The Castle Cary Shootout

Should be some game. Good crowd too hopefully. 

Winner plays Broxburn for LL play off. 

Good to see Creetown in with a shout. Gow played them in SRCC last season won 6-3. We got a couple players from the Star last season too, Currie brothers.

How do you think either will fare against Broxburn?

It doesn't matter what level it is at; there is nothing that makes our game more beautiful than a league decider.

On Wednesday evening we in Dumfries & Galloway have the privilege to be able to host such a contest. After 9 months of football from Sanquhar in the North, Dalbeattie in the South, Lockerbie in the East, and Stranraer in the West.

It all comes down to 90 mins, just off the A75 between Creetown Services and the holiday park, at picturesque and slightly sleepy Castle Cary Park. 

In many ways it seems an odd site for a championship deciding location; with the River Cree estuary just metres away across the A75. The Galloway Forest visible, on the occasional clear day above and in the distance. 

To top it off in the most Gallovidian way imaginable; it shares its entrance, clubhouse and general location with one of the areas many caravan parks.

At hopefully 1930 promptly; the home team Creetown F.C. will leave the log cabin clubhouse to entertain and joust with Star F.C. of Dalbeattie for the honour of being crowned South of Scotland Football League Champion for season 2023-24.

Forget about the pyramid and all its ups and downs. Forget about Broxburn Athletic, East of Scotland Champions waiting in the wings licking their lips at the prospect of facing-off for a place in the much maligned Lowland League. Forget that the infant West of Scotland have produced an unlicensed Champion once again. Forget that the big boys in the Central Belt don't think our champion should even be allowed in the upcoming play-off. Forget that the SFA/SPFL are seemingly not as invested in this fledgling pyramid as perhaps they should be.

Instead immerse yourself in 90 plus minutes of teachers and office workers and farmers and whatever their employee status; hopefully awash with drama and excitement and whatever the outcome, we will have a worthy Champion for our very own wee unappreciated, but not unloved SOSFL.

Football is the winner, as it should be.

See you at CCP on Wednesday.

16 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Should be some game. Good crowd too hopefully. 

Winner plays Broxburn for LL play off. 

Good to see Creetown in with a shout. Gow played them in SRCC last season won 6-3. We got a couple players from the Star last season too, Currie brothers.

How do you think either will fare against Broxburn?

Glad to see interest from outwith the Galloway, football down here can be ignored at times.

Creetown have come on greatly over past couple of seasons and probably the club I see most down here. An excellent example of community club immersed in the fabric of the town. As are Star over in Dalbeattie, they have had a decent season after dropping down from the LL.

Hopefully a good turnout and what I do like down here is that fans,  whose own team isn't playing do make the effort to go along and watch other teams playing locally.

As for Broxburn; got to be honest in that can't see either team being able to best them over 2 legs. Whomever wins the title will be looking to make the first leg down here on the 18th a contest at the very least.

Nice to see you taking time out from your own promotion tilt. Although I think your run since the New Year has made it virtually a certainty now, so pressure just about off now.

Bellshill and Threave seem to be doing their utmost to not get promoted. 😆😆

Looking forward to Wednesday, will be nervous excitement all around me from both sides. I can just enjoy my football as usual. Quite enjoying not having a team whom I support.

46 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Glad to see interest from outwith the Galloway, football down here can be ignored at times.

Creetown have come on greatly over past couple of seasons and probably the club I see most down here. An excellent example of community club immersed in the fabric of the town. As are Star over in Dalbeattie, they have had a decent season after dropping down from the LL.

Hopefully a good turnout and what I do like down here is that fans,  whose own team isn't playing do make the effort to go along and watch other teams playing locally.

As for Broxburn; got to be honest in that can't see either team being able to best them over 2 legs. Whomever wins the title will be looking to make the first leg down here on the 18th a contest at the very least.

Nice to see you taking time out from your own promotion tilt. Although I think your run since the New Year has made it virtually a certainty now, so pressure just about off now.

Bellshill and Threave seem to be doing their utmost to not get promoted. 😆😆

Looking forward to Wednesday, will be nervous excitement all around me from both sides. I can just enjoy my football as usual. Quite enjoying not having a team whom I support.

I've always had a wee interest  in SOS. I love non league football and there's an oddity factor, I just like about SOS. I would say the same about the Highlands. SOS must have the most cups for any region.

Gow played Broxburn and lost 3-2 at their place this season.  One off maybe but two legs think it will be a step too far.

Having played Creetown, think I will hoping they do it. Seem a good wee club.

We need five points from the remaining four games to confirm promotion. Which we should do.

We could confirm promotion at Kello on Saturday, if we win and beat Vale of Leven away on Weds but it won't be easy.

I would like some straightforward wins, instead of the roller coaster football we've had in recent games.

Regards SOS, always kept an eye out for Newton Stewart results and before that Tarff Rovers. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Father Ted said:

I've always had a wee interest  in SOS. I love non league football and there's an oddity factor, I just like about SOS. I would say the same about the Highlands. SOS must have the most cups for any region.

Gow played Broxburn and lost 3-2 at their place this season.  One off maybe but two legs think it will be a step too far.

Having played Creetown, think I will hoping they do it. Seem a good wee club.

We need five points from the remaining four games to confirm promotion. Which we should do.

We could confirm promotion at Kello on Saturday, if we win and beat Vale of Leven away on Weds but it won't be easy.

I would like some straightforward wins, instead of the roller coaster football we've had in recent games.

Regards SOS, always kept an eye out for Newton Stewart results and before that Tarff Rovers. 

Picked up a saying when involved in youth coaching; "Easy to play against". For me that is Threave Rovers.

Last season we had 7 cups not counting SRCC and big Scottish. I know its a small league, but that's ridiculous. One of the downsides is that we have just had Abbey Vale play Newton Stewart 3 weeks in a row in various cups. That is not out of the ordinary either.

Star have 11 titles over the years. Creetown have two 2nd places, one being last season behind Vale. Whilst I don't have a preference it would be wonderful for Creetown  They have come a long way recently, got their SFA Licence before the door slammed shut, and had a big day at CCP against Whitehill earlier in the season.

Where I live in the Stewartry I can easily travel to Dalbeattie, Castle Douglas (CD), Kirkcudbright (KBT), Creetown, Wigtown and Newton Stewart (NS). So I do.

Also New Abbey and Heathhall, for Lochar Thistle ain't that far.

Love the people at NS like many here a great wee club and very much a part of the community like most clubs. The only exception I see is St.Cuthberts, they seem to have totally lost the town. More folk travel to see they two every week than probably the full seasons attendance at St.Mary's. Tough times for the old girl.

Their agm is next Friday 17th hoping to pop along to get the feeling in the club about going forward.

Edited by An Absolute Imposter

4 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Picked up a saying when involved in youth coaching; "Easy to play against". For me that is Threave Rovers.

Last season we had 7 cups not counting SRCC and big Scottish. I know its a small league, but that's ridiculous. One of the downsides is that we have just had Abbey Vale play Newton Stewart 3 weeks in a row in various cups. That is not out of the ordinary either.

Star have 11 titles over the years. Creetown have two 2nd places, one being last season behind Vale. Whilst I don't have a preference it would be wonderful for Creetown  They have come a long way recently, got their SFA Licence before the door slammed shut, and had a big day at CCP against Whitehill earlier in the season.

Where I live in the Stewartry I can easily travel to Dalbeattie, Castle Douglas (CD), Kirkcudbright (KBT), Creetown, Wigtown and Newton Stewart (NS). So I do.

Also New Abbey and Heathhall, for Lochar Thistle ain't that far.

Love the people at NS like many here a great wee club and very much a part of the community like most clubs. The only exception I see is St.Cuthberts, they seem to have totally lost the town. More folk travel to see they two every week than probably the full seasons attendance at St.Mary's. Tough times for the old girl.

Their agm is next Friday 17th hoping to pop along to get the feeling in the club about going forward.

I was surprised at St Cuthberts drop in form, as they are usually one of stronger teams in the area.

You have to involve the community, its vital at this level.

We played Upper Annandale in the SRCC, great folks running the club, chatting to them. They struggle to get locals turning up but not for the want of trying 

£3 to get in and free cakes at half time. What's not to like.

Played Mid Annandale too, great wee set up they have, doing it right with a cage. Bonus points for pie stall. It was so wet the night we played them, I would have been better wearing a wetsuit and a divers helmet 🤣

3 hours ago, Father Ted said:

I was surprised at St Cuthberts drop in form, as they are usually one of stronger teams in the area.

You have to involve the community, its vital at this level.

We played Upper Annandale in the SRCC, great folks running the club, chatting to them. They struggle to get locals turning up but not for the want of trying 

£3 to get in and free cakes at half time. What's not to like.

Played Mid Annandale too, great wee set up they have, doing it right with a cage. Bonus points for pie stall. It was so wet the night we played them, I would have been better wearing a wetsuit and a divers helmet 🤣

Don't know what's going on at Saints. The last 2 seasons, after a title winning season, have been difficult. Club has been a part of KBT since 1879, so to be at games with 20 odd other folk is quite depressing to see. 

Don't know the Annandale clubs other than when they travel west into Galloway.

Saints lost the town, as have other clubs in the past when they were able through some good money sponsorship to pay the best players in the area. Unfortunately in the South, the money does not last for long and when you lose the locals both players and spectators it is very hard to get them back. there are .for the population of the south of Scotland a lot of teams and relatively few long-term sponsors. This situation will I think be with us for the foreseeable future. 

On 07/05/2024 at 18:23, info said:

Saints lost the town, as have other clubs in the past when they were able through some good money sponsorship to pay the best players in the area. Unfortunately in the South, the money does not last for long and when you lose the locals both players and spectators it is very hard to get them back. there are .for the population of the south of Scotland a lot of teams and relatively few long-term sponsors. This situation will I think be with us for the foreseeable future. 

I only started attending SOS games in season 22-23, so don't know my history.

What I did become aware of fairly quickly, was the team incumbent then were not local in any sense, and on the main were not looked upon favourably by the locals.

Coaching staff from some outfit called Airdrie SC? Never heard of them.

Honestly I don't really get this 'they're not locals' thing. Yes, it is good to see local lads playing and being involved but not at the exclusion of outsiders.

Having lived and worked in the area on and off for over 30 years; I at times find the Kirkcudbright area to be a bit on the strange side with regards to this outsider attitude. I have not been aware of it being as prevalent elsewhere in the Stewartry.

I know KBT is seen as a 'staunch' toon. But there is a place for your local team. It works for other parts of the country where fans go to watch the 2 airsecheeks but still attend local teams games regularly.

We will see what comes out if the agm.

2 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Here's to a trip to Dalbeattie this weekend.

aye looking forward to it myself, brother.

Hopefully Star make a game of it. Personally dont want to lose Star as have enjoyed watching them this past season, but don't want them pummelled or the Talbot Victor Meldrew will be all over it.

On 10/05/2024 at 23:59, Bluenortherner said:

Anyone know what the attendance was? 

I’d say a couple of hundred at a real push probably below that ! Ludicrous to think a local Cup Final could compete with the Old Firm and we did ask for it to be closed to home for both Clubs to hopefully boost the crowd but that completely fell on deaf ears 

On 14/05/2024 at 11:29, AML67 said:

I’d say a couple of hundred at a real push probably below that ! Ludicrous to think a local Cup Final could compete with the Old Firm and we did ask for it to be closed to home for both Clubs to hopefully boost the crowd but that completely fell on deaf ears 

I think the question was about the league decider, no the cup final. 🤷‍♂️

On 14/05/2024 at 11:29, AML67 said:

It was a disappointing turnout on Sat at St.Mary's. Would there have been a better attendance at Trammondford. 

What was even more disappointing was the number wearing the tops of 2 clubs that play over 100 miles away from Galloway, I hate that no matter where you go in Scotia, they are the most prevalent tops that you see. 😖

On 17/05/2024 at 08:50, An Absolute Imposter said:

It was a disappointing turnout on Sat at St.Mary's. Would there have been a better attendance at Trammondford. 

What was even more disappointing was the number wearing the tops of 2 clubs that play over 100 miles away from Galloway, I hate that no matter where you go in Scotia, they are the most prevalent tops that you see. 😖

No doubt that there would have been a far bigger attendance at Tram ! Poor choice of day and venue by the League and it was the ONLY Cup Final played on a Saturday not to mention having to compete with the Old Firm !

Perhaps an error in judgement 

On 16/05/2024 at 13:49, outsider said:

I think the question was about the league decider, no the cup final. 🤷‍♂️

It was scheduled for a Saturday remember but fate took that situation out of the hands of both sides