Rebus

9 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

I love all the Rebus books even if the last few have been disappointing and shown why he needs put out to grass. 

Haven't watched any of the series on BBC Scotland yet, they're all on my planner but would it be fair to say I'd be better not to bother and simply delete?

No - I thought it was all right.  Not the best TV ever, but it was ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made it to the end last night. A bit of a slog to be honest.

Very clunky scripts/acting/directing. In some areas a bit pointless, like bringing Malcolm Fox into it who ends up doing nothing of any note.  

As a reader of the books though, we have characters who showed up decades apart now together on screen. I get the need for license but it was a little like Rebus Bingo. Every major character was in it, and as such they were all underplayed. None of the baddies had gravitas. 

And then we get Edinburgh. I caught 5 minutes of the John Hannah Rebus last week and he was in a shitehole of a flat talking to a junkie. Here we have a policeman able to afford a city centre flat. Every scene in a million pound house. I used to joke that all movies set in Paris had to have the Eiffel tower in the background - Edinburgh Castle was in virtually every shot. 

• 1 month later...

Juat finished it. As a standalone tv programme it was fine. Nothing noteworthy but watchable. 

Didn't really feel anything like the actual Rebus novels.

I'd definitely say the adaptation of Irvine Welsh's Crime on STV was a far better watch