Simon Murray for Scotland (super sub, perhaps?)

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Are you trying to write-off a boy who has already done it for Scotland?

His performance pretty much won the game for QoS at Starks, which meant we were 3-1 down going into the away leg at Palmerston.

The funny thing is that despite you posting very extensively in the match thread at the time, you didn't once mention anything Dykes offered on the night.

It's almost as if you're just re-assessing what he did then, due to the direction his career subsequently took.

Β 

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The funny thing is that despite you posting very extensively in the match thread at the time, you didn't once mention anything Dykes offered on the night.

It's almost as if you're just re-assessing what he did then, due to the direction his career subsequently took.

Β 

I’d imagine I was fairly spewing after the game and wasn’t at all interested in espousing the virtues of some Aussie (now Scottish) boy who I hadn’t a clue about.

Either way, we were all worried about Dobbie and it turned out it was Dykes we should have been concerned with.

I see virginton was ecstatic about the result. God, it still changes his name when you type it in.

Edited by Scary Bear

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I’d imagine I was fairly spewing after the game and wasn’t at all interested in espousing the virtues of some Aussie (now Scottish) boy who I hadn’t a clue about.

I think you were actually the only member of your family not spewing at the time.

The point stands though.Β  You had plenty to say about the game, but Dykes didn't get a single mention.Β Β 

We see it a lot with Dykes.Β  Admittedly, Skyline Drifter was always a fan, but in most cases he wasn't that highly regarded when with us.Β  It's only since he's gone onto better things, that we get told how important a Queens player he was.

Lads, we have to consider the form argument. Simon Murray is on fire.Β  He knows where the goal is - concidence is sky high. Shankland is currently off form. Has looked a shadow of himself since he missed his chance v Holland.

Steve Clarke simplyΒ MUST call him up, give him a crack and let us have a wee look see.

I’ve met Simon Murray a couple of times outside a primary school in Dundee.

We didn’t arrange to meet there or anything. I was picking up my daughter whilst he was also collecting someone.Β 
Β 

it was clear he was a fellow admirer of the Milfy gym slags.

Call him up I say, and get the Milfy gym slags on the plane as cheerleaders.

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Lads, we have to consider the form argument. Simon Murray is on fire.Β  He knows where the goal is - concidence is sky high. Shankland is currently off form. Has looked a shadow of himself since he missed his chance v Holland.

Steve Clarke simplyΒ MUST call him up, give him a crack and let us have a wee look see.

Good call. The likes of Gibraltar and Finland seem perfect opportunities to try him out. 32 is no age these days. One for the future. He’ll be in his prime for the World Cup in America.

17 hours ago, 2426255 said:

You're still doing this, huh?Β 

4 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

You're still doing this, huh?Β 

I am. If you can't beat them, join them. Everyone else is posting shite, so why shouldn't I?

18 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

There's another leftfield striker option everyone seems to be ignoring here...

image.thumb.jpeg.8b5c261c8c1b4eb5c401c15ad65d9b2e.jpeg

Murray would be the perfect foil for him.

But the question we should be asking is can Thelonius Bair do us a turn? Can return to Canada for their gold cup nonsense later

On 05/05/2024 at 15:13, Scary Bear said:

Are you trying to write-off a boy who has already done it for Scotland?

His performance pretty much won the game for QoS at Starks, which meant we were 3-1 down going into the away leg at Palmerston.

The bold Simon also put us to the sword at Starks when playing for Queen’s Park in a 5-2 win. If Queens Park hadn’t sold him to Ross County I think they would have won the league.

MT doesn't rate Dykes. Or at least didn't rate him whilst at Queens. To be fair to him, whilst he was as wrong as wrong gets on that front, he was far from alone. Dykes very much split the Queens support between those who thought his attributes were outstanding for us and contributed enormously to Dobbie's effectiveness in his 2nd spell (his numbers fell off a cliff when Dykes left), including Dobbie himself, and those who felt we could get better in the South of Scotland League and he offered nothing.

On 05/05/2024 at 20:19, Monkey Tennis said:

I think you were actually the only member of your family not spewing at the time.

The point stands though.Β  You had plenty to say about the game, but Dykes didn't get a single mention.Β Β 

We see it a lot with Dykes.Β  Admittedly, Skyline Drifter was always a fan, but in most cases he wasn't that highly regarded when with us.Β  It's only since he's gone onto better things, that we get told how important a Queens player he was.

I'm not sure "most" is true. But yeah, about half of those actively expressing an opinion weren't fans, it's true. They were all wrong of course but I'm not going to pretend it wasn't the case.

I thought within the first couple of games I saw Dykes play (in his 2nd spell after he returned from his homesickness) that he'd go on to be an international. Honestly. Granted I thought it would be for Australia, not Scotland, but I could see the raw quality, the physical attributes and the determination.

For what it's worth he utterly bullied Raith that night and he did win us that playoff tie in about 70 minutes. MT's right that he also missed a sitter to put it beyond doubt that would have made it 4-0 on the night though.

Posted (edited)

I was a big fan of Dykes at Palmerston, he worked his socks off and did some great link up play with Dobbie. He is a prime example of someone who has maximised his talent. I never for one moment thought I'd be sitting here with him on 36 Scotland caps and 9 goals.

Edited by TeeMan

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dykes very much split the Queens support between those who thought his attributes were outstanding for us and contributed enormously to Dobbie's effectiveness in his 2nd spell (his numbers fell off a cliff when Dykes left), including Dobbie himself

You see this "including Dobbie himself" stuff, I'm not convinced of it.

I never heard Dobbie waxing too lyrically about Dykes' gifts.

I remember the great man being asked directly about Dykes' contribution on Sportsound once.Β  I'd describe his answer as polite.Β  It wasn't especially enthusiastic though.Β 

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You see this "including Dobbie himself" stuff, I'm not convinced of it.

I never heard Dobbie waxing too lyrically about Dykes' gifts.

I remember the great man being asked directly about Dykes' contribution on Sportsound once.Β  I'd describe his answer as polite.Β  It wasn't especially enthusiastic though.Β 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7673651/lyndon-dykes-unselfish-work-outside-box-scotland-qatar-dobbie/

He's also directly said the same thing in conversation in my presence. I think you know enough about me to acknowledge I'm not making that up.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7673651/lyndon-dykes-unselfish-work-outside-box-scotland-qatar-dobbie/

He's also directly said the same thing in conversation in my presence. I think you know enough about me to acknowledge I'm not making that up.

Yes, polite rather than effusive.Β  A little red top massaging of the quotes I'd say.Β  Kindly answers given to leading questions. He's a well brought up boy.

I do know enough about you to acknowledge that you give red dots to perfectly measured, inoffensive andΒ  reasonable posts, simply because you disagree with their content. πŸ˜‰

Edited by Monkey Tennis

On 05/05/2024 at 15:48, Butters Scotch said:

What's so interesting? I've played with him and against him at youth professional level then watched him at United in the championship each week then again on the live games on Sky etc more el recently for hibs and county so I've seen my fair share of him.

Who did Si play fir at youth level?Β 

I used to ding about with his brothers (or step brothers) and can't remember him being anywhere other than Arbroath.Β 

I've berated the boy for years - to his face to, may I add - I'm of the opinion he's one of the guys in life that falls ourmt windows and goes upwards but fair play to him thus season, he's resembled somewhat of a footballer. Brilliant guy though.Β 

Apart from the whole supporting Dundee but going to United games wearing their tops - then signing for them. *Spit*.

Just now, Derry Alli said:

Who did Si play fir at youth level?Β 

I used to ding about with his brothers (or step brothers) and can't remember him being anywhere other than Arbroath.Β 

I've berated the boy for years - to his face to, may I add - I'm of the opinion he's one of the guys in life that falls ourmt windows and goes upwards but fair play to him thus season, he's resembled somewhat of a footballer. Brilliant guy though.Β 

Apart from the whole supporting Dundee but going to United games wearing their tops - then signing for them. *Spit*.

I just remember playing against him for Celtic Boys Club when he was at DUSC then we both played for the Dundee youth team (he wasn't there long), Dundee United development squad. I think also the Dundee Schools teams to play against other cities although could be wrong as he was a little younger.

He was always a bit of a pacey striker who can had some talent but seen a ton of other better players in the same age group who didn't make it. He took a while to develop as he was very slight at the time and used to get bullied in matches. I'd never think he would make it professional, seems to have worked really hard on his game to get where he is now though.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, polite rather than effusive.Β  A little red top massaging of the quotes I'd say.Β  Kindly answers given to leading questions. He's a well brought up boy.

I do know enough about you to acknowledge that you give red dots to perfectly measured, inoffensive andΒ  reasonable posts, simply because you disagree with their content. πŸ˜‰

There's nothing perfectly measured or reasonable about your view on Dykes time at Palmerston. It's just wrong and red dotted accordingly. 😝

I'll grant you it is not offensive though. πŸ™‚

Edited by Skyline Drifter