Partick Thistle (4)🔴🟡⚫️ vs Airdrieonians (3)♦️

3 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

I used to work with a Thistle fan who was still raging about the 96 playoff years later.  Am I right in thinking United benefitted from a shocking bit of refereeing?

I have let that go. It didn't seem good at the time, that's for sure.

26 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

What did they actually do?

Hibs decided they would put their own fans in the top tier behind the goal with Airdrie fans in the bottom tier. Cue spitting, throwing coins, chucking pies, cups of Bovril and cups of piss down onto the Airdrie fans in the second half. 

Thankfully I managed to avoid the "rain shower" 🙄 😒 as I was in the main stand at that game. 

23 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

What did they actually do?

I got into the ground early and anticipating issues having the home fans located above the away fans headed for the seats at the top that were covered by the overhang of the top tier where the Hibs fans were located. As I recall they threw all sorts of shit at the Airdrie support.

In the return match I had two Hibs fans come up to me to say we were in their seat which came as news to me as a season ticket holder. The tickets they had was indeed for the row and seat numbers we were in but it was for the stand opposite, how they'd not realised this beforehand or it'd not crossed their mind they were amongst the home fans and would want to sit there kind of blew me away!

Posted (edited)

I can't imagine anything more quintessentially Partick Thistle than a podcast about watching old games on Betamax.  That Dundee United fan who was seething about beards and wrestling might just evaporate in a pitch of ecstatic fury if he heard about it.

Edited by A Diamond For Me
typo

2 hours ago, AllanJM said:

I used to work with a Thistle fan who was still raging about the 96 playoff years later.  Am I right in thinking United benefitted from a shocking bit of refereeing?

I've got a Thistle mate who still goes on about the penalty they never got. Except if it was a foul its not even in the penalty box 

image.jpeg.659c4069ab88a2da32873ee59d98a574.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I think our only chance of getting through this tie is getting a result at home tonight. McCabe-ball just isn’t as effective on Thistle’s tattie field.

I’m expecting us to go pretty direct (by our standards anyway) on Friday night whatever happens tonight. Agree on tonight though, a draw and it’s still up for grabs but I think we really have to get a win tonight. 

Looking forward to the game. Don’t feel anywhere near as nervous as I did last year but there’s a lot to be said for not having the fear of an 11th year stuck in League One looming over us. It’s set up for a good occasion tonight, two teams who play decent football and based on the league tables and games so far there’s not a huge amount between them. 

Yeah, very different vibe about the playoffs this time around.  Even when we'd been doing well in the runup to the playoffs in previous years, they were clouded with a sense of desperation that we just have to get out of this bloody purgatory of a division.  That's not the case this year.  It's been great being in this division, and we've nothing to lose.  Thistle should be the favourites over two legs, but you never know.  Head says Thistle ought to win out overall, heart says if the tie is still live/we have a lead going into Friday you just never know.  Head also says it's too soon for us to go up and it'd be better to build up the club more slowly with more time in this division, heart says I've never seen us in the top league before and we may not get a chance like this again for a long time.  Head says relax and enjoy it, anything after securing safety was always a bonus, heart says when the starting whistle goes I'll be right up for it. 

Think you've nailed it there, previously we were desperate to get out of a league and get through the play offs. There's not the same desperation or urgency this time round, so the players just need to be confident that's the case and not panic, but still recognise the importance of it and the opportunity they have. 

47 minutes ago, Nutmeg Richard said:

Scott Fleming reckons Airdrie v Partick Thistle is one of Scotland's hidden rivalries. They don't meet each other all that often. They're 90 minutes apart. So why is there so much needle between them? And it is all going to kick off again tonight?

Here's his special report for Nutmeg Magazine

In what world are Thistle and Airdrie 90 minutes apart?

1 hour ago, Nutmeg Richard said:

Scott Fleming reckons Airdrie v Partick Thistle is one of Scotland's hidden rivalries. They don't meet each other all that often. They're 90 minutes apart. So why is there so much needle between them? And it is all going to kick off again tonight?

Here's his special report for Nutmeg Magazine

It's a half hour drive door to door and an hour on the train. This isn't the 19th century and we aren't going by horse and cart.

2 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I think our only chance of getting through this tie is getting a result at home tonight. McCabe-ball just isn’t as effective on Thistle’s tattie field.

I wouldn't worry - neither is DoolsBall.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Hibs decided they would put their own fans in the top tier behind the goal with Airdrie fans in the bottom tier. Cue spitting, throwing coins, chucking pies, cups of Bovril and cups of piss down onto the Airdrie fans in the second half. 

Thankfully I managed to avoid the "rain shower" 🙄 😒 as I was in the main stand at that game. 

Sounds like Aberdeen fans at Ibrox on many occasions, from what I’ve heard.

Edit: I mean Dons fans being put in the lower deck….

Edited by Braesoyetts