League positions since 'The Split' was introduced

10 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

That would 100% be funnier if we hadn't been 3rd most often (which I have to admit surprised me)

I didn’t even notice the 3rd place bit tbh!

Much like all hearts Aberdeen debates, you can twist this in many ways depending on your allegiances. 

Aberdeen trounce hearts on top 2 finishes, hearts beat us comfortable on 3rd place finishes, hearts edge top 3 finishes 8-7, Aberdeen win on top 4 finishes. 

Posted (edited)

As many would expect, Hibs have a pretty even split across the spectrum from 3rd to 11th. However, we've yet to achieve that coveted 9th place spot in the premiership. There's still a chance we finally make it this year:

|------+---|
| 1st  | 0 |
| 2nd  | 0 |
| 3rd  | 3 |
| 4th  | 3 |
| 5th  | 2 |
| 6th  | 3 |
| 7th  | 3 |
| 8th  | 2 |
| 9th  | 0 |
| 10th | 2 |
| 11th | 2 |
| 12th | 0 |
|------+---|

Edited by Aim Here

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

I didn’t even notice the 3rd place bit tbh!

Much like all hearts Aberdeen debates, you can twist this in many ways depending on your allegiances. 

Aberdeen trounce hearts on top 2 finishes, hearts beat us comfortable on 3rd place finishes, hearts edge top 3 finishes 8-7, Aberdeen win on top 4 finishes. 

Both bigger than Hibs, that's my take away from this.

Posted (edited)

I have been doing some utterly pointless number crunching to look at which teams have finished in the most different league positions over the history of the Scottish League. I've classified a position as being the place in the overall league ranking - for example Dundee United will have finished 13th this season, Falkirk 23rd, Stranraer 42nd etc.

Clyde hold the record, having finished in 36 different positions across the history of the league. The only positions in the top 42 which they haven't finished in are 1st, 2nd, 27th, 33rd, 39th and 40th.

The other clubs with 30 or more different finishing places are Dumbarton (33), Queen's Park (33), Greenock Morton (32), Dundee United (31), East Fife (31), Cowdenbeath (30), Hamilton Accies (30) and Raith Rovers (30).

Motherwell have finished in every position from 1st-21st - they are the only club to have finished in all of the top 20 positions the Scottish League. Hibs and Dundee have each done 1st-19th but not 20th, Killie have done all of them except 19th and poor old Morton have done 2nd-20th but not 1st.

This season*, the sides to finish in a position for the first time were [new] Airdrieonians (16th) Inverness CT (21st), Falkirk (23rd), Cove Rangers (27th), Kelty Hearts (28th), Annan Athletic (30th), Stirling Albion (31st), Edinburgh City (32nd), Spartans (35th), East Fife (37th) and Stranraer (42nd). Airdrie, Kelty, Annan and Spartans finished in their highest ever position, Stranraer finished in their lowest ever.

[Note that Ross County could theoretically still finish 8th for the first time, but are 8 points behind Aberdeen and 7 behind Motherwell with just 3 games to go, so it's very unlikely.]

Edited by craigkillie