Heart of Midlothian - 2024/25 European Tour

24 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I seen someone say their game against Anderlecht was behind closed doors

Fancy Hearts to get something in Brugge. That's really the one that got away for us, and it looks like they're losing their best player this window.

I'd imagine Copenhagen will either have sacked the manager and cut their injury list down by the time the game comes round, could be a taller order than we faced.

7 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Are we now saying it's P&B policy that Michael Stewart and Neil McCann are always right?

Plzen did to us last night what they did all last season.

Whoever Heartys had played, I am confident you'd have said they were rubbish. None of the points from my previous post have changed.

Got it, Plzen were amazing. Hearts were unlucky and anyone who disagrees is wrong. 

19 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Fancy Hearts to get something in Brugge.

They've been terrible in the Pro League this season. I watch a bit of Belgian football and they haven't started well. Although having said this, neither have Hearts...

2 hours ago, DC92 said:

Pot 4 is a bit of a killer and I would have liked an easier tie from Pot 6.

I reckon we'll need to beat "Petrocub" at home and take 4 points from Omonia (h) and Minsk (a). Unfortunately we are shit.

Petrocub barely got past TNS in the Europa League, so I think Hearts should beat them as long as they display some sort of attacking gumption.

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

That's pretty tough. Shamrock Rovers got a great draw in comparison.

Who will Shamrock Rovers face?

Chelsea (A)
Apoel (H)
SK Rapid (A)
The New Saints (H)
Borac (H)
Larne (A)

Chelsea will play their u14s in that group. 

7 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

The point is based on your assumption that teams ranked above their opponents should win ! 

This makes zero sense unless your argument is it would have been embarassing for Falkirk to have lost to us. 

Which, given the way we're playing, maybe.  It was certainly an embarrassment for us losing to them.   And maybe Plzen would have felt embarrassed if we'd beat them but last night wasn't embarassing for Scottish football

Still trying to get my head round this new UEFA Conference League malarkey, but it sounds as though clubs finishing 1-8 automatically qualify for the knockout round of 16.  Then clubs finishing 24 or higher play off in two leg ties to fill the final 8 places of the knockout round of 16.  Leaving clubs 25-36 eliminated.  On that basis (and having applied no other logic or statistics I grant you ...) I'd have thought that Hearts should be capable of getting into the playoffs for the round of 16 knockout stage - ie finishing 24 out of 36 or higher.

Also think I like the variety of playing 6 teams (once) in the league phase instead of playing only 3 teams (but twice) in the old group phase.

If they'd made it through last night into the EL version of this, then I think they'd have got battered and demoralised in most games - this Conf League won't have the same shine as the two higher competitions but it gives our sides (outwith the ugly sisters) at least a chance.

10 minutes ago, HTG said:

Chelsea will play their u14s in that group. 

Don't Chelsea have something daft like 50 odd first team players though ... they'll just play the second or third string that ain't good enough to make the Premier League squads.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Don't Chelsea have something daft like 50 odd first team players though ... they'll just play the second or third string that ain't good enough to make the Premier League squads.

Maresca was saying today he intends to take it seriously and play established players.  Happy not to find out if he's serious or not

13 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Still trying to get my head round this new UEFA Conference League malarkey, but it sounds as though clubs finishing 1-8 automatically qualify for the knockout round of 16.  Then clubs finishing 24 or higher play off in two leg ties to fill the final 8 places of the knockout round of 16.  Leaving clubs 25-36 eliminated.  On that basis (and having applied no other logic or statistics I grant you ...) I'd have thought that Hearts should be capable of getting into the playoffs for the round of 16 knockout stage - ie finishing 24 out of 36 or higher.

Also think I like the variety of playing 6 teams (once) in the league phase instead of playing only 3 teams (but twice) in the old group phase.

If they'd made it through last night into the EL version of this, then I think they'd have got battered and demoralised in most games - this Conf League won't have the same shine as the two higher competitions but it gives our sides (outwith the ugly sisters) at least a chance.

Can't see hearts getting into play off 

1 hour ago, Binos said:

Can't see hearts getting into play off 

Maybe not, but this new format probably gives them (or any other non OF club) a better chance of getting there than previously.

As posted on one of the previous pages, 6 points gives you about a 40% chance of going through and 7 points is something like 97%.

If we can beat Petrocub at home we'd need 3 or 4 points from elsewhere. Omonia at home and Minsk away look like the best shots at possible wins with Cercle Brugge away a possible draw. I definitely wouldn't be confident of getting those results on current form, but if we can get our act together a bit it's certainly achievable. We got 6 points last time from a tougher format because we took care of the weaker team in the group home and away and we'll probably need to do similar here.

The annoying thing is getting Cercle Brugge away from Pot 4. I'm not sure how good they are but there were some weak teams in that pot which would have given us a much better opportunity for 3 points.

16 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I read that initially as "the same shite" and thought that doesn't make sense.

As, indeed, it wouldn't

Across all 3 competitions 72 clubs reach knockouts which as as task or achievement is equivalent to reaching groups before Conference began a few years ago: 32 CL + 48 EL = 80 at that time, previously 32 CL + 40 UC = 72 (and indeed Aberdeen and Hearts both previously reached groupstage under that format).

On 30/08/2024 at 17:44, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

This makes zero sense unless your argument is it would have been embarassing for Falkirk to have lost to us. 

Which, given the way we're playing, maybe.  It was certainly an embarrassment for us losing to them.   And maybe Plzen would have felt embarrassed if we'd beat them but last night wasn't embarassing for Scottish football

Given you were the third best team in Scotland last year and the manner in which you played on Thursday night I would say you were an embarrassment to Scottish Football.

9 hours ago, DC92 said:

As posted on one of the previous pages, 6 points gives you about a 40% chance of going through and 7 points is something like 97%.

If we can beat Petrocub at home we'd need 3 or 4 points from elsewhere. Omonia at home and Minsk away look like the best shots at possible wins with Cercle Brugge away a possible draw. I definitely wouldn't be confident of getting those results on current form, but if we can get our act together a bit it's certainly achievable. We got 6 points last time from a tougher format because we took care of the weaker team in the group home and away and we'll probably need to do similar here.

The annoying thing is getting Cercle Brugge away from Pot 4. I'm not sure how good they are but there were some weak teams in that pot which would have given us a much better opportunity for 3 points.

Non old firm clubs have rarely if ever got their act together in Europe since the 1980s

16 hours ago, Joe Terrapin said:

Given you were the third best team in Scotland last year and the manner in which you played on Thursday night I would say you were an embarrassment to Scottish Football.

Lost 1-0 (2-0 on aggregate) to a higher ranked team. Calm down.