Next debutant in Europe?

8 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Not sneering. Just asking why Hearts have a greater coefficient. Genuine question.

Not arguing against Hibs' past exploits either - you've had some decent teams in the past.

I think it's based on the last what, 5 years. So Hearts have a solid baseline from the last 2 to draw on, and I think by this time next year will be comfortably be 3rd, barring a Kilie run to the ECL Semi.

51 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

I think it's based on the last what, 5 years. So Hearts have a solid baseline from the last 2 to draw on, and I think by this time next year will be comfortably be 3rd, barring a Kilie run to the ECL Semi.

That's pretty shan of UEFA to overlook the glory days of Hibs in the 50s and 60s and to base their assessment on... the likes of Malmo and Inter d'Escaldes of Andorra.

😄

I see that 10 players who play in the Scottish Premiership are currently scheduled to play in Euro 2024 this year. They are all representing Scotland: Gordon, Kelly, Clark, Souttar, Taylor, Ralston, Jack, McGregor, Forrest and Shankland. Denmark haven't named even a provisional squad yet, so that may rise to 11 if Matt O'Riley is taken by Denmark.

I think that it adds to the weight of evidence as to where our league sits in the European pecking order. 

5 hours ago, Crùbag said:

That's pretty shan of UEFA to overlook the glory days of Hibs in the 50s and 60s and to base their assessment on... the likes of Malmo and Inter d'Escaldes of Andorra.

😄

The UEFA coefficient isn't actually meant to be a historical measure of all-time performance in Europe though, or even a relative ranking of who is better than who now - it's purely for seeding.

It is impossible to consider Hearts' record in Europe anything other than terrible for the size of the club.

On 29/05/2024 at 23:52, craigkillie said:

The UEFA coefficient isn't actually meant to be a historical measure of all-time performance in Europe though, or even a relative ranking of who is better than who now - it's purely for seeding.

It is impossible to consider Hearts' record in Europe anything other than terrible for the size of the club.

It could obviously be better, but "terrible" seems way over the top.

Hearts have generally performed exactly to expectation in Europe, with a few near misses and good one-off results against better opposition. Birkirkara is probably the only real shocker. I don't even think there's been another instance of us losing over 90 minutes to a lower seed, let alone a two-legged tie?

In the 21st century I've seen us knock out Braga and Rosenborg, get one-off wins against Stuttgart, Basel (away), Bordeaux (away) and Dinamo Zagreb, and be minutes away from taking Liverpool to extra time at Anfield. I've also seen us take a few doings, but I don't think we'd been pumped home and away by anyone until we played Fiorentina and Basaksehir with a makeshift defence.

On 29/05/2024 at 23:52, craigkillie said:

Half agree. Don't think it's terrible but we could've done better, sure. I'd say our record at home - same with Hibs and maybe the Dons - has been a sorry story of underachievement with the odd blip of glory. If it weren't for our record over Hibs, life would be fairly miserable.

On 31/05/2024 at 12:23, DC92 said:

It could obviously be better, but "terrible" seems way over the top.

Hearts have generally performed exactly to expectation in Europe, with a few near misses and good one-off results against better opposition. Birkirkara is probably the only real shocker. I don't even think there's been another instance of us losing over 90 minutes to a lower seed, let alone a two-legged tie?

In the 21st century I've seen us knock out Braga and Rosenborg, get one-off wins against Stuttgart, Basel (away), Bordeaux (away) and Dinamo Zagreb, and be minutes away from taking Liverpool to extra time at Anfield. I've also seen us take a few doings, but I don't think we'd been pumped home and away by anyone until we played Fiorentina and Basaksehir with a makeshift defence.

It's terrible and this is most typical Hearts response going. 

Remove the results from the Lance Armstrong era too. 

6 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

It's terrible and this is most typical Hearts response going. 

Remove the results from the Lance Armstrong era too. 

Of the results I mentioned, only the one-off win over Zagreb in 2009 (which barely made the list) could remotely be considered to be in the "Lance Armstrong era" I'm afraid.

We've only been humbled by lower level opposition once ever and usually get beaten by better opponents despite some notable exceptions and near misses. That's mediocre, not terrible. Feel free to articulate an alternative view.

Anyway back to the original topic of next European debut.... I suspect we are a while away and it's likely to be one of these slightly monied teams that have been making decent, albeit now faltering, progress over the last few years