Seal the trapdoor

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Edit: the reason why B teams haven’t had an impact on youth development is because they’re a fucking dreadful idea, not anything to do with the league structure. 

Tell that to Macauley Tait, James Wilson, Finlay Pollock, Aiden Denholm and Lewis Neilson who have all come via the B team at Hearts in the last two years to play first team, plus a few others who have made the bench. Neilson you will be familiar with of course.   

Has the B team had a positive impact on their development? that's open to conjecture but I'm guessing Hearts and Celtic wouldn't be spunking the cash if they didn't think it was of benefit.

I very much doubt a couple of games in the diddy cup are of much benefit to the other "scratch" B teams though.

28 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Tell that to Macauley Tait, James Wilson, Finlay Pollock, Aiden Denholm and Lewis Neilson who have all come via the B team at Hearts in the last two years to play first team, plus a few others who have made the bench. Neilson you will be familiar with of course.   

Neilson had played 15 times in the Scottish Premiership (and eight times in League One) before signing for Hearts. I think we can safely say that a handful of lowland league appearances were a fucking waste of his time.

I don’t know enough about the rest of them to comment.

Hearts and Celtic of course are clubs that exclusively make good decisions financially. 

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Neilson had played 15 times in the Scottish Premiership (and eight times in League One) before signing for Hearts. I think we can safely say that a handful of lowland league appearances were a fucking waste of his time.

Hearts and Celtic of course are clubs that exclusively make good decisions financially. 

You got there just before me addressing that nonsense.

Lewis Neilson a product of B team football. Fucking f**k me.

32 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That's what Googling badly does, but the rest of them have come via the B team.  There's also a couple at Celtic who have featured in the first team this season.

We'll see how these players progress over the further 3 years these two B teams have in the LL.

20 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

Lewis Neilson a perfect example of the harm B teams do.

Messing about in a glorified amateur league when he could have been playing in the top flight.

He wasn't though, looking at his stats he played 16 times for the first team including in Europe, before being loaned out to Partick this season.  He did play for Hearts B team at the start when he first arrived from Dundee United but probably only a handful of appearances.   My mistake assuming he came via the Hearts system.

3 hours ago, BigM84 said:

The proof has been showing in the teams who have come up they have all went up division other than Spartans who were a bawhair away from going up.

Bonnyrigg haven't gone up.

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Keep the premier at 12, then have 2x 16 team leagues with a January break, bottom spfl should feed into Highland, Lowland West and East with top two clubs from these playing a 5 game series round robin to determine 3 promotion places. 

I like this idea. Plus Midlands and SoS Winners could choose which League to get promoted to..HL, LLE or LLW

4 hours ago, BigM84 said:

I'm new to adding any comments to these chats even though am addament reader of pie & bovril.. I have not read all the chat so forgive me if what am about to say has been says  and don't take offence to this opinion. But having played and coached in the lowland league a think alot of comments are abiit negative. Some of these club owners put alot of money and resources to try and get promotion knowing that chances of promotion are very very slim. A know a former spfl clubs budget one season was the same as the top sides in league 1 that season and they didn't get near promotion.. why can't we offer a better pathway for these clubs who show more ambition than some of the spfl teams. The proof has been showing in the teams who have come up they have all went up division other than Spartans who were a bawhair away from going up. The reason LL accepted "B" teams was they got dangled a carrot that was too good to turn down. A personally don't see issue of letting B teams into league cause evidence hss shown so far that they have done ok in LL but nothing else.. I would personally change whole set uo of scottish football but make league 2 a 22 team league.. I would reply this in another chat but make 2x proffesional leagues at top of maybe 14 and a 12. Leaving 16 from current set up winners of LL and HL and bring in 4x b teams and make them pay initial fee to play In league and if they get promoted to go no higher than next league up. They are not allowed in the cup comps. Then end of season 4 teams to be relegated to z regions based on their locations and introduce playoffs through HL and LL... what you think?

When did Bonnyrigg get promoted fron league 2?

5 minutes ago, amnarab said:

I like this idea. Plus Midlands and SoS Winners could choose which League to get promoted to..HL, LLE or LLW

Theres also scope that you could split each league after the 30 games to have a play off type format or indeed could have a ‘divisional cup’ with prize money or the bonus of entering the league cup next year as a higher seed or something. 

19 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not as far as I am aware, if anything the stance hardened. You got a source for something different?

Can't find anything but I do recall it being mentioned that change could see Elgin (for example) could be relegated and choose to play in the LL if they so wished.

8 minutes ago, May Rckinnon said:

They were promoted on their best supported club in league 2 performance no?

Their commitment to not improving facilities probably made it automatic promotion.

4 hours ago, not man of the match said:

Can't find anything but I do recall it being mentioned that change could see Elgin (for example) could be relegated and choose to play in the LL if they so wished.

The position is that clubs in the SPFL were never consulted re the Highland/Lowland boundary.  That then caused a problem when Brechin were being forced into the HL rather than the LL which was their preference for various reasons.  Subsequently it was agreed that each SPFL 2 club at the start of each season would indicate their preference whether HL or LL.  That is then shared with the HL and LL.  At the end of the season the club going down goes into the league nominated unless said League objects.  If agreement then not reached I think the SFA can arbitrate.  Don’t think there have been any contentious choices put forward at start of season thus far 

On 21/05/2024 at 16:38, Clyde01 said:

Surely it’s time to get the b-teams out of the challenge cup too. Some of the smaller premier league teams aren’t even able to field a side and end up withdrawing. Most of the others get whipped off highland and lowland league sides. The only b-teams that generally progress are the old firm and this causes problems as the games are played during international weekends when they can’t field a team due to youth internationals.

There is no way you can convince me that playing a couple of matches per season in this competition has any meaningful impact on player development. The only purpose has seemingly been to make a precedent for them being in the lowland league.

I would love to return the Challenge Cup to its original structure, perhaps with ALL Highland/Northern League clubs included. This would give us 64 participants, an easy number for the draws, and a format that could be done with the same number of rounds as at present.

I've been told that the problem with the current setup is not down to the semi-professional clubs wanting them there to have "glamorous" fixtures. It was part of the deal when the League Cup moved back to the group structure. Participation for their B teams in the Challenge Cup was a price that the premiership teams extracted for this.

On 21/05/2024 at 11:52, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

The main problem for me is that 2 leagues feeding into one is always going to create a bottleneck as at most 1 team from each league is ever going to get promoted as having more than 2 teams go down from a 10 team league (League 2) seems a nonsense.

That or 4 x leagues of 12, each having a split.

It's an inherent issue for any pyramid structure that at some point you are going to have a higher number of leagues at the next level down thereby potentially making it more difficult to get promotion. I think we could deal with this in Scotland if we increase the size of the bottom league in the SPFL, so that the chances of suffering relegation are not unacceptably high. I wouldn't be unhappy with automatic relegation from a 16/18 team SPFL Tier 4. But as you say two automatic relegation places from the league of only 10 is unacceptable. 

Tended to prefer the original idea for the SPFL of 12-12-18 before things like the 8-8-8 split killed off the talk. Keeps it at 42 members so the revenue share isn't diluted just a little tweaked.

Premiership stays the same, can't really have any complaints.

Championship expands to give the full-time teams that can't help themselves an extra chance of staying in the 2nd tier.  

The 18 could stretch to 2 up and a play-off with 10th in the Championship similar to what we see with the current Premiership play-off. Bottom 2 relegated.