Fan numbers in Germany well over 100k expected next month

Posted (edited)

With it just being a month until the euros start how many Scotland fans do we reckon will travel to Germany I’ve seen articles that say 150k and some are saying we’ll have 5 or 6x that giving it’s the first proper tournament abroad in over 26 years in a country that’s near by with loads of neighbouring countries good transport and accommodation how many do we reckon will be an accurate number 

Edited by Calz

48 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

750,000. ?

Apparently half a million Scot’s are going to be in Germany next month according to the mirror and there’s scots from all over the world planning to come aswell 

• Calz changed the title to Fan numbers in Germany well over 100k expected next month
8 minutes ago, Calz said:

Apparently half a million Scot’s are going to be in Germany next month according to the mirror and there’s scots from all over the world planning to come aswell 

My cousin who lives in Texas is flying over for the Euro’s just for the atmosphere. 

4 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

My cousin who lives in Texas is flying over for the Euro’s just for the atmosphere. 

Yep be folk coming from all over it’s going to be class 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🍺

I’m sure I remember seeing at the time that the media were saying we took 20k down to London on the trains alone for the last euros, probably meaning about 40/50k total. Truth be told it felt like a lot more than that at the time as London is a huge city and it was absolutely hoaching with Scots on the Thursday and Friday.

Speaking anecdotally, I know quite a lot of people through work/Thistle games/mutual acquaintances who have booked up (quite similar to London 2021 in that regard.)

I think this being the first “proper” tournament we’ve qualified for since 98 with no pandemic restrictions and in a fairly close, safe country with great infrastructure and a big drinking culture will mean we take a large support.

I think the fact that USA 2026 will be prohibitively expensive and Euro 2028 will be a home tournament will mean a lot of people will treat this as a truly unique “one and done” experience that we might never get the chance to go to again. I’m going in a group of 10 and I doubt any will go to the states if we get there.

13 hours ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

I’m sure I remember seeing at the time that the media were saying we took 20k down to London on the trains alone for the last euros, probably meaning about 40/50k total. Truth be told it felt like a lot more than that at the time as London is a huge city and it was absolutely hoaching with Scots on the Thursday and Friday.

Speaking anecdotally, I know quite a lot of people through work/Thistle games/mutual acquaintances who have booked up (quite similar to London 2021 in that regard.)

I think this being the first “proper” tournament we’ve qualified for since 98 with no pandemic restrictions and in a fairly close, safe country with great infrastructure and a big drinking culture will mean we take a large support.

I think the fact that USA 2026 will be prohibitively expensive and Euro 2028 will be a home tournament will mean a lot of people will treat this as a truly unique “one and done” experience that we might never get the chance to go to again. I’m going in a group of 10 and I doubt any will go to the states if we get there.

There are also tens of thousands of Scots who already live in London, nevermind elsewhere in Nigeldom.  Not sure how many live in Germany and surrounding European countries (there are two Church of Scotland congregations in the Netherlands and one in Switzerland, for instance), but you'd imagine a lot of them will be taking part in the festivities as well. 

Much as I love my fellow countrymen I'm quite glad I'll be spending most of the time in Berlin, far away from most of the foot soldiers.

I'll be there for a week in Dusseldorf with a group of about 10 of us from Dundee. 

We won tickets for a few matches in the Ruhr region in the ballots including Scotland Switzerland match so cannot wait. 

Speaking to others, every man and their dog are heading over for a few days at least so hard to put a figure on it but reckon it could be our biggest travelling support abraod for any tournament we've been too.

22 hours ago, Calz said:

With it just being a month until the euros start how many Scotland fans do we reckon will travel to Germany I’ve seen articles that say 150k and some are saying we’ll have 5 or 6x that 

Anyone suggesting that is utterly deranged.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Anyone suggesting that is utterly deranged.

Not really considering there’s lots of people travelling from other parts of world and there’s lots of Scot’s already living in Germany and the surrounding countries 

Edited by Calz

3 minutes ago, Calz said:

Not really considering there’s lots of people travelling from other parts of world and there’s lots of Scot’s already living in Germany and the surrounding countries 

Yes, really.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, really.

We also need to take into consideration it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity a proper tournament abroad with no restrictions the next two tournaments are in the USA and in the 2028 euros will be at home and we may not even qualify for either 

3 minutes ago, Calz said:

We also need to take into consideration it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity a proper tournament abroad with no restrictions the next two tournaments are in the USA and in the 2028 euros will be at home and we may not even qualify for either 

None of which will, for a moment, mean that there will be anything like three quarters of a million Scottish fans there.  The suggestion that it might is absurd.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

None of which will, for a moment, mean that there will be anything like three quarters of a million Scottish fans there.  The suggestion that it might is absurd.

They’ve had to setup another fanzone up for the cologne game and potentially they’re setting one up for stuttgart aswell Scotland fans only holding up to 50k because the one big fanzone wasn’t enough no other nation is needing an extra fanzone setup that speaks volume of the sheer number of fans that will be there next month all the media outlets like stv the Scottish sun the record all saying 150k fans from Scotland will travel that’s not taking into consideration people travelling from outside Scotland 

2 minutes ago, Calz said:

They’ve had to setup another fanzone up for the cologne game and potentially they’re setting one up for stuttgart aswell Scotland fans only holding up to 50k because the one big fanzone wasn’t enough no other nation is needing an extra fanzone setup that speaks volume of the sheer number of fans that will be there next month all the media outlets like stv the Scottish sun the record all saying 150k fans from Scotland will travel that’s not taking into consideration people travelling from outside Scotland 

Stop posting utter guff pal. There was always two fan zones planned in Cologne and their COMBINED capacity is under 20k. Where are you getting this nonsense from ???