defensive line - even Murray seemed like his mind was elsewhere.

Effectively they really need to win the game against St. Johnstone and  swap places with them because, if they play like they did yesterday against a competent Raith side, our away games to Dingwall may continue next Season.

4 minutes ago, Durnford said:

What a strange County side; totally unrecognizable from the team we played previously this season who were constantly closing us down and exploiting the high defensive line - even Murray seemed like his mind was elsewhere.

Effectively they really need to win the game against St. Johnstone and  swap places with them because, if they play like they did yesterday against a competent Raith side, our away games to Dingwall may continue next Season.

Yeah on their day County are a good team, but they're down in 11th place for a reason. 

49 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Just proves some football fans base everything on reputation rather than actually watching.

Long balls up to short attackers against tall defenders is obviously a terrible idea. The suggestion that the Livi team was full of giants while County had a team of garden gnomes is just factually incorrect - pretty sure the average height of both starting XIs works out more or less the exact same. 

Was the same with our Premiership promotion team, our midfield were all short arses, but we had a rep of fielding a team of giants. 

Martindale did sign a lot of big players this season though, and when Shamal, Nottingham, Obileye, Devlin, Montano, Se Kelly, Nouble, Guthrie, Yengi and Sangare started we did look a team of giants, but yesterday we were pretty much the same as any other team, having tall defenders & keeper, and short to average height players everywhere else.

35 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Was the same with our Premiership promotion team, our midfield were all short arses, but we had a rep of fielding a team of giants. 

Martindale did sign a lot of big players this season though, and when Shamal, Nottingham, Obileye, Devlin, Montano, Se Kelly, Nouble, Guthrie, Yengi and Sangare started we did look a team of giants, but yesterday we were pretty much the same as any other team, having tall defenders & keeper, and short to average height players everywhere else.

I suppose what I really meant was that Livi are a more ‘physical’ side than County and it showed with the winning of first balls, high balls (pretty much any balls in fact…)

Livi played well and were by far the better team. 

48 minutes ago, Lanky Highlander said:

I suppose what I really meant was that Livi are a more ‘physical’ side than County and it showed with the winning of first balls, high balls (pretty much any balls in fact…)

Livi played well and were by far the better team. 

Yeah it was good to see us play with a bit of fight yesterday, even in defence we were throwing bodies into blocking shots, haven't seen much of us doing that this season. It's usually the smaller players in midfield that are the most aggressive too, Holt loves snapping into challenges, and Pitts presses like f**k, same up front, Bruce runs about pressing CB's into mistakes and making a nuisance of himself, Brandon and MacKay are the same, getting stuck in and full of running. Too late for us now, but still, enjoyed coming away with that winning feeling, gives your spirit a wee lift. 

On 27/04/2024 at 16:28, Comrie said:

Beat Rangers, lose to Livi. County in a nutshell.

With the greatest of respect: Is it though? Can you point to a single other example of this type of sequence / scenario all season?

I would argue that pre-Cowie this season, "Pretty rubbish" would describe County in a nutshell, and under Cowie "Good at home, woeful on the road" would.

The behaviour of some of your Livingston teenage 'young team' on Saturday was absolutely appaling! One thick eedgit with a dull on balaclava!!! Drunk, scaring the poor wee young kids  travelling with Ross County. Not even Celtic, Rangers, ICT or Elgin ever been as bad!

Hopefully CCTV captured that and some of your 'young team' get a chap on the door from the Police! Disgraceful and for that alone deserve relegation.

I will be keeping an eye on Google & your local papers for that...

14 hours ago, Sonam said:

The behaviour of some of your Livingston teenage 'young team' on Saturday was absolutely appaling! One thick eedgit with a dull on balaclava!!! Drunk, scaring the poor wee young kids  travelling with Ross County. Not even Celtic, Rangers, ICT or Elgin ever been as bad!

Hopefully CCTV captured that and some of your 'young team' get a chap on the door from the Police! Disgraceful and for that alone deserve relegation.

I will be keeping an eye on Google & your local papers for that...

We heard a bit of a noise/roar when we were getting to our car over at St Margaret's Academy; was worried that might have been something kicking off. Whatever the circumstances its not what football or Livingston FC are about. Hopefully it wont put people off from coming again whenever we next meet.

I could be wrong but as far as I recall the last time something happened where away fans were targeted by wee idiots was against Stranraer about eight plus years ago.

2 hours ago, Durnford said:

We heard a bit of a noise/roar when we were getting to our car over at St Margaret's Academy; was worried that might have been something kicking off. Whatever the circumstances its not what football or Livingston FC are about. Hopefully it wont put people off from coming again whenever we next meet.

I could be wrong but as far as I recall the last time something happened where away fans were targeted by wee idiots was against Stranraer about eight plus years ago.

There was a group of noisy idiots giving it yee-ha and the police had kept them back from our bus (looked like the average age was about 11 years old mind you!). Not good to see and I hope Livi get this sorted.