Clyde FC Season 24/25

I was never overly convinced with McCall.

Sounds mad when you see what the team recovered from last season, but I think that was done by simply getting much better players in.

His selections have always been inconsistent and often hard to justify (even last season, the left-back issue was daft), and his subs seem to be punts.

The summer was really poorly handled when he signed a whole load of players when really 4 would probably have done. In doing that he gave himself a problem in building a settled side as there are too many options and for a part-time team it's really hard to sift through that many players and have a predictable line-up.

Since Forfar it's been obvious he doesn't know what his team is or how he wants the team to win games. That's a huge failing after having most of the tools (not all of the players are tools, to be fair) in place at the end of last season.

In short, I'm glad he came in and that last season finished the way it did, but I don't think he's really been all that great and am glad he's gone.

Edited by DoingThe42

3 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

In short, I'm glad he came in and that last season finished the way it did, but I don't think he's really been all that great and am glad he's gone.

Hard agree. He's been disappointing from the get go. Got us up and running eventually last season and we were in tremendous form, but it all went to shit. I've tried to remain positive but has been decimated of late.

We do have a squad of great players that *should* be capable of getting us out the division with the correct group in charge.

Surprised McCall agreed to go, but clear to see it’s not working how most would’ve expected with this team. 

I don’t know the Alexandra Park site at all, but we aren’t needing a large stadium anyway. A main stand with terracing round the other sides would suffice, Annan, Montrose, Kelty, Cove are all sitting in league 1 with that sort of stadium. 

7 minutes ago, maccanee said:

What's the chances Mick Kennedy has already been on the phone...

God I really hope this isn't the route we go down but with Clyde you never know.

Surely the team involved in hiring a manager will be looking for one thing - a track record of promotion through the lower leagues. Darren Young is the obvious candidate - he lives locally, is out of work and has been promoted from League Two with two separate teams fairly recently.

You'd expect the usuals to be trotted out, Peter Grant, Hopkin etc and I do think there's a chance we end up trying to bring back Danny Lennon which would be a terrible idea after almost the final several years of his previous stint but as I said, it's Clyde.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

5 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

God I really hope this isn't the route we go down but with Clyde you never know.

Surely the team involved in hiring a manager will be looking for one thing - a track record of promotion through the lower leagues. Darren Young is the obvious candidate - he lives locally, is out of work and has been promoted from League Two with two separate teams.

He’s the first name that sprung to mind with me too. Got to thank McCall for keeping us up last season but I think it’s the right decision.

28 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Surprised McCall agreed to go, but clear to see it’s not working how most would’ve expected with this team. 

I don’t know the Alexandra Park site at all, but we aren’t needing a large stadium anyway. A main stand with terracing round the other sides would suffice, Annan, Montrose, Kelty, Cove are all sitting in league 1 with that sort of stadium. 

there isn't even room for that sort of stadium. it's a total non starter.

Darren Young wouldn't be a bad shout. i'm sure he'd get a better tune out of that squad than McCall did.  

Not been in here for a bit and we've got a homeless football clubs fans turning their nose up at a perfectly good stadium like Galabank and shouts of Ian Murray and Jack Ross reuniting their dream team of the Dumbarton Championship years, all while sitting 9th in LEAGUE TWO. Never change, lads. 

I would echo the comments about never being fully sold on McCall. It seemed like an incredible appointment when it was made, particularly given how dire our situation was, but I'm sure plenty of others could've guided us to safety given the amount we went on to spend in January. I'll always be grateful that he managed it, of course, but it's been nowhere near good enough this season given the eye-watering spend. It's still hard to reconcile with where we are given the feeling we all had three games into the League Cup.

I think there'll be plenty of managers who will fancy working with that squad but there are obviously financial questions looming over us and that may be a dissuading factor for a few. I actually think that Danny Lennon would do an alright job with a squad this strong, but you'd need to rip it up and start again at the end of the season so he couldn't sign any players, so that's already a complete no-go for me. Young is one of the first names that springs to mind, but without wanting to think too far ahead, his record above L2 is poor and he tends to have a bias towards his own guys. Intrigued to see which route we go down.

Darren Young would be as good a shout as any. Ian Murray done a good job with raith and could easily get another championship job, Jack Ross is involved at Newcastle in the academy is he not? 

Let’s be realistic here. 

39 minutes ago, maccanee said:

What's the chances Mick Kennedy has already been on the phone...

He has more security at EK, no chance he is even putting himself forward, especially after the rumour/counter rumours the last time.

3 hours ago, Clyde_MM said:

I don't think talk of Rome burning and 15 years of failure but giving the benefit of the doubt makes any sense.

If you know something, say it. If you don't, don't.

The Board have screwed up time after time and the former vice chair warning of potential insolvency - Maitland stepped down as Chair after short tenure and our resident hop on the board, hop off the board Red Adair back on the board and most likely unofficially never been away......that's enough really but loads of detail around this too.